R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMattress Replacement 178 - Event Date: 09 Nov 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Mattress Replacement 178
    Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 6:37pm
Just checked on Overstock.com.  They have eurotop innerspring mattresses.  Short queens that measure 60" x 74"  with varying thicknesses with prices ranging from 257.49 to 333.99.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Weekend Warrior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 1:28pm
Great topic. The factory mattress is plain junk. What I did on my 180 was replace the worthless factory mattress with a full size futon mattress. This allows you to buy a full size mattress cover and sheets and you don't have to spend ridiculous money for the short queen sheets. With the slightly smaller futon mattress on top, you get 3 to 5 extra inches of space along the long front wall and more room between the head and foot side walls. Now I can make the bed with ease.
I bought a 10 inch thick futon for $200 bucks and whats nice about it, is that it folds nicely when you access the pump or valves underneath the platform.
Now I sleep so much better. If the small 3-5 inch gap bugs the person next to the front wall, just place a few rolled up towels or some sponge in the gap. I roll up some beach towels and place my 38 special there.  
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 1:03pm
The 11 inch NuForm has excellent reviews at Overstock.  Just make sure a short Queen is 60x74. While a regular Queen in 60x80 short Queens can be 76 or 78 inches and will be tight in the RPOD if bigger than 74"
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/NuForm-Quilted-Pillow-Top-11-inch-Short-Queen-size-RV-Plush-Foam-Mattress/8931308/product.html?refccid=MS7HDZE2ZRRIUESCHGLQQLXHIM&searchidx=5
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 11:40am
Tom, we bought the same mattress as Jato, "innerspring eurotop" from camping world. Next year will be starting our 5th year with it. VERY satisfied. But I'm not sure on this part, I thought I heard where camping world has gone away from that mattress.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
GlibGuy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 11:22am
Two things I don't like about the 178:  1) it's hard as heck to put on a mattress cover or fitted sheet since 3 sides are flush against walls, and 2) there is not enough inside storage.

I'm considering replacing the stock short queen with a TWIN sized mattress.  I'm thinking a twin would be easier to "make up" and the extra 20+ inches created could hold stackable storage boxes or I could fab some kind of shelving.

Any thoughts or feelings out there?  And before you ask, when the wife goes we can't sleep in the queen.  We have two Yorkies that sleep with her and I sleep on the dinette.  

MICK
kent l View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 7:58pm
 I bought a a new mattress, the stock one is not very good. I hated it! I slept on it a few times very cheap and not supportive. I bought the same mattress as Curtis in the post above me great mattress and good price. All r-pods should have a better mattress! 
scentralmt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 12:08am
We wanted a better mattress.  I think any mattress would be better than what comes with the trailer.  We tried adding a foam topper but that wasn't enough. Looked on Amazon and found the one linked below.  We like it and the price was great.  The 10" short queen is $169.

Curtis

Curtis
2014 177
2001 F150
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 9:07pm
After 3 trips we decided to get the mattress in a roll, Eurotop mattress from Camping World.  Great mattress even after 5 years of use.  Just as comfy now as when we purchased it in 2011.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 8:13pm
we bought this one and are very pleased with it:

Serenia Sleep 8-Inch Memory Foam RV Mattress, Short Queen

on Amazon.

forgot to say we also bought these sheets from amazon and are VERY pleased with them.  We bought two more sets for our home bedroom.

600 Thread Count Egyptian Cotton Bed Sheets for Camper's, RV's Bunks & Travel Trailers 4 Piece Sheet Set 10" Deep Short Queen (60X75") Ivory Solid

Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 1:59pm
We have the 10" Queen RV Memory Foam Mid/Firm, 299.99 made in USA. Fitted sheet is fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>