R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWell, I did it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well, I did it.
    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 11:33am
Originally posted by voisj

Bought the main items from EBAY.

Awesome! Thank you!
2018 R-Pod 180
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 3:41pm
I think this hot water heating systems is the cat's pajamas but I wonder if it puts out any more heat than the Wave 3 propane heater I've installed that draws 0 amps.

I'm not knocking the hot water heating system at all......just wondering.

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
MIK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by geewizard

I think this hot water heating systems is the cat's pajamas but I wonder if it puts out any more heat than the Wave 3 propane heater I've installed that draws 0 amps.

I'm not knocking the hot water heating system at all......just wondering.

Got pictures/howto?
2018 R-Pod 180
Kevinscamps View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 4:10pm
I put a Wave 3 in my Scamp.  It did an OK job of heating, but it heated up really slowly, is really not that much more efficient in terms of propane because you have to ventilate, and you are breathing whatever is coming through the catalytic pad which in theory is nothing but C02 and water, but nothing ever works perfectly.  That said,  I am installing a PlatCat in my Rpod.  It is also a catalytic heater, but it has forced ventilation, thermostatic control, and much more heat output with no additional ventilation required.

In terms of heating potential assuming 100% efficiency of the heat transfer the maximum is around 12000 BTU  or whatever the capability of the hot water heater is.  Even assuming pretty crappy efficiency it is going to be able to put out way more heat then a wave3 3000 btu - minus the heat that goes out the window.  Plus lots of people won't use the wave3 at night out of fear of killing themselves from oxygen deprivation (also scared of CO, but that is more paranoia).  

By the way, the wave3 is a fire hazard. I damn near lit my camper on fire once, by dropping a pillow off the bed and it took a bad bounce and leaned up against the heater.  It filled the camper with smoke fast!  It is also very good at melting sleeping bags.  Also from experience I would recommend the Wave6 over the Wave3 for increased power output.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 4:25pm
If I had to guess the i'd say the water heat system is probably able to produce more than 3 kbtu/hr but less than 6 kbth/hr, so more than the wave 3 but less than the wave 6.  The easiest way to find out for sure would be to run it and time the water heater duty cycle. The fan cfm is probably the limiting factor and that could be increased but at the expense of a bit more noise. 12 kbtu/hr is of course the upper limit because that's what the water heater is rated for. 

The catalytic heaters work great and are silent or nearly so. But some of us are either concerned about and/or allergic to breathing combustion products. The hot water systems solve that issue. Also, FWIW, since the water heater can be heated by either propane or 120Vac electric it can be used either on or off grid, which could save carrying around an electric box heater. 

So, its great to have options, and much thanks to the folks who have made the water heat solution work and shared their solutions. That's one thing I really like about this forum. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Kevinscamps View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 5:07pm

My issue with this solution is the need to winterize and dewinterize everytime I go out.  What I really want is a separate hot water heater filled with propolene glycol slaved to a much larger heat exchanger with a high volume low velocity fan or fans.  Fans speed could be continuously varied to keep a constant temperature.  No more temperature going up and down all the time, no large blower noise, just quiet continuous heat.  Can somebody please make that??  AquaHot has something similar, but expensive and 40k BTU, which is over kill.

Of course you could just fill up the hot water tank for the winter with the pink stuff and put in bypass valve so it does not accidentally come out the sink when you knock the tap with your elbow.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 5:24pm
Kevincamps, if you are good with keeping your pod above freezing all winter then you wouldn't need to worry about winterizing/dewinterizing. Just drain and shut off the rest of the system and keep the water heater and heat exchanger and inside of the pod above freezing, using the ac heating element if you have grid power available.  

Or better yet don't drain the fresh water system at all and use a solenoid on a thermostat to run a little warm water back through the fresh tank and water pump feed line. That's what others have done and I plan to do. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 7:56pm

I installed a T in the propane line to the stove and a flexible rubber propane hose with a quick disconnect on the end to beneath the refrigerator.  The Wave 3 connects to that quick disconnect.

2014 Toyota Tundra DC
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 6:17am
These look like they might be interesting. They appear to have some US distributors as well. 

https://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 9:32am
I chose the Wave 3 because I also use it in my truck camper.  That's why I used quick-disconnect fittings, so I could swap it between the RPod and the camper.  I've slept with it running and yes, with a window slightly open for fresh air.....just in case.
I think a Wave 6 would be too much heat for us.
And I did look at the PlatCat but wanted something I could move about.
Everything is a fire hazard and the built-in furnace could malfunction, producing CO as well.

My main reasons for going with a Wave 3:
-no battery drain
-no jet engine noise from the furnace
-portability between RPod and truck camper
-reputation of the Wave heaters as safe when used properly

We do 95% of our camping where there's no power.
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>