R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterization
    Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 8:03pm
Sure not as cold as where you are!LOL It will be in the mid 30's lowest when I get to go. Have had to cancel due to the snow and colder weather.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 9:27pm
Yes we have snow on the ground and it will be around for the duration of the winter. (april)
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 10:01pm
We occasionally get down into the 20's and rarely into the teen's but it does happen. 
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 8:14am
Originally posted by danthoman

I was planning on emptying the tanks, opening the low point drain, blowing out the city water line, draining the heater and putting a small heater in the pod.  Will this be enough or do I still need the antifreeze.

It will cost you $10 and less than 20-minutes.  Why wouldn't you add antifreeze and complete the process?  I'm assuming you see freezing temps otherwise you wouldn't have spent the time to drain and blow.  To be honest, the time you spend blowing could have been spent putting the pink stuff in the lines and you would have been done in less time that it would have taken to blow the lines.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 10:01am
I have the "pink stuff" on hand ,,, but I do not like the smell of it when I am living in the Pod... kind of gives me a headache too, when I am in and out checking in Winter that is fine....
I will have furnace on which should take care of the temps that are not going down into hard freeze and for the few days I will be out.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
danthoman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 10:33am
Ray - The anti freeze is mostly propylene glycol, and while no inhalation, dermal contact or ingestion  toxicity is expected (as per the MSDS) it will still affect some people.  Like mountain mist,  I get a headache and blocked sinuses every time I smell it.  So I rather not use it if at all possible.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 11:10am
I use it after I am done camping in it, just the in and out to check it out in Winter does not bother me. It is just the sleeping with it in the lines or being in it all day if weather is bad. I am not sure if it affects my dogs, but would not want them to be uncomfortable either.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 2:52pm
Wow.  Sorry to hear about that reaction with the anti-freeze.  I've never heard of anyone having a reaction to it, especially since it's contained in the closed-system of pipes and tubes.  If that's the case and you plan on using it full-time, year round, I guess I'm wondering why you didn't get a 4-season camper, something capable of being used all-year long, without winterizing.

Anyway, that's not helping you now.  Best you can do, I guess, is take your chances without the antifreeze and really make sure all the moisture is out of your lines/systems.  All it takes is a couple drops in the wrong spot to cause damage.  Water expands when it freezes and it there's no available space for the expanding water to go, that's when damage occurs.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 3:41pm
Been there , done that. We had large motorcoaches. Hubby did not want to drive the big suckers anymore and he was done camping. We had started out in Tents.,,, so I went right out and fixed myself up with tenting gear again. Hubby took pity on me and bought me the Pod. I do it alone with my dogs. Don't Winter camp, Winterizer it at proper times. The weather was bad last week or so, but forcast for good nite temps, so I am getting another short trip in. Not to worry, by the time we get Really cold weather the EscapePod will have its pipes full of antifreeze... I guess you might never have asked about people having reactions to the smell. I was a little suprised when someone posted right back with a simular reaction. It's contained, but the smell is still there if you are sensetive to it.
And never have planned to full time. Know the weather around here and we have small spells of cold, but not hard freezes, I keep the Pod plugged in all year, for ac or furnace. One keeps the meldew down, the other keeps the pipes ok if the weather is just mid to upper 30's, which is what we have until December.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 3:41pm
By the way. I hope you fared well where you are.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>