R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcaulk on front and back

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: caulk on front and back
    Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 3:11pm
My new pod has weathered at least one winter at the dealership and it shows in spots...which is no big deal.  My bigger concern is the caulking.  The dicor tan stuff up top looks thick and goopy and all fine but the curved front and back along the black trim where it has I think clear caulk seems really inconsistent.  

Should there be a steady bead all along the black trim on the front and back and if so what is my best strategy?  I can't run back to the dealer as it was in another state...downfall of buying a discontinued floor plan.  Thanks!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 8:35pm
It is hard to tell just from your description. A picture or two would help. The little icon that looks like two boxes with an arrow pointing up and right in the icon bar takes you to an advanced reply editing screen. There, look for something that looks like a picture. It will open a dialogue where you can upload a picture. You may need to use a picture edtiting program to reduce the size of the picture so it stays under the size limit.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podvader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 6:28pm
Sorry, I haven't been able to snap a photo yet.  After finding some pictures on the web i think my roof is ok.  I think my main issue us the curved area on the front.  Most pods i see have an almost transparent caulk running along the trim when you look from the front.  Mine has that sloppy tan calk coming down the front almost a quarter of the way before it becomes clear and has the clean look.  I am a little nervous about it covering something up but even more it just looks awful.  If I buy clear rv caulk to try and repair this what is the best approach to meeting up with the roof area?  Can anyone tell me where the "sloppy" thick caulk on the roof stops and where the thin transparent caulking starts?  Is it just an abrupt change where one ends and the other begins?  I will try and get a pic tomorrow.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 10:10pm
The "sloppy tan caulk" is lap sealant, most likely Dicor self-leveling lap sealant. It is supposed to be the best thing to use when surfaces are subject to flexing.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podvader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 10:51pm
I don't think this is dicor...I think it is just thick tan caulk where the outside walls meet the roof. Either way I am just trying to see how it transitions in a normal pod from the factory.
 Post Reply Post Reply