Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoon to be new owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soon to be new owner
    Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 9:15am
We will soon be pulling the trigger on a new RP-180 and I have a towing question.  My tow vehicle is a 2014 4x4 Silverado.  Is it worth spending the money on a weight distribution hitch.  I used to have a pop-up camper that I towed with a Ford Ranger and sometimes it felt like the tail was wagging the dog.
Your wanted by the police and my wife thinks your dead
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 10:01am
Welcome to the group! 180 is a really nice model with a really good floor plan! There are several in the forum that can answer your question about the WDH. 

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 10:05am
Weight distribution may be needed but sway control is something you will definitely want. On our Escape, we definitely need both WD and sway control. Even so, you may want something like the Andersen 3326 'No-Sway' hitch. It provides both as well, but at a lower price and weight then the Equal-i-zer 4-way sway control hitch we got when we purchased our 179. If I were to do it over again, I would probably go for the Andersen hitch. The Equal-i-zer is heavy. Even so, you may want weight distribution also. Otherwise, you may need to beef up the rear suspension in your truck to keep the back from sagging. Weight distribution will also reduce porpoising (bouncing) as you go down the road.

On our first trip with our Escape and R-Pod, we encountered some significant head- and cross-winds going through New Mexico. Even with the sway control, I ended up limiting my speed to 60 mph. I had been trying to drive faster, but it was getting uncomfortable to try to do 65-70 mph. Without the sway control, I doubt I would have even been able to do 40 mph. Since then, I added a PurpleLine AeroPlus wind deflector, which has also helped with head- and cross-winds. I also limit the speeds to 60 mph. I've also since read that most trailer tires are supposed to be limited to 65 mph, so my 60 mph self-imposed limit is good for the tires also.

Weight distribution and sway control is something where it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
12bar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 3:45pm
Thanks for the replies we will definitely get the weight distribution and sway control hitch.
Your wanted by the police and my wife thinks your dead
 Post Reply Post Reply