R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2016 - 180 Issues - Event Date: 21 Aug 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 2016 - 180 Issues
    Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 7:46am
rbedford,

Over the years, I have known of several pods that have been back to the factory for major repairs. NONE of them have had a repeated issue. Many of them had at least a sidewall or roof removed. If your pod is going back to the Goshen plant, I will tell you I know the warranty repair guy personally, and his work is top notch.
rdbedford View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 10:24am

@ furpod – First, thank you for your comment. My pod is going to the Goshen plant for the repairs and you have given me a bit of confidence regarding his work. I will post an update after the work has been completed.

Sounds like the warranty repair guy should be in charge of manufacturing. If these units were assembled properly using quality controlled parts and then rigorously inspected for defects, functionality, and cosmetic appearance, many of these problems would never exist.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by rdbedford

Sounds like the warranty repair guy should be in charge of manufacturing. If these units were assembled properly using quality controlled parts and then rigorously inspected for defects, functionality, and cosmetic appearance, many of these problems would never exist.

While true.. it also means they would cost twice as much. Pods ARE a price point driven, and starter RV, just a pure fact of the business. They are the least expensive, fully equipped TT in their class. So.. Just like everything else in life, you don't get Mercedes quality for Volkswagen $$$.
Funky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 11:09pm
Interesting point. However, even a Volkswagen owner does not need to worry about things like the car's roof seam becoming separated, the radiator or A/C hoses/plumbing breaking loose, gas tank filler line being plugged up, door locks breaking, ripped seat covers, or glove box door coming off of it's hinges on their brand new VW. As yet another Rpod customer who is dealing with warranty issues on a brand new 2017 180, I'd say the issue is one of general quality and reliability. And while Forrest River covers defects under warranty, they don't cover the cost of their customers' time (or headaches) to deal with the initial poor quality. We like using our Rpod. We like the layout of our Rpod. And, we like the ease at which we can tow our Rpod. We just didn't anticipate the warranty headaches.
Funky
2017 R pod 180
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Funky

Interesting point. However, even a Volkswagen owner does not need to worry about things like the car's roof seam becoming separated, the radiator or A/C hoses/plumbing breaking loose, gas tank filler line being plugged up, door locks breaking, ripped seat covers, or glove box door coming off of it's hinges on their brand new VW. As yet another Rpod customer who is dealing with warranty issues on a brand new 2017 180, I'd say the issue is one of general quality and reliability. And while Forrest River covers defects under warranty, they don't cover the cost of their customers' time (or headaches) to deal with the initial poor quality. We like using our Rpod. We like the layout of our Rpod. And, we like the ease at which we can tow our Rpod. We just didn't anticipate the warranty headaches.

Far and away, most owners of Pods deal with none of these issues. We see more, (per capita) here, because people with issues come looking for help/info. All the no problems owners are camping..  Wink

My advice to you is to sell/trade now, move up to a Camplite, Lance, Airstream. Your pod will never be worth more then it is now.
rdbedford View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 9:23am

@ furpod – Your comments are always pro Forest River and their products. It appears that you may be employed by Forest River to monitor this forum to trivialize any complaints posted by owners like myself. It now makes since how you know the warranty repair guy personally. It is not trivial to purchase a brand new R-pod180 that needs to be returned to the factory for warranty repairs. And, then to suggest that folks who post their complaints on this forum are just “people with issues” is brain damaged thinking!

ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 9:50am
Furpod has given fantastic advice on how to handle diy repairs and how to get in touch with FR. Please do not get personal on this issue. Saying that I realize anyone with "issues" will be very touchy on repair issues. And yes I had a couple of issues (door lock, spider cracks on exterior wall.) Both issues handled VERY well by FR and my rv dealership.   Your rv dealership is the one who will make or break your rpod experience. Any rv dealer who doesn't show/know how the hw heats or show how to switch the hw tank from summer to winter etc... Should not be selling tt. And if you buy from them... you should expect NO help on warranty issues.    THANKYOU again furpod and all for the advice you have given to me and all.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 11:14am
Originally posted by rdbedford

@ furpod – Your comments are always pro Forest River and their products. It appears that you may be employed by Forest River to monitor this forum to trivialize any complaints posted by owners like myself. It now makes since how you know the warranty repair guy personally. It is not trivial to purchase a brand new R-pod180 that needs to be returned to the factory for warranty repairs. And, then to suggest that folks who post their complaints on this forum are just “people with issues” is brain damaged thinking!

LOL.. I am, by far, not a FR employee or shill. By Far. In fact, this VERY Saturday, we will by buying another TT, not FR.

I hate it as much as you do that these things happen, but I am also a person who can view the world without rose colored glasses and not get upset.

It's a FACT that many of the members here, got here, because of questions or problems. It's a FACT that there are over 23 THOUSAND R-Pods on the road, and very few have actual problems. Some do, and sometimes they ARE bad. Things made by man are not perfect.

I know the warranty repair guy personally because we have been to 4 of the 5 annual  Forest River International Rallies, held near the Goshen plant, and during those rallies, FR Provided warranty repair on all units there, regardless of age. If you rolled in there, and this literally happened this year, with a 2010 R-Pod, with a bad hub, FR techs, from the R-Pod/Surveyor plant changed that axle in place, for free. Because it was an item that "would have been covered under warranty". As a mechanical guy myself.. we (Jimmy and I) hit it off when I gave him a hand with something heavy and messy several years ago.

I don't for a moment have a problem with people posting issues, I don't like it when they moan and do nothing, but moan some more.. often the stuff posted is trivial, and/or can be fixed with the turn of a screw driver.. but not everybody sees the world that way.. I get it. Don't understand it, but get it.

I am pretty sure I didn't trivialize your issues, only stated what I have observed over the last 5 years here, and in the pod world. We have been to DOZENS of pod rallies, I know HUNDREDS if not thousands of podders, and have a fair understanding of what problems are out there.

If I remember right, up in the corner by my name, you can select a pull down and block or ignore me. Feel free to do so, if you think my input and time here helping people is invalid.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Funky

Actually, as a VW owner.. our GTi has had several recalls and a couple issues over the years, as have all car manufacturers.

One other thing I have not posted for a while.. a bit of "wisdom", though for many, by the time they get here and stumble upon it, it's to late..

"It's better to have a good DEALER, then a good POD, one can be fixed"

A huge number of issues, whether it be something broken, missing, or unexplained, with R-Pods, falls back to the dealer and his/hers PDI and delivery/pickup. We have owners who get, "here are the keys, thanks for buying", to owners who get 3 hour walk throughs, with every single item on the PDI checklist shown, and explained. It makes a difference.
rdbedford View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 2:11pm

The difference between me and you is that I hold the manufacture to a much higher standard than the RV Dealer. The RV dealer is not sh*t as far as I’m concerned and has nothing to do with the quality of the product. Their only purpose is to F**K you out of your money when they sell it, and then again when they repair it!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>