R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Mods:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Your Mods:
    Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 11:06am
Also, just realize that even with the lift kit, the 179 is not a great one for off-road. Some of the ruts can still drag the stabilizers on the back end. I have experienced this. Also, if you do take that risk, be sure to go very slow over any bumps/dips or you risk bending the frame (also had that happen on this trip).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Kahonu37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kahonu37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 5:16am
Originally posted by StephenH

Also, just realize that even with the lift kit, the 179 is not a great one for off-road. Some of the ruts can still drag the stabilizers on the back end. I have experienced this. Also, if you do take that risk, be sure to go very slow over any bumps/dips or you risk bending the frame (also had that happen on this trip).

Did you install the FR lift kit or the Lippert Lift kit. 

Regards
M
2018 179
2012 NISSAN XTERRA (retired 12/19)
2019 RAM 1500 WARLOCK (new)
A.R.E. V Series Topper
WDH Equalizer 600/6000
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 10:25pm
Neither. Our 2016 179 came with risers from the factory. Newer models re-clocked the axle arms and was supposed to eliminate the need for risers. Turns out they didn't, so people add them.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Kahonu37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kahonu37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 6:24am
StephenH

As we use our RPOD 179 a lot and we don’t spend a lot of time off roading and we have never had an issue with stabilizers dragging. We have put about 11,000 miles on our 179 since we purchased it in January of 2019, with no major issues. I have made the decision not to install risers.

I don’t think it’s worth the frame issues to mess with risers, without major frame modifications.

Thanks for your input

M
2018 179
2012 NISSAN XTERRA (retired 12/19)
2019 RAM 1500 WARLOCK (new)
A.R.E. V Series Topper
WDH Equalizer 600/6000
CherlyOsborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CherlyOsborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Kahonu37

StephenH

As we use our RPOD 179 a lot and we don’t spend a lot of time off roading and we have never had an issue with stabilizers dragging. We have put about 11,000 miles on our 179 since we purchased it in January of 2019, with no major issues. I have made the decision not to install risers.

I don’t think it’s worth the frame issues to mess with risers, without major frame modifications.

Thanks for your input

M
I think it's a good decision I also think the same way after having some experiences related to risers. 
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 7:54pm
With our 2016 RPod, the stabilizers have dragged a couple of times, even with risers. Without, it would have been worse. The frame issue was due to me pulling off onto what looked like a smooth area that was anything but when we hit it. If I had (benefit of 20/20 hindsight) slowed down to almost a crawl when turning off for an urgent stop, the frame would not have bent.

Lessons learned. Never assume an area is smooth.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mackjames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mackjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 4:20am
Car Stereo Installation.
margiehardwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote margiehardwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 6:58am
I have to ask, what are some tips on making this bed up 😞
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 8:49am
Originally posted by margiehardwick

I have to ask, what are some tips on making this bed up 😞

My wife sewed the bottom and top sheet together at the foot end.  Simply start at the foot end, smoothing out wrinkles as you work toward the other side.  Keep the show side (opposite the wall) even.  When done take your excess on the wall side and tuck in.  I have given demo's at our rpod rallies in the past and the final product looks great.  Takes about 3 minutes, but remember, there are 12 years of experience to reach this point of efficiency.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 10:03am
My wife made elastic corners at the foot end of the top sheet to match the elastic corners on the bottom sheet. That makes it easier also, but sewing them together might be even better. I have not tried a comparison though.

Even the walk-around bed in our Grey Wolf has its own difficulties in making the bed. The foot end is easy, the top, much like the transverse bed in that access isn't that easy.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677>