R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Mods:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 77>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kpieper876 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Your Mods:
    Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 7:09pm
I've made several mods to my 2010 RPOD 172:

1. Cutting board stove cover

1. Installed carpet using remnant Flor carpet tiles for around $2 each, super easy to install

1. Velcro'd a mud boot tray at the entrance of the RPOD

1. Added a bunk bed rail guard that leaves about a foot of space to place a ladder

1. Installed curtains on lower bunk using a spring loaded bar and two pillow cases.

• Installed a hitch to carry my spare tire up front, leaving room for bikes or cargo box in the rear. I used this adapter without modification, so it might move. If you can drill new holes to accommodate the smaller bumper that is ideal.

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 7:31pm
Nice work!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
SuJoPodders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuJoPodders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 2:48pm
When it comes to winterizing, I've decided to make it more accessible to add the pink stuff.
Here's some before and after photos of the plumbing on our 179.

Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 3:41pm
That's a really nice idea/job!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
timpamt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timpamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 9:49am
Amazing!

The pictures tell the story - but a few words about the specifics would be helpful. For example - what is the extra black tank for?

Really nice mod. I am putting this on my to-do list!! It would make it a lot easier to de-winterize for a winter trip, and the re-winterize afterward!!
Tim and Pam
2017 R-Pod 179 - "Little Bear"
2014 Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab
Jonknite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jonknite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 12:27pm
kpieper876 - Are you a member of the R-Pod Owners Facebook page? A little easier to communicate. If not, my question is what size is your spare tire?

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuJoPodders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 9:21pm
Sorry about not including a narrative with all the photos. It's been awhile since I've posted photos here and I couldn't quite get it right.

I'm no stranger to all the steps needed to add anti-freeze to a Pod. I previously owned a 177 and had to repeat the process several times a winter since we often camp during the winter.

When we bought the 179 this year I immediately located all the plumbing components. 
First shock, finding that none of the plywood was fastened down. Second surprise was that to reach all the valves, both pieces of plywood had to be removed.
At first, I was going to just move the valves to same side of the water heater and continue to remove the bed each time. Then I figured I may as well go all in with an access door from the outside.
I ordered the door from Amazon and while waiting for it to arrive I began with the process of moving the water lines. Removing the old PEX cinch clamps was the hardest task, but managed with a good pair of lever side cutters. I wanted to retain the factory appearance so I kept with the PEX piping. I only needed 5 feet each of the blue and red pipe. I did have to purchase the special crimping tool for the new cinch clamps, but you may be able to find it at a tool rental place. I needed about 25 new cinch clamps and a few elbows and tees.
During this time I read a post about the benefits of an accumulator tank. The tank I used is a two gallon one. An air bladder makes up half of the tank and is pressurized at about 25 lbs. psi.The claims were that one would even out the flow and cut down on how often the water pump cycles. I found that at a setting of 25 lbs, I could run the water about fifteen seconds without the pump coming on. Not really impressive, I know. But, with the pump turned off after the system is pressurized, I found I could get a full gallon of water at full pressure before running dry. 
There's plenty of room on that side of the water heater to mount the tank.
I made the tank the first thing in the line from the pump. I also added a valve on the line to the tank so that when it came to adding the pink stuff, I can shut it off so I don't fill the tank up with antifreeze.
Once I got the door, I marked off a spot that I thought would look good, and proceeded to cut the hole.
My mistake!!! My jigsaw didn't even slow down when it hit the aluminium stud! As it is the shortest stud on the wall, I wasn't too worried, but just to be safe I built a header over the opening.
To avoid the stud, I would advise relocating the clearance light slightly forward. Not much. Just enough to avoid the stud. About two inches will do.
Another option is to use a smaller hatch.

voisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote voisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 9:40pm
SUJO,
Love the access Panel mod! I had been looking for a door that would fit and had no luck and thanks to you I found it!! This ones on the list!!
rgds john
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuJoPodders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 9:54pm
Here's a link for the 2 gal accumulator tank that I used.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Gallon-Accumulator-Tank-With-Wall-Mount-Bracket-1-2-Female-NPT/129564232?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=586&adid=22222222227040751756&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=100279092994&wl4=pla-238133727634&wl5=9032722&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112354246&wl11=online&wl12=129564232&wl13=&veh=sem
Bboudens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bboudens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:56pm
G'day everyone. Been poking around this site for a few months now. Gathering info on "podding" learning quite a bit. Not all these Mods are done but I've been gathering the parts and once spring is here a solid weekend of work will have quite a transformation. I'll start with the outside.

Exterior Mods:
- two 6 volt deep cycle batteries, done last fall. To be mounted in an A frame tool box with a kill switch.
- 30 lb. propane tank. plus a bbq quick connect.
- 65" waste hose tube installed behind the front jacks
- Removable LED "puck" touch lights installed in the storage compartments
- reinforce the rear 1 1/4 hitch of the trailer to support a Yackama 4 bike rack. This I will document and do a specific post about it.

Checking the drains and possibly replacing the screws that hold the fresh water tank with bolts is another mod that might happen.

Interior Mods:
- AC plug, USB port and volt reader mounted in the bed area.
- sticker tile backsplash + towel bar and PT holder in kitchen area.
- Mount a mirror on the bathroom door.
- Serving tray cover for the stove top. Not planning on much cooking inside the trailer
- Folding cup holders in dinette and bed area for water bottles at night.
- Shelves over windows for little personal storage areas for wallets, keys and sunglasses etc. for guests.
- Closet bar mounted in wet bath for towel dry area or for more storage.
- stair gate in rear bed area for infant son and nephews. = giant crib.

I'd like to thank everyone on the forum for all the great ideas and info. I take no credit for originality. I hope to create a mod page once it's all done. This will probably be harder for me than doing the mods.

Cheers      

Keep your stick on the ice
2016 178HRE
2011 Silverado 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 77>