R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2016 - 180 Issues - Event Date: 21 Aug 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 2016 - 180 Issues
    Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by rdbedford

The difference between me and you is that I hold the manufacture to a much higher standard than the RV Dealer. The RV dealer is not sh*t as far as I’m concerned and has nothing to do with the quality of the product. Their only purpose is to F**K you out of your money when they sell it, and then again when they repair it!

And that grasshopper, is where you are wrong. I do care, and I too think it should be better, but I live in the real world. Have a new house built sometime.. TT issues are pretty minor, in comparison, and we had the top builder in the state build ours. I had 3 pages of issues after the first week in our house.

All the hand wringing in the world won't change the truth of how RV dealers and manufacturers operate. JUST like a car dealer, when new units come in, and before they go out to the new owners, a PDI checklist is supposed to be done, completed and the new owner shown how all the buttons work etc.

If it isn't.. well.. we all know how that can work out.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 6:19pm
+1   Well said
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
rdbedford View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 11:54am

Well, many Home builders are just like RV Manufactures and Dealers…rating and words mean little. I guess the builder forgot the PDI checklist before cashing your check, but I’m sure he provided some great excuses to pacify you! I designed and built the 3000+ square foot brick home that we live in now, and did 95% of the work; framing, roofing, hardwood, tile, drywall, HVAC, trim, paint, brick, electrical, plumbing, door & windows, and kitchen cabinets. None of this has given me the grief that this 2016 R-pod has.

I retired from a fortune 500 Company after 40 years of designing, installing, programming, and troubleshooting complex control systems for multi-million dollar machines. So, it’s not my first rodeo, I have had my share of complex problems to deal with, but solving with excuses was never an option for me. I guess I’m not geared for sales.

birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:26pm
We bought a gently used 2016 179 and couldn't be happier! No problems! We full-time and she is super!

Let's move on as the tone of this thread is nearing hysteria!  😜

Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by rdbedford

Well, many Home builders are just like RV Manufactures and Dealers…rating and words mean little. I guess the builder forgot the PDI checklist before cashing your check, but I’m sure he provided some great excuses to pacify you! I designed and built the 3000+ square foot brick home that we live in now, and did 95% of the work; framing, roofing, hardwood, tile, drywall, HVAC, trim, paint, brick, electrical, plumbing, door & windows, and kitchen cabinets. None of this has given me the grief that this 2016 R-pod has.

You should not expect an Airstream at the price point of your R-Pod. Given the above statement, it sounds like you would not have been happy even in one of them. You already have building experience. Why not build your own so you can be happy with it as well? If you just want to complain and attack those who wish to help, it is your choice. If you want to try to solve some of the issues you have, then this forum can give you the information which you can use to do so.

My 2016 R-Pod isn't perfect. It has been to the dealer for warranty work more than once since we purchased it last December. I will be taking it there again in a couple of weeks to get the strip that covers the screw heads replaced as it is cracking. That will be the end of the warranty work as I did not get the extended warranty. I have made a number of modifications to address shortcomings in design and construction that make ouR escaPOD much better. I did not complain here. I just got my tools out and figured out how I could make our 'Pod better. This forum has been a great resource.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Neserk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by StephenH

That will be the end of the warranty work as I did not get the extended warranty.

Would you recommend (from your personal experience) getting the extended warranty?   I ask as I'm not terribly handy with power tools.

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 11:19pm
If you are in the initial period and can get the Forest River extended warranty, yes. Purchasing a dealer add-on warranty, no. Forest River only charges $99.00. The dealer's warranty is much more from what others have said. My thought is that any really significant issue should show up in the first year. In any case, some of the modifications I have made, such as the window I put in the door, void parts of the warranty anyway, so I would not be able to count on Forest River covering those items anyway. Most of the issues I have had have been relatively minor. I have taken care of a number of small fit and finish issues myself as it would have been more trouble than it would have been worth to tow the R-Pod to our dealer's location over 2 hours away. It was faster and cheaper (given gas and other costs) to fix them myself.

