R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTraveling with the Fridge question - Event Date: 24 Jul 2016 - 29 Dec 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Traveling with the Fridge question
    Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Shelpod

We have a problem with the frig on gas when the outside temp gets into the 50's it won't light consistently.  Usually happens at night and we can start it again in the morning.  I think it may be the regulator which makes a squeeking like sound that can be heard particularly at night.  We only use propane or 120 on ours.   The 12v circuit melted and stayed on all the time.  Ended up disconnecting the 12v heating circuit.  Ruined some rather new batteries.

There were a lot of bad regulators on the pods early-on.  Made odd noises and had supply issues.  It is cheap to replace.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 1:13am
Agree with all, the 12 volt mode is a bad option for most vehicles since auto companies and aftermarket installers like U-Haul all use 12 gauge wire to supply the +12 pin on the Bargeman outlet, which isn't big enough.  Add in a depleted camper battery after a weekend off-grid and you've lost the game before you even start home.  All of the larger rigs with ammonia-absorption fridges only have propane and 120 volt modes (no 12 volt).  Just use LP and avoid the problems.  Use 120 volt mode at home and in-camp if you have an electric hookup.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
densmorema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 1:12pm
Just remember your vehicle has to be running while you are on 12v or you might drain both your trailer and tow vehicles batteries in as little as 2 hours.
Mike and Cherie
Michigan
2015 R179 2016 silverado
mtdave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:08pm
I ran the fridge all day on propane and made ice in the freezer without any warning lights. I must have had something wrong this past weekend. I made sure to burn the stove a minute or so before lighting the fridge this time. Fired right up!
2011 R-Pod 176
2009 Chevy Suburban 1500
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 4:00pm
We have a problem with the frig on gas when the outside temp gets into the 50's it won't light consistently.  Usually happens at night and we can start it again in the morning.  I think it may be the regulator which makes a squeeking like sound that can be heard particularly at night.  We only use propane or 120 on ours.   The 12v circuit melted and stayed on all the time.  Ended up disconnecting the 12v heating circuit.  Ruined some rather new batteries.
Pod: 2013 178
TV: 2014 Explorer Limited with tow package
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by mtdave

This is good to know. I thought that the 12 volt option was for when you were traveling. What is the 12 volt option good for, it doesn't seem to keep the fridge very cold and it seems to use quite a bit of juice? I accidentally left the fridge on 12 volt after we returned home on Sunday evening with the truck still connected. By morning the truck barely started. Whew!

I also tried running the fridge on gas over the weekend and the warning light kept coming on. Anyone have advice on running the fridge on gas?

The warning light will come on if there is an issue with gas flow, ignition, or 12v power supply.
Gas was on? Line purged by lighting burners? It attempted to light? You should hear some clicks when it does. Battery was charged? You actually switched to gas mode with the button?

As a side note. We use 12v when traveling. Our truck sends 30A to the trailer, has a relay that disconnects the power to the trailer when the truck isn't running. We have never noted a cooling difference between modes, but I admit I have never bothered to test it directly. We have a thermometer hanging in the fridge, I look at it when I open the door, it's always somewhere below 40F, (unless I just left the door open or added something warm etc) regardless of mode, so I don't worry about it. We have pulled 10 hours, in +85F temps, arrived and the fridge was >40F and the batteries were at full charge.

With dual T-105's we can run on 12v, disconnected, for several hours (6-8 depending on ambient temps )before the voltage drop gets scary. But once set up, we switch to 120v or gas, as needed.
mtdave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 11:28am
Thanks, I'm testing the fridge on gas while at home and will read through the sticky forums.

2011 R-Pod 176
2009 Chevy Suburban 1500
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 11:17am
IMHO, there is no good use for the 12V option. Maybe as a battery tester. BUT, as you found out, the GM vehicles do not disconnect the truck battery when the engine is not running. TECHNTREK will have some words on this. Someone else will have to address the warning light.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
mtdave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 10:51am
This is good to know. I thought that the 12 volt option was for when you were traveling. What is the 12 volt option good for, it doesn't seem to keep the fridge very cold and it seems to use quite a bit of juice? I accidentally left the fridge on 12 volt after we returned home on Sunday evening with the truck still connected. By morning the truck barely started. Whew!

I also tried running the fridge on gas over the weekend and the warning light kept coming on. Anyone have advice on running the fridge on gas?

2011 R-Pod 176
2009 Chevy Suburban 1500
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 9:43pm
After 5 plus year traveling with our 177, propane.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>