FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew rp180 owner startup questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New rp180 owner startup questions
    Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 7:50pm
Greetings All,

My wife and I are just getting back into camping after raising three kids and a 20 year or so hiatus. Back then we did all tent camping. We just ordered a new Blue version, 2017 rp180, complete with r-dome (not the awning). Obviously we won't be taking delivery for a couple of months, but I would like to put together a list of startup necessities that will be needed and get them ordered. Any additions, subtractions, recommendations (including brands/models) would be greatly appreciated. I don't wish to stir up a hornet's nest, as I know that everyone has their own opinions, but the more ideas, the better! If a list such as this already exists somewhere please let me know.

Sewer hose (what length is recommended)
City water hose
Water filter
Water pressure regulator
Surge protector / voltage regulator
Flying bug screens for exhaust ports
Black water tank treatments
Wheel chocks
Leveler pads

Any comments would be great! Can't wait to hit the trail.

Thanks in advance
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 8:05pm
Welcome to the group! Congrats on your 180!! I would add to your list to get a vert detailed walk thru on delivery have them demonstrate every item frig, stove, etc and video it. There will be a ton of info and if you are like us, you forget half of it. It will help a lot to have the video to refresh your memory.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Pod Hopper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 8:52pm
Thanks for the great suggestion Leo. I would have never thought of video to keep a permanent record.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to accessory brands to either look for or stay away from? Brands of hoses, etc...?
DawgLady View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 12:00am
Welcome. My 180 came with sewer hose & water hose, toilet paper, black water treatment etc. It had everything needed to go camping. I have added a few mods and you will you figure out after a couple of trips what you need to have it set up just like you want it. I added a cover over cook top to give more counter space and 2 spice racks on wall by sink.  I have just found out a battery disconnect needs to be added in case it needs to be parked a few weeks not to deplete battery. Enjoy!!!
Dawg Lady
2016 R-180 "Lizzy"
Georgia

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 6:26am
Good to know. I never even thought about any of the hoses or startup supplies during my negotiations... my bad. I will have to check with my dealer about that. Do r-pods come from the factory with the hoses, or were those thrown in by your dealer?
2017 rp-180
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 6:43am
Hopper, look into a tt leveler. There are 2 kinds with pros and cons for both. I have the BAL leveler, it is a one person leveler and I can have our pod level front to back side to side in under 5 min. It will raise the pod about 7" or so. Con: it will only do 14" tires, at that I spread the "arms" about 1/8th inch, because I found that after traveling the tires expanded just a little with the heat build up and was a little hard to slide the "arms" under the tires. Since then no problem at all. The other leveler is the Anderson system, you need 2 people to level the tt with this one though and I think will only raise the tt about 3-4 inches. Look into both of them and find which one suits you best.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 7:46am
We have had a gift package from our dealership which included all kinds of stuff like hoses, tp, tank deodorizer and more for both pods we bought.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
DawgLady View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 10:10am
I received a starter box which I think comes with pod and it had some of anything you need to leave dealer and go camping right then.
Dawg Lady
2016 R-180 "Lizzy"
Georgia
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 10:38am
Welcome to the forum. As to your dump hose, many (including me) use the Rhino 15 foot flex hose.  You will need an alternative method for storing it though since the stinky slinky carrier that comes with the pod is too short. Look at the mods section and you will get some ideas on what many people have done. Or just get yourself a good thick garbage bag to keep it in at first.  Happy camping.
Pod: 2013 178
TV: 2014 Explorer Limited with tow package

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 11:37am
Thanks to all for the replies. I have been following this forum since we first started considering our purchase and everyone seems incredibly friendly and very knowledgeable and willing to help.

I am definitly going to hit our dealer up for a starter package. It just makes sense that it would come ready to go.

Shelpod, As far as your suggestion on the 15 foot Rhino Flex Hose ... it is my understanding that one of the improvements on the new 2017 models is the lengthening of the hose carrier to 62 inches, whick is supposed to be able to handles a 15 foot dump hose with fittings.
2017 rp-180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>