R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPahaQue R-Pod Trailer Side Tent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: PahaQue R-Pod Trailer Side Tent
    Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:44pm
In anticipation of Labor Day 3 day weekend trip, I finally unpacked my PahaQue R-Pod Trailer Side Tent.  This is more my first impressions.

When I ordered and received my R-Pod, I did not get the R-Dome.  I have mixed feelings on that as I was actually talked out of it by the sales folk.  I later decided that I did want something and went back and forth between ordering the R-Dome or the PahaQue Tent.  

At the time, I was just barely discovering this site, so I hadn't considered looking for a used one.  Moreover, the price points between ordering the R-Dome via the dealer and getting the tent from PahaQue seemed to be about par on price.   What pushed me over to purchasing the PahaQue is the more complete tent with a floor and a few more options than the R-Dome.

Other considerations I made were that although I do have a Pop Up, it appears that the the trailer is jacked up high enough that I couldn't use the pop up next to the trailer and have the door open.  So the Pop up has only been useful when placing over a picnic table or doing work on the front of the trailer and providing me with ample shade.

I would warn those considering purchasing items from PahaQue that they are a small company.  I have never been able to get a live human via phone.  Leaving messages can take a day or more to be returned by a human being. 

I ordered my tent on June 8th.  They state it will be 6-8 weeks before they ship.   They stick to the end of this cycle.  I called about 4 weeks in to get a status (being hopeful that it may be shipped earlier than later).  When I got a call back and asked them, they tersely responded that it would be 6-8 weeks with no commitment to a delivery date.   When 8 weeks rolled around I called, again, trying to determine when and where the tent was.  I took a couple of voice mail messages a couple days apart before I finally received a call back.  By then it was pushing 9 weeks.  The person was apologetic and told me that some other project had delayed the building of my tent.  I was told another week and to call back if I didn't get a shipping order then.   I received my tent 10 weeks after purchase (about a week ago).  I'm dismayed that it took as long as it did as I had intent on using it on a major trip I already took, but it is what it is.

Aside from the faux pas on receiving the tent, I'm otherwise content with what I received.  PahaQue does have an instructional video / tour of the tent that is very informative.  I received it in two boxes.  

Being single, I'm always challenged with doing things that are recommended to be done by two people.   Fortunately, this tent can be set up by one person and it didn't take me long to do my test run.   However, a step ladder is required to start and slide the tent through the Keder railing on top.  Something thoughtful on their part is a nylon pull strap on one end of the Keder line that is easily reachable from the ground.   I think it took me all of about 10 (maybe 15) minutes to set it up on my trailer in my front yard.

My only gripes with the tent is actually its storage.  I think that they could done a couple of things to make storage a slam dunk. 

First, they provide two bags.  One for the the tent and all its pieces, the other for the poles...well, some of the poles and that is part of my gripe.  The three adjustable root poles are too long to fit in either bag and no bag was provided from them (they already have a bag for other poles, why not these?) 

The main bag is amply large enough to store the tent and its ancillary pieces.  As a matter of fact, it is overly large so even sloppy rerolling the tent fits in the bag without any issue.  (Since when can anyone reroll/fold something close to the original factory packed version?)

The side baffles also don't have a bag.  I managed to squeeze them into the same bag of the tent poles, but it is apparent it wasn't designed that way.  I think they could have 1) made the tent pole bag longer to hold the roof poles and 2) bigger so as to hold the tent poles, roof poles, and the side baffling.

Although it appears to be a solid product, I do warn others that due to the size of the company, customer service may not be what you are expecting, nor will delivery of the product be quick.

Aside from my gripes, I'm pleased with the tent and look forward to using it.   It was fairly easy to put up and take down by myself.  It is very spacious and configurable (I can take the front down and unzip the floor, and ignore the walls and have just an awning, or put everything in and have a nearly fully enclosed room attached to the trailer). 

I may provide an additional post, later, after I've had a few real trip using it under my belt.
2016 HRE R-179 "CapPODccino"
2011 F-150 SLX
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 1:03pm
I would highly suggest getting a tent rug of some sort, PQ makes one even, because, a dome not having a floor is a good thing. you don't use a dome, like a tent. Everytime you go in and out of the pod, anytime you do anything in the dome, you are using it as a living area, something real tents never have to put up with. I just did 3 days tent camping HIGH in the Smokies. I was in and out of the tent, maybe 5 times the whole time. I have been in and out of the pod 3 times today, and am not camping. While camping, it could be a hundred times a day or trip..will be very hard on a tent floor.
bjk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 1:22am
Thanks for the advice.  It is appreciated!
2016 HRE R-179 "CapPODccino"
2011 F-150 SLX
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 8:30am
We always used a moving blanket on the floor of our tent to avoid that problem.

I have a Eureka Alpine Meadows tent and it's over 30 years old. Still in service.
Galbatron View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 1:03pm
R-Dome never used for sale. Only out of bag once. Sold my R-179. Live in Denver. Asking $300
Danny g denver
MDPaddlersPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 1:16pm
The RV indoor outdoor rug sold at Walmart for about $50.00 is an excellent choice for the floor.
MDPaddlersPod
2017 RPod 179
2002 Silverado1500
 Post Reply Post Reply