I was not terribly handy with tools either at one time. However, by doing things, you gain experience and confidence. Don't start with something big. Start with something small and easy. It will feel good to look at it and know that you did it yourself.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
rdbedford View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 2:17am

@ StephenH – I recommend that you read all of my threads before you make a judgment about me. The comment that you are referring to was a rebuttal to someone making judgments about me that was unfounded and I did not appreciate. This forums only purpose for me is to make folks aware of the problems that I have had with my 2016 R-pod180. I don’t need this forum for advice or help because really there is nothing complex about these campers. I do my own repair work regardless of the warranty unless the repair is expensive or it’s a major problem.

For example:

I recently purchased a brand new 2016 Ford F-150 with tow package only to find that Ford had re-designed the TT battery charge circuit so that it’s basically non-functional. I complained to Ford to make them aware of the problem, and then I rewired the circuit to make it functional. I then created a video of the problem and my fix for You Tube to help others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNwC3S3wMi8

Your Airstream analogy would be correct if I was complaining about the R-pod’s creature comforts or that it’s not luxurious enough, but that’s not my complaint. 

A few of my R-pod problems:

-          major delam on the exterior ( the complete wall has to be replaced)

-          the drivers side wall cut to short exposing a large crack that the corner rail does not cover

-          2 holes in the floor under the table

-          screws that attach the slide-out are twisted off

-          Power convertor failed (fixed)

-          O2 sensor failed (I fixed)

-          Trim falling off everywhere (I fixed)

-          black water flush system does not work, (probably the check valve is installed backwards)

-          One of the three dinette cabinets door handles installed 1 inch lower than the other two   

-          Mirror just taped to the wall fell and busted (I fixed)

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 10:01am
I had read the threads. I am not arguing that you do not have legitimate issues. Forest River can and will take care of these. However, when you come in and start using language (even with letters blanked out with asterisks) that is not family friendly and accuse Forest River of only trying to rip off the people purchasing these trailers, what am I to think? Give Forest River a chance to make it right. The Airstream analogy is appropriate if one thinks that paying thousands more for a camping trailer will ensure that it does not have any quality problems. I am sure that Forest River could go over these with a fine-tooth comb as they come off the assembly line and find these problems. However, I would not like to pay double what I did for our trailer in order for it to be "perfect."

Furpod said essentially the same thing. If you have not alienated your dealer, he/she should be assisting you in getting these issues resolved. My dealer has been great at getting the issues I have had with my R-Pod fixed. I could wish that there were no issues, but there were. They were not as serious as the ones you have had with your 180. Some of the issues you have should have been found by the dealer and you should not have been sold that particular 180 unless all issues had been resolved prior to you taking delivery.

Many years ago, I worked for Uniflite building cabin cruisers. I did fiberglass work, carpeting, wallpapering, and wood finishing. My work had to pass a QC inspection before the boat could be delivered to its new owner. It was not fun to have to go back in and grind off fiberglass that had slipped or otherwise not stuck properly and re-do it, but it had to be done. I will agree with you that Forest River should do a better job of QC before shipping these pods. Right now, it seems like there is s cursory QC and then the dealer is the final QC before the 'pod is delivered to the customer. If the dealer does not do the PDI and if the dealer fails to take the time to go through the R-Pod with the customer, that is, unfortunately, not Forest River's fault. As has been pointed out in this forum, the dealers are not owned by Forest River. Each one is independent. That is why the "bargain" price on an R-Pod is not always the least expensive option if the "bargain" means that the dealer basically abandons the purchaser after the R-Pod is delivered.

Issues I have had that I fixed myself:
- Panel under refrigerator fell off. Only held on by 3 screws into aluminum frame. Reattached with anchors. I will probably put a hinge on it eventually.

- Trim under dinette seat fell off at one end. I reattached.

