Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2 kids and a Jeep- 172 vs 176 vs 178 vs a-frame

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 kids and a Jeep- 172 vs 176 vs 178 vs a-frame
    Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 6:14pm
I have a dilemma, I have an opportunity to purchase a BUICK ENCLAVE 2WD, (NO FACTORY HITCH) will be putting it on with the whole package(weight distribution and sway and all) would like to use this to pull my 182G.  The ENCLAVE will pull 4500lbs as per the specs with the tow package and looking into it, the factory tow package can be put on after market. What would you recommend? a truck s not a practical vehicle for my family.  Is this a good tow vehicle, anyone out there pulling their 182G with a large SUV that could let me know what they are pulling with and how they are making out with it please.  Thank you
Live, Love, Learn and Leave a Legacy

2012 Ford EscapeV6
RPOD 182G
JScottHouse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 6:54pm
Hi, I am from Virginia too (Richmond).  For six years I had a A-Frame popup (Aliner Ranger) and loved it.  It was great for the time.  However, I would not recommend a A-Frame for a family of four.  I love my current camper, a RP-180.  Sadly, my V6 Ford Escape was not enough car for my new Rpod. It had a 3,500lb tow rating, could move the Rpod, but I didn't feel safe on the Interstate or at speeds over 55mph. After 1,300 miles and 90 days, I traded for a 4WD Ford Explorer.  The longer and wider wheelbase and additional 1,300lbs of weight makes the Explorer a great tow vehicle for the Rpod.  Yes, the slide out and large dry bath sold me on the RP-180.  So .... I recommend a Rpod for your family.  Just be careful as you approach the tow limit of your vehicle.  Twice now in 45 years of towing have I found myself with mis-matched tow vehicles.  Both times I have upgraded tow vehicles very quickly.
2016 RP-180
2013 Ford Explorer 4WD
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 7:57pm
We towed our 2011  177 (weighs 2400 empty) in the past with a 2008 Explorer and just this year upgraded to a 2013 Explorer 2WD.  Rated for 5500 lbs towing and has a 3.5 L  V-6 and 290 HP.  Both have towed very well using only a sway bar.  The older Explorer had only 210 HP but still towed well the 3x we were out west, twice in RMNP, Colorado and once in Glacier, Montana.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12