R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPower Jack ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Jack ?
    Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 7:40am
Originally posted by marwayne

I saved the crank had a friend weld a 3/4"socket on the end so I can still crank it manually.

Another good idea. It is good to have a backup. I have a 16V cordless drill/driver from Aldi that I carry to use with the stabilizers. Do you think it would have enough power to work a jack, or would you say that 18 to 20V would be the minimum? I already know it does not have enough power for the BAL leveler, but that is not geared.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 11:43pm
I use an 18 volt Ryobi, it lifts the tongue and truck when hooked up to put on the bars for the WDH.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 8:29pm
 I just finished the install of the Quick Jack. Extremely easy as far as bolt on mods go.

1) hook up tow vehicle to stabilize R-Pod. I use my SUV as a big wheel chock...
2) unbolt old tongue jack (9/16 socket - 3 bolts)
3) drop quick jack into hole vacated by old jack
4) install star washers under the quick jack mount plate, and reinstall the 3 bolts

Elapsed time 20 minutes, including hooking up the tow vehicle..

5) The electrical....Well, they include a circuit breaker, but NO way to connect to power.
6) Auto parts store (or raid the electrical supply cabinet at work ..shhhhh don't tell)
 Purchase a 12-10 AWG splice crimp, and a 5/16" stud 12-10 AWG wire crimp (yellow). This is for the battery terminal. I decided to wire it "hot" and not through my battery selector switch.
Used outdoor rated zip ties to neatly run the jack power wire (there is only one wire) along the trailer connector cable. 
Elapsed time to perform electrical about 15 minutes.

And it works very well. It came with a jack foot pad that has several holes in it for adjusting how high it can lift the tongue off the ground. It has about 18 total inches of lift, but with the foot pad in one hole space higher I can finally get the R-Pod level in my driveway without bottoming the jack. It will be a big plus on a hot day when setting up or leaving a site, and when leaving or coming back from a trip. I won't break a sweat. 
Here's a couple pics. The old jack, and the new jack. I didn't have chance to get one of the new jack installed, not enough light.

I added a photo of the installed unit. I'm going to debate whether or not to install the power wire direct to the battery as it is now, or change it over to one of the switch terminals so it can be powered by the battery switch. 

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 9:43pm
Congratulations on a successful installation. I wouldn't want to go back to a manual jack.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 10:12pm
ToolmanJohn, if your Jack Quick is like mine, you'll find that it does a great job and is much quieter than many of the expensive brands. The nice included vinyl head cover is NOT water proof. I line mine with a gallon ziplock bag, and like many others cover the whole jack head with a plastic bucket when storing my trailer. I've been well satisfied with the Jack Quick over the last couple years, and those of us who live in the hinterlands sure get the use out of Amazon Prime!
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 7:18pm
 I like the bucket idea for covering it completely when not using the camper. I'll do it.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
TigerPawd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 2:33pm
I got a Quick Jack HH3500 and it works great on our #179. 

Except for one thing - through the years, I have had four different jacks on three different TTs without a problem on four different tow vehicles.  No problem with any - till I tried to back up my Ford Expedition with the tail gate open for hookup to our Pod.

That's always worked before and it did this time too - till I went to close the tail gate.  This model of Quick Jack is several inches too tall, so the tail gate hits the top of the jack.  I have had to switch back to poles on magnets, which is not nearly as convenient. 

Be sure to check measurements before ordering.  Measure twice, order once. 
Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123