- rubber seal (rounded, not flat) along side of slide-out falling out. I repaired.

- kitchen cabinet drawer slide attached so as to make the drawer not square with the cabinet. I fixed.

- loose plumbing on kitchen sink drain which ruined two cookbooks. I tightened and found other plumbing connections loose also which I also fixed. This also includes the black water line vacuum break/check valve which was leaking while being used.

- outside shower fittings with supply lines brought up and bent to attach. Reattached with elbows to keep lines from kinking

- Tank support crossmembers not adequately attached to the frame. I drilled and used bolts to ensure that I would never have the problem of a tank falling off while going down the road. This was after a trip to the dealer where the screws were just tightened and one added when the mechanic stripped one of them. That is when I decided to use bolts and do it myself.

- replace sealant around kitchen window where the RTV sealant had gaps and showed evidence of peeling loose, likely due to inadequate surface preparation. Also tightened screws which were loose.

- remove and replace sealant around spoiler. Removed to check that wires were adequately sealed and found that the sealant had failed in some areas and that the screws themselves had not been sealed. The wires turned out to have been sealed well.

- replace porch light fixture (needed because I messed up the first one trying to replace the incandescent bulb with the wrong type of LED bulb) Discovered that the installer had stripped a screw and just drilled a third hole and used a third screw.

- sealed outside outlet where the anchors were not holding anything and the outlet was loose.

- Other modifications that address shortcomings of R-Pod design and/or implementation as detailed in my mods.

Items repaired by the dealer under warranty by Forest River:

- replace refrigerator burner components (I am not sure which ones) burned when the flame was blocked by a wasp nest and was not discovered prior to delivery. This was discovered when we tried to use the gas part a week after delivery in December when wasps were not active.

- replace kitchen drawer slide which was missing the cap to keep the ball bearings from falling out. This likely happened when the dealer adjusted the drawer at delivery.

- replace fender near the door which was scratched by someone opening the door too far. I called Forest River and suggested they add a bumper. The newest R-Pod 179s (and 180s also I would think) now have a bumper to protect the fender. The hinge removed the need for a catch to keep the door open, but did not prevent the door from being opened wide enough to hit the fender.

- tighten all tank support crossmembers (see above).

- seal around water heater opening where a gap was allowing water to drain behind the outside wall when water heater anode rod was removed.

- replace convection-microwave

- to be done soon: replace strip covering screw heads in corner rail.

My RP-179 is not perfect, but I am satisfied that I got a camping trailer at a price I could afford. I had originally wanted to get something like a Scamp or Casita, but after I got scammed on what I thought was a deal to purchase a used one, I am very happy I found the R-Pod. It is something I can tow with our Ford Escape which would not be able to tow one like a Lance or even the copycat model from Winnebago (weighs more than our 179). When we can afford to upgrade tow vehicles, I would like to upgrade to a 4-season capable camping trailer. Until then, I am quite satisfied with ouR escaPOD.

I hope that Forest River repairs your 180 and that you will be satisfied with it.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
FireMechanic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 2:23am
Hey folks,
I just grabbed a 2017.5 RP180 loaded with awning and all. We love it so far and it is working out well since there is only two of us now. We've had 3 motor homes and 6 different trailers from about every manufacturer there is and was.
I retired as a Fleet Manager for a large cities Fire Dept almost 8 -years ago. When your city pays close to one million dollars for a Fire Engine from the premier manufacturer in the world, you would think it would be near perfect. Guess again! The laundry list usually in the 30-40's. Sometimes the rig won't even go into full service for six months or so.
I fully expect almost anything I purchase to need regular maintenance and special consideration so far as upkeep. I joined this forum only to gather wisdom, make pen pal friends and learn from folks already in the trenches with these units. I too have made countless repairs and mistakes on my units and that how I learn. In the short time I've been reading this forum, I have learned tons of information on these units and their manufacturer. I try to stay in the shadows and absorb. Nothing is perfect!
Thanks to all!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>