R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpanel below gridge on 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: panel below gridge on 179
    Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:28pm
Has anyone had a problem with the panel below the fridge that hides many wires ,coming loose. there are only two screws that hold it at the top. this panel moves in and out as you open and close yout 179 slideout. I tried tightening the two wcrews every time,but they they keep coming loose while pulling your Ropd. finally my two screwa have stripped out and no lomger tighten. is there a way to correct this from happening.
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 7:08pm
Following.....

Forgive me for stealing your thread, but I would also like to know if someone has removed the offending panel and replaced with something different.  I'm tired of getting on my knees and poking wires back every time I open the slide to prevent stress on this panel.  
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 11:17am
I added a hinge to ours to allow it to swing back, but even that has its issues if something gets behind it and you extend the slide without knowing it.

I know some have replaced it with a curtain and I'm thinking more and more about doing that with ours.
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 11:48am
Originally posted by TheBum

I know some have replaced it with a curtain and I'm thinking more and more about doing that with ours.

I like this idea.  Since I was planning to redo the slide curtains in the back I'll have my sewing machine out and dusted off.  Just need to buy more fabric.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
Pmorris1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 12:03pm
I can't believe forest river couldn't come up with a better way to attach the panel. I'm surprised more owners haven't complained about this on here. I don't thing my wife would go along with the curtin, but thanks for the idea. I was thinking about a piano hinge. What problem did the hinge cause you? 
Pmorris1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 7:40pm
I wonder if you ran a long piece of say 1" heavy strength Valcro all the way across the top of the  panel. Put the other piece of Valcro across the opening below the fridge, and attached it that way. You could hang the panel once you put the slide out, and remove it when the slide is in while pulling the RV
Mojave1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 8:09pm
I'm not familiar with how the panel fastens. However, might a BLIND NUT work?
Pmorris1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 8:46pm
There are two screws , one on each end of the panel. The screws are screwed into a thin metal strip . The panel kind of just hangs, which allows the panel to move while your traveling . The movement causes the screws to loosen. Each time you relighted the screws the more they start to strip out in the original holes.i have went two sizes larger already, but after a while they won't hold the panel tight.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Pmorris1

I can't believe forest river couldn't come up with a better way to attach the panel. I'm surprised more owners haven't complained about this on here. I don't thing my wife would go along with the curtin, but thanks for the idea. I was thinking about a piano hinge. What problem did the hinge cause you? 

They work fine for items hitting the panel from the interior side, but if something gets in behind the panel, the hinges don't help when the slide is extended. The hinges are spring-loaded to keep the panel from "leaning back" into a non-vertical orientation, as it would do with piano hinges.

Since my prior post, I've figured out how to add a second set of hinges to allow the panel to swing out if something gets behind it when the slide is extended while still keeping the panel vertical when it's not under stress.
Pmorris1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 12:17pm
Could you post a photo showing what you have done
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>