R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPushing The Limits On Tow Vehicles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pushing The Limits On Tow Vehicles
    Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 12:18am
I thought I would find my answer on this forum existing already but since I didn't see exactly what I am looking for I will post it here.

I have 2016 R178 that at most when loaded up is 3k lb (don't carry anything in the tanks) and TV 2003 Toyota 4Runner 4.0L V6 with 5k lb tow rating. The TV will have supplies and our family but less than max allowed weight. I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH.

I am conflicted by all the people I see on this forum and elsewhere that have less towing power that say they do perfectly fine with no issues. Either they only travel on flat land, I have unreasonable expectations, my rig has issues or it's truly not enough power to tow what I have. Talking to others most say my rig should handle towing just fine even in the mountains and it does go well just not on the passes or steep hills.

For example going over the Oregon Coast range that I would not consider a real steep grade when I hit a hill I need to push my RPMs up to 3400 to 3800 just to stay in the 50 to 54 mph range. Above 54/55 mph is not an option as I am already pushing hard on the pedal just to stay in the 50's. If I want to keep it sub 3000 RPM then I am doing like 45 to 49 mph getting a long string of cars behind me on the single lanes.

Should I be able to go faster on the hills? Are my expectations not realistic? Is it okay pushing the RMPs to the 3500 to 4000 for short bursts to get up hills? I don't want to go real fast. I know towing a trailer is something to be more cautious about yet want to go a reasonable speed.

I am debating replacing my 4.0L V6 4Runner for a 4.7L V8 4Runner and don't know if that additional torque and tow capacity will help a lot on the hills? I know HP is not more on the V8. I don't want to get a pickup and love my 4Runner so would prefer to keep it.

Besides the Rpod my only prior experience towing was years ago owning a wave runner so this is a new territory for me! Thanks for any advice anyone reading this has.
2016 R178
2007 Ford Expedition V8 5.4L
Planetwister View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 1:57am
you aren't straining it real hard. it will be fine
GLORY TO GOD

2016 178 Hood River
2004 F150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 7:17am

The tow vehicle debate is one that will go on forever. What you describe is what I would expect from your vehicle. I don't think there are any "problems".

With a V6, one is at the minimal end of towing capability. Couple this with terrain that you drive in and, yes, you'll be pushing the vehicle hard. I doubt going with the small V8 (mentioned) would gain you a lot, for the money spent. Think bigger/more motor, if you intend to replace your present vehicle.

When it comes to TVs, there is what will work and there is what will work well. Some are fine with turning high RPMs and 40-45 MPH on the interstate. Others have no choice. They have what they have - until something else can be purchased.

Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 8:05am
There was a posting on the R-Pod facebook site this weekend about a Pod in Oregon which flipped on the highway. The Pod was on it's side and the tow vehicle, a small SUV on its roof. The discussion on FB suggested that it was a situation where the tow vehicle was not capable of safely pulling the pod. There may have been wind or speed involved.

You could search the R-Pod Owners group on FB or Google if you want to research that.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 8:40am
Not sure what the differences are, but we tow with a 2008 4Runner Limited 4.0L and have no complaints.

From here (New Jersey) our trips have included: Big Sur, up the coast to Olympic National Park and back. From here to Ottawa, to Florida, to Maine and a whole bunch of shorter trips. We usually travel pretty loaded, erhh, I mean we don't travel light - kayaks, bikes, yammy 2400, cat and wayy too much stuff. We have never had an issue except for the one time I drove into underground parking with the kayaks on top --- argh!!

We normally drive in 4th and around 60-65. I don't mind pushing it above 3000 rpm when needed. It's a good truck.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 10:42am
Those folks behind will just have to get over it.  they don't own the road.  But -- one should not be afraid to use a turn out to let the folks go by.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 10:46am
We pull our 179 with a 2012 Highlander with a 3.5L V6 and towing package, and it will handle grades up to 8% without much trouble. We took a trip to central WV this spring and the TV was able to maintain the speed limit on every grade except two 8-9% grades. Even then, it did pretty well.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 12:18pm

To paraphrase (or maybe quote) one our members:
"Nobody has ever complained about having too much power....NOBODY."

This is true.

With the possible exception of these folks:

way too fast

Sorry...I couldn't resist
NWRPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 4:02pm
For TheBum... it sounds like the Highlander is working out well. What kind of RPMs are at when climbing these hills?

For fwunder it seems you have a very similar setup to mine and you re traveling ALL over! The only thing I can think of is your 4Runner is 5 speed and mine is 4 speed. Doesn't seem that would make a big difference. I must be overly cautious on how much I am pushing it on the hills.

Thanks for all the comments. It's very helpful.
2016 R178
2007 Ford Expedition V8 5.4L
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 5:32pm
Let's not forget the difference between diesel and gasoline engines.  Diesels produce their max torque at much lower RPMs than do gasoline engines, and have a much flatter torque curve (their torque is roughly the same at all RPMs, and yes, I know that's a broad statement).  Gasoline engines must rev up much higher to produce their max torque, and their torque curve is much more rounded/ peaked.

Also, diesel engines produce more torque than similarly sized gasoline engines.  Power = torque times RPM times some constants, so you can see that a higher torque capability means lower RPM at same power levels.  Your 4Runner is spec'd at 245 horsepower @ 5,200 RPM and 283 pound-feet of torque @ 3,400 RPM.  The new Dodge Ram or Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 liter diesel produce 420 lb-ft @ 2,000 RPM and 240 hp @ 3,600 RPM.  Note the torque difference and the closer RPMs on the diesel.

It makes sense to me that you must rev up your engine to climb hills.  You have to get to the peak torque point on the curve.  

Other things to consider might be valve blow-by or ignition issues that keep your engine from producing its max power.  After all, it is 13 years old -- how many miles on the engine?  Those other folks might be driving TV with diesel engines or have newer engines with less wear.  For comparison, I tow my 2015 RP178 at 60mph max.  I slow down going up steep grades to limit RPM excursions on the engine.  
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>