R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHot Water Heater - Event Date: 06 Aug 2016 - 13 Aug 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Hot Water Heater
    Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by renosteve

Hi Folks, just tried to use the electric burner in our 2012 177 for the first time (instead of propane). Left the water heater switch at the door off. Plugged into shore power and turned on the black switch at the heater. The water got hot, but in the middle of the night I was awoken by sounds like boiling water or rain hitting the roof. I quickly turned off the black switch for fear of the element burning in the heater. The water tank was full with water. Anyone have any ideas?

Is it possible there was still air in the HW heater? Did you recently drain the system, or recently take it out of storage? It sometimes takes a bit of water to get all the air out of the tank. In the Spring before my first trip, after I set the bypass valves back to normal water flow, I run the hot water at the kitchen sink into a small bucket for at least a few gallons to get the air out.

After it's done sputtering, I know there is no longer an air pocket in the tank. I use a bucket o catch thee water because I don't want to unnecessarily put water in my gray tank before a trip. I do the same for the hot and cold water lines in the kitchen and bathroom as well.

Good luck.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12