Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChange the TV to a 12V DC model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change the TV to a 12V DC model
    Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 4:38pm
I wasn't so much dissappointed that the TV/DVD would not work on 12-volt, but I was very discouraged to find out even the radio won't work without shore power.  That kinda sucks.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 6:16pm
Fairly easy to fix, just get a 50 watt inverter and mount it in the cabinet where the 'pod's TV plugs in.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 6:46am
Originally posted by techntrek

Fairly easy to fix, just get a 50 watt inverter and mount it in the cabinet where the 'pod's TV plugs in.  

Can you suggest one online?

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:38pm
Just one example:  http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-50-Watt-DC-Inverter/dp/B00008XYHY

For that price it is most likely a modified sine wave inverter (not true sine wave like your utility delivers to your home).  For just a few bucks more you can get a 150 watt or even a 400 watt modified sine wave inverter - but in general you want an inverter loaded at about 75% of its rated wattage to get the most efficiency from it.  So if you will usually be using just the TV the 50 watt model may be best.

Personally, I would spend the extra bucks to get a low-end pure sine wave inverter.  There are some 125 watt pure sine inverters available at the link below (look under Exeltech and Samlex).  Some things will not run from a modified sine wave, plus most things run more efficiently on pure sine.  Jumping up to 125 watts give you the ability to run other things for a few minutes, like a few 14 watt CFLs outside during setup when you arrive in the dark (I do this myself). 

Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:57pm
I dunno... a TV/DVD player is starting to be oldschool now.  We barely use ours at all.  In fact, I think it was turned on twice all of last year.  Of course, live TV is fairly useless to us as very few of the areas we camp have any TV signals at all.

Our movie watching is done off of my netbook using hi-def video I've recorded at home off of The Movie Network (its a Canadian version of Cinemax) and copied to a portable hard drive.  When we have guests, I'll bring along a projector and sheet/screen so we can have movie night outside.

Also, and I'll admit that there is a high geek factor here, I've setup a web service where we can connect to our PVR and stream any TV shows that have been recorded since we left the house.  Of course, we have to be in an area where we get a 3G/4G signal on our cell phones.

My netbook, of course, has a 12v adapter and can be charged from one of the 12v accessory outlets I've installed in our r-pod.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 12:45pm
I guess this might be a new thing, but the HDTV that came with the 176 I bought on friday runs on DC.  It came with a standard 110 plug and a converter, as well as a cigarette lighter plug.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 9:50pm
Nice to hear they are HD now, and DC!
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by FISHTAIL

I guess this might be a new thing, but the HDTV that came with the 176 I bought on friday runs on DC.  It came with a standard 110 plug and a converter, as well as a cigarette lighter plug.

Do you have a cigarette lighter plug in your camper?  (I don't have one in mine.)  Or is that a mod you would have to make?
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 10:50pm
Diane, there is a cigarette lighter plug in my 182G.  In fact there are two--one is right by the door where the entertainment center is along with the one in the garage.  I love the television that is in the trailer--it's much nicer than the one that we have in the house.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 11:07pm
Hmmm TP, I wonder if that is a new thing Forest River is adding because it's on you 182G and I'm assumming it's also on Fishtail's 176.  Mine is a 2011 RP177 - I wonder why I don't have a cigarette lighter plug.  Maybe I need to take another look in my tv cabinet and check it out.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>