R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Mods:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 77>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Your Mods:
    Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 10:02pm

My recent additions:

Half-way through installing a rear shelf, as Outbound did here.  I used strips of plywood for supports.  They look a little crooked here but the top edges are basically level.

Here with the shelf in place.  My goal was "functional" and not "pretty" yet, since I have two trips in the next two weeks.  Pretty will have to come later with some trim on the front and stain.

I notched the inside corner, there is an outlet at the edge of the bed and this will let me run an extension cord directly up to the shelf.

I also added a shelf up front.

I have an old entertainment center that I was going to trash soon, by chance the finish on it almost perfectly matches the 'pod, and also by chance one of the shelves fit this spot without modification.  I cut pieces off another shelf to make the supports.

I had curtains made a month or so ago, the mini blinds that came with the 'pod didn't block much light and made lots of noise when I kicked them in the middle of the night.  So they were gone after the first trip.  I found material that went well with the existing material on the header.  I also purchased black vinyl material which I had incorporated as a middle layer to make them completely light-proof.  It is now very, very dark no matter how bright it is outside.  We like to sleep in!

A final addition, three tubs.  One for shoes, one for trash, one for recyclables.  For a while we allowed shoes inside but there was always a huge pile in front of the door.  So we banished them outside but didn't have a good solution if it rained.  Now we do.  We also used to tie a trash bag to the door stop outside and put a collapsible container next to it for recyclables.  This should be neater.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Podsible Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 6:14pm
I like your containers for trash and recycling. We usually have plastic bags that get stashed in the back of the truck. Your shelves look neat. I just completed a couple of things - need to get photos out...
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Podsible Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 11:26am
Here are the promised pictures:
Used decorative rails along the 'breakfront' to enhance usability for storing books, games, binos, etc. The little oak box has a board with vertical holes for pencil and pen storage. It was installed by the previous owner.

Above the window we didn't need alot of storage, but needed to gain a little space for those lightweight things that need a home. Used the left-over piece of the rail and a piece of 1/2" plywood with an oak banding on the edge.

No picture of this, but we also put a piano hinge along the back edge of the large panel under the mattress of the 171 to allow easy opening and closing of that storage compartment. We use the 1x4 that I described for mountain mist and Hodge-Podge to hold up the lid and mattress.

I use #8x 1/2" sheet metal screws to fasten to the walls of the pod for light weight fastening. So far nothing has pulled out. The walls are 1/8" plywood with a coarse grain center ply, so the coarse threads on the selftapping screws seem to grip well.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 4:27pm
One of the more recent mod ideas that we stole from another podder was to try to enlarge the showering area by using a curtain extender.   The original one by R&T was done with pvc pipe and ours was done with 3/4 and 1/2 inch type M copper pipe pipe  and a screw run threw the wall to secure it and then sealed with silicone.  It seemed to work well over the last weekend.

Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
Hugozork View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hugozork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 9:54pm
minor change but major effect for viewing

FrenchyPOD 171 2011
Toyota FJ Cruiser 2008 - MIA
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:47pm
We have done the dual battery mod, added a mirror to the bath door, a white board to the entry wall, and are about to add 12v sockets in the dinette and bed frame walls.

But today I was bored and knocked out this little "device".. I have been wanting to build something like it for a while.. Not quite a trailer mod, but it's only use is with our camping trailers..

It plugs into the umbilical on the trailer, draws 12v from the trailer, and one switch turns on the running lights for camping ambiance, and the second switch turns on the emergency flashers, in case you break down and have to disconnect the TV for some reason..
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 6:14pm
Do you have a pic of the front wheel mod ? Would be interested in seeing that.

Thanks in advance   ...

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 12:21pm
Today's mods.. Added a 12v socket in the front of the dinette, and noticed there was some storage area to be recovered in that bench..

Socket..

Bench storage..

Oh yeah.. and I moved that little table mount thing to the back so it would make it easier to get in and out of the dinette on the street side.

and while not a "mod" per se.. We found these two bins at wallyworld, one holds all the water stuff, the other all the electrical stuff, and they stack underneath.

The larger blue bin is the Coleman stove, griddle, toast device and collapsible fire ring. 

Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 12:29pm
Nice touch on that 12 Volt receptacle. Don't think I've ever seen one in CHROME before !

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 4:12pm
A couple more pics.. and today's 12v outlet install...

Here you can see the 12v outlet below the 120v, and notice the nice, I swear as comfortable as home, mattress. I was able to just "tap" the heater 12v supply for power..

And then just a mirror and white board..

Our house couldn't operate without the magnets on the fridge and the chalkboard beside the stove.. so this gives us both, in a compact manner, feeling more like home.. Wink

We also swapped our interior lights for LED's.. but I can't get picture that looks even kind of clear of them..

OH, and I PROMISE this is the last time I will post cell phone pictures.. we do own a couple real cameras..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 77>