R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeight Dist. Hitch info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TheBum View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Dist. Hitch info
    Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 4:50pm
FWIW, the spring bars on my Fastway E2 are quite a bit lighter than the ones on our previous EaZ Lift Elite WDH. Most of that weight savings is getting rid of the heavy chains, but the bars also appear to be shorter.
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 8:32pm
I am so looking forward to not having to deal with those heavy tension bars.  Will contact Andersen tomorrow and finalize purchase.  Thanks all for your comments.  It is such a departure from all of the other WDH that many are skeptical.  All who have one, however, love it.  Looking forward to tomorrow.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
kent l View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 7:53pm
I have an Anderson Hitch. I bit the bullet payed the price. I needed one I tow in Wyoming with a lots of winds. I tow with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I do not regret the purchase. I need it for safety and the weight distribution. It is a great product
PODSKI View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 12:20pm
PODSKI
PODSKI View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 12:20pm
Camper Bob,   I have been using one for 18 months.   I works for sway and anti porpoise perfectly.   After I replaced the friction cone it is now quiet.   Andersen provided a new cone and I installed it in about 15 minutes.   As far as weight distribution--it does a job but at the higher tongue weights it is less effective.   I find tongue weights under 450 lbs. it works good.   It is light and easy to use.   I also found that setting the ball height on the TV at a greater distance than Andersen recommends helps in the effectiveness of the weight distribution.  Mine is bolted on the A frame.
PODSKI

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 12:07pm
I think a call to Andersen might answer any questions I may have.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:15am
Camper Bob,

FWIW from our Livinlite forum: The take on the Andersen is it's good on sway, but not so good on weight distribution. The geometry is such that it is unable to distribute significant hitch weight compared to conventional spring bar hitches. This may or may not be an issue for you depending on where you're coming from. When I towed a 172 with a Honda Pilot, similar to your Nissan, I needed WD to smooth out the porpoising. It made a huge difference. The Andersen has also been plagued by noisy friction sleeves, but they have been replaced without argument. Other than that the Andersen gets good reviews.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:06am
It is on my list - waiting for the checkbook to recharge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 10:26am
Thanks so much.  I have been intrigued with this hitch since Thursday when another Pod parked next to us on our last trip with one.  The tension bars that I now have are getting to be a pain to install and take off each time.  In searching on the web, there are not a whole lot of comments.  What I did find were pretty positive, but so many were skittish because of such a departure from other types of WDH.  Gonna order it tomorrow after a final chat with Andersen.  Again, thanks for the input.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 8:56am
 I have had mine since Summer 2015. It works well, no sway, and NO porpoising-bounciness. Very
 smooth ride.

It doesn't use tension springs like traditional WD hitches. Instead it uses a Urethane Bumper "spring". The amount of tension is fully adjustable to get the trailer level regardless of tongue weight. 

BEWARE the YouTube video showing how "easy" and "quick" the installation is.  It does take an hour, maybe two, to install on the R-Pod. I had to shorten the chain links using a fiberglass reinforced cut off wheel, and also had to remove and relocate the trailer break-away switch so I could mount the WD hitch on the A-Frame.

My latest addition has been the purchase of two new chain tension nuts ($30). The hitch came with two, and after adjusting the trailer level, I found that after 100 miles or so of driving, the 2 nuts would back off, and I would start to get a bit of bounciness and tow ball creaking noise similar to not having the WD active at all.  It went this way for about 5 trips last year.

I carry the included giant nut socket with me and a 1/2 inch drive socket wrench and re-tighten and everything is OK again. But now I am going to add the extra two nuts as jam nuts, two on each link to keep them from undoing.

The hitch can be removed and installed without disconnecting the chains, but you must be able to jack the trailer and tow vehicle up to create slack in the chains to take the triangle plate collar on/off the tow ball mount. That's why I added an electric tongue jack.  My first test using the new improved system will be this September, 22-25, in Vermont for mountain biking.

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>