R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Mods:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 77>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote PodBarb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Your Mods:
    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 10:24pm
This is very cool.
2017 RPod 171
2017 Kia Sorento SX
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 4:51pm
So far we have made the following changes:
1.  Took out the back couch cushions and replace them with a 4" foam cushion 15"x75" and added two throw pillows.
2.  Discarded the finger removing table that comes standard and replaced it with smaller, lighter table that folds up and is used mostly outside.
3.  Used a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to the size of the foam cushion above that can be stored under the seat cushion and pulled out and set on the "foot stools" after those cushions are removed.  The seat cushion is 3" and the seat back cushion is 4" and it fits level when laid on the plywood.  It's 40" wide so about the size of a twin bottom sheet.  Great for a couple of young grand kids!  In the morning, take the sheets off, slide the plywood under the seat and ready to go.
4.  removed the sink in the wetbath and used 1/4" plywood 11.75" x 20" to screw into the existing wall holes.  I had to cut the drain in the wall with a hand held hack saw blade and then capped it with a 1-1/2" rubber cap.  I really like the room that this allows us.
5.  I purchased a Mr. Heater Buddy to use instead of the under bed heater.  Still don't understand that design!  Used it at the Chiracahua National Monument in December with lows in the 20's and 30's.  we used about 3/4 of an LP tank (1 gal) a day.
6. Purchased an 80 Watt GoPower folding suitcase solar charger that works on the Zamp connector or the battery terminals.  Takes about 45 min of sun in the morning to charge our 12V 27 series battery.

Still more to come when time permits.
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 4:57pm
Same thing happened to me!  So I took out the sink, cut the drain, then used a 1/4" piece of plywood that was 11.75" x 20" so I could screw it on into the existing holes with the screws.  I drilled another hole in the bottom left side so I could also attach there.  I painted it with primer and two coats of oil based paint that I had mixed that matches well.  Once the panel was installed I sealed it with almond silicone caulk, painted the screw heads and was done!  We really like the extra space with the sink out.  enjoy!
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
Subzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Subzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 1:08pm
Andy, you any pics of your sink removal??  I really want to do this but my wood (interior modification) craftsman skills are not as developed as my mechanical skills.  Would just like to see the final product.  Thanks!!
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 1:39pm
If you want to send me your e-mail address I will be happy to send it to you.  I'm still new to this site so don't know how to send photos (tech challenged!).

jud.anderson@yahoo.com
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kup-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 9:10pm
When we purchased our Rpod, my wife made me promise not to do any mods for at least a year.  Well two weeks before the year I started building our first mods.

#1 was a shelf above the bed (idea stolen from Stephen H's EscaPOD mods).  Instead of buying the shelf from Lowes, I built one using birch 1x1 frame with 1/4" thick slats from Home Depot.  I could not get the Sherwin Williams stain match posted on this site since there are no paint stores in our area that match stain anymore (weird!!).  After much trial and error and sweat, I found out that a first pass of MinWax Classic Grey #271 followed by a pass of MinWax Dark Walnut #2716 provides a pretty good match for the 2017 dark brown/grey cabinets.
It was also difficult to get the shelf above the valences on the 178 because the bed is directly behind the washroom and the slide out.  If I keep the slide out in, I can shimmy it is up there with much "manipulation".  A couple of screws will hold it in place but the valences are providing the support.

#2 mod was a narrow shelf unit between the fridge and the dinette.  I had about 8" to use and still have about 3/4" to spare.  I used 1/4" birch plywood (finished both sides) and it has plenty of stability to hold dry goods and some pantry type stuff.

There will be more to come, next job is to extend the length and depth of the two kitchenette drawers.  Another idea "stolen" from the forum! :-)

We're pretty pleased with the results, let me know your comments! 
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 9:18pm
Your shelf and pantry shelf mods look really good. I would consider using anchors (1" or less) to attach the bed shelf to the wall. Eventually, the weight of the shelf will start to push the valences down Anchoring directly to the wall will help prevent this.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Your shelf and pantry shelf mods look really good. I would consider using anchors (1" or less) to attach the bed shelf to the wall. Eventually, the weight of the shelf will start to push the valences down Anchoring directly to the wall will help prevent this.

Agree with StephenH on this; in my case, I removed the valances as they really don't serve any purpose and just got in the way of attaching the shelf. 
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kup-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 6:24am
Well anchors it is then! :-)  Thanks very much for the insight and advice.
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 8:45am
I had originally used the valences for the majority of the support. When I noticed them being pushed down, I changed to anchors. I did not want the shelf to come down on us while we were sleeping.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 77>