Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Rpods - Event Date: 12 Sep 2016 - 01 Oct 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New Rpods
    Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 8:04pm
Steve, I don't have the highlander but I tow with the Toyota FJ Cruiser and also has 5000lb towing + 5oolb tongue weight. The FJ tows our 2012 177 pod really well. I only have 1 sway bar and so far that is all I have needed. We are just finishing our 5th year with the pod. Hope this helps somewhat.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
Nittybelle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 5:26pm
We looked at the Hummingbird as well, I have to be truthful and tell you we simply bought the R Pod because of the better deal financially. Both are very similar in layout, different color schemes, I'm happy with our choice. You will be too!
Nittbelle
Steve 911 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 8:03pm
I think finances might be the determining factor for us as well since both units are so similar.
Thanks everyone for your comments. 
Firefighter Steve (retired)
2017.5 Rpod 179 (Reepod)
2016 Highlander AWD w/tow pkg.
E2 wdh, prodigy RF brake controller.
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 9:54am
We just got back from the Hershey RV show and walked back and forth through the RP180, the Jayco Hummingbird  and the Winnebago WD170S.  We have the say the RP wins hands down.  Even if it wasn't $2000 cheaper.  The RP has the most storage space.  This is basically a couples TT.  One cannot sleep on the converted dinette.  For that reason the RPOD is narrow which gives it more open space.  Look at the pictures and you will see very small space to get out of the bed due to the large dinette.  Even with the larger dinette of the Jayco it is still narrow to hold more than a child.  So no brainer for us we want the larger space.  The Jayco has a curved rear which takes space away from the dry batch.  The vanity has a small drawer due to it being cut and there is only a few inches of space at the floor between the back wall and the shower, hard to stand in front of the vanity and shave (or wait there is no mirror on the Jayco above the vanity!)  there is also no closet when you first enter the Jayco RV on the left.  Oh it must be in the bath.  Wrong no closet here just a cabinet.  The RPOD has both.  The dealers are saying they are selling the Jaycos as soon as they come onto the lot.  I do not see why someone would buy the Jayco for more money with less features (except the wider dinette).  Why would you buy a two way refrig when RPOD has a three way!  The Winnie also has no advantages and is also $2000 more.  The next build date for RPODs will be a big one in Nov and Dec as the new models are selling well. Ours will be made then for a March delivery.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 1:10pm
Looks like you did your homework and made the wise choice, given the alternatives.  Ours was a much easier decision to make in 2011.  We picked the 177 and still enjoy it immensely today.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 7:08pm
Bought my new 2016 180 in June, saw a Winnebago 170s yesterday at an RV dealer, it is almost a clone.
It's  exactly the same floorplan from the slideout kitchen with the same cabinets and appliances, same dinette, drybath and bed. And the same width and length.

Only upgrades i saw were the slideout awning as standard and an a full awning on the door side as standard
Are these two companies under the same umbrella? 
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 4:29am
Welcome, as a 180 owner who towed with a highlander I can tell you it works well. you will need a weight distributing hitch and a trailer brake. Milage dropped down to 11-14 mpg. Also I would recommend load leveling for the suv as the rear sags a bit when loaded. But it hauled it well. I now haul with an f150 for bikes, kayaks and stuff,(and cause I have one) same mpg though.
The 180 was our choice due to the dry bath/changing room. The dinette size has never been an issue for eating and hanging out, and I sleep there because it's more comfortable than the crappy mattress that came with the coach,and dislike climbing over the wife to pee,(she insists on the isle side) I'm 5'10 and 180lbs.
The Winnebago 170s is an almost exact clone but comes with slide awning and main awning and skylights over the shower (rpod needs this)for $3k more. But I don't know what the prices of the new blue-awning equipped 180s will be.
The Jayco is wider but I like the smaller width for the kind of boonedock dirt road stuff we do in the desert out here in CA.
Best of luck to you!
Rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 11:28am
There is a price list for the new RPODS in the Reviews section under "new 2017 colors".  Basically the list price increased $1000 and the electric tongue jack adds $213 to the price.  Options are the same price and the awning is priced the same as the R DOME. But this is still less than $2000 compared to the competition.  The Winnebago Winnie is pretty much a clone and is not produced by the same manufacturer or even licensed.  In fact Forest River has a lawsuit pending against them.  The Jayco is not wider they just list the width as 8 feet  while RPOD list them as 6.5 feet.  They are both 6.5 feet (outer wall to outer wall) but if you measure from the wheels they are both 8 feet.  We wanted the 6.5 foot width so that it would not be much wider than the TV so that we do not need to add rear view mirror extensions. The slide out makes the interior width the same size as a 8 foot trailer
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 1:58pm
You should check the states that you want to visit, quite a few require mirror extenders. A lot of the mirror laws are weird. In Vermont you would need mirror extenders it you vehicle mirror does not measure at least 5 1/2 inches in diameter.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 2:52pm
I did not know there were mirror laws.  I was automatically going to get them but then I found out there were no aftermarket ones designed for a Jeep.  So the only ones available are generic strap ons which all have negative reviews that they slip off.  So I thought I would be ok and not need them with the narrower RPOD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>