R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Mods:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 77>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote scott59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Your Mods:
    Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:32pm
Good window mod.........

On the redirection mod for heater, what is the material coating the inside facing wood?
grand beaver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote grand beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 9:57pm
Insulfoam by Carlisle is the lining for the inside of the wood.....I have not used the heater yet. Am I setting my myself up for a hot mess? I don't plan to use the heater for extended periods of time and plan to keep a close eye on the surface temps but I surely don't want to burn down the "Grimpod"?..........All opinions are welcome?.....
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by grand beaver

....I built an air deflector for the heater.

From the front.

Okay. Be cautious about this. If you take the front off of the heater, you will see that the area on the lower-right is an air return. In fact, the whole area around the front of the heater is air return. By putting your box over it, you are restricting airflow so that the hot air output of the heater is pulled right back in. I think you will have problems unless you find a way to allow for cold air return.

What I did was to get a RoadPro RP8000 fan. I put a 12V outlet near the AC outlet, and plug the fan in there. I can also use 8 D-Cell batteries if I want to instead. This sets at the base of the bed blowing outward. It pulls the heat from under the bed and sends it out to the rest of the R-Pod. Since it is not blocking anything, it allows for cold air to return. It is small enough to sit there and not be a trip-hazard.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote birderdiane526 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 10:37pm
Your window addition looks terrific!
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
grand beaver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote grand beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 11:15pm
Thanks StephenH........I respect your opinion as I have read many of your mods and know you know the pods well. I will consider putting some kind of fan behind it. I didn't even consider the air intake for the heater! Our upcoming trip to Boise and The Sawtooths will all be in KOA's with full hookups so I can run a "cooling" fan to push the air around the heater....Thanks again for the input!
IPPOD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote IPPOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 11:39pm
GREAT WORK, CLT. GOOOD IDEA OF SPACE UTILIZATION. I LIKE THE LOG SMOOTH LOOK.
NOW LOOK AT MAKING THE CABINET OVER THE SINK 9 " DEEPER.
ADDS TONS OF STORAGE
SEE U OUT THERE.
Smile
IPPOD
177=2013
Grand Cherokee 2014 5.7
Island Park, Id
dbrimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dbrimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 4:29pm
Moved post here after realizing this is the larger (primary?) of the 'mods' threads. Cool

We've been exploring and camping with our 171 for a couple months now and working on mods in between trips. There are a few of the more noteworthy mods we've finished to date.

#1 - Drivers side settee (electrical cabinet): moved dual battery setup from tongue to here, moved water pump to wall, added 30A transfer switch, 12v circuit breaker, 1000w inverter, ammeter shunt and 12v bus bars (not shown, on floor below circuit breaker). Area was already an absolute rats nest of inappropriate wiring from FR that I'll probably need to take apart and correct some day.

#2 Generator/LPG tongue tray - Fabbed up a system that better suites our needs. Tray is bolted to frame and offset to balance the weight better. LPG bottle holder is bolted to tray. Generator is bolted to tray (from underneath) and cable locked thru tray/generator/frame for maximum thief annoyance.

#3 - Info/charging panel(s) front of sink / side of settee: in front of the sink we added a voltmeter, 2 USB charging ports and a 12v accessory port. The switch was a last minute addition and turns the voltmeter on/off (so the light doesn't drive my other half crazy). To the side of the settee (sink side) we added an info panel (voltmeter, ammeter, watt meter, etc) and a remote switch to the inverter. I use this to see at a glance how much power the 12v system is pulling and find it indispensable in this regard. Holes were made with forstner bits (and a backing plate) and jig saw.

If anyone wants better/larger pictures or details of any of our mods I'm happy to share so just ask.

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 4:54pm
dbrimm,
What kind of batteries are you using, wet flooded cell or AGM? If they are wet cell, how are you providing ventilation for the batteries to prevent hydrogen build-up and the accompanying risk of explosion?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
dbrimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dbrimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by StephenH

dbrimm,
What kind of batteries are you using, wet flooded cell or AGM? If they are wet cell, how are you providing ventilation for the batteries to prevent hydrogen build-up and the accompanying risk of explosion?

They're Group 24 flooded cells and I don't take any particular precautions against hydrogen buildup other than providing regular ventilation to the Pod (in addition to it's comprehensive built in leakiness), keeping the batteries in good shape and limiting the charge rate so as to not overcharge/overheat them.

I've gotten very comfortable with the above after 20 years and hundreds of thousands of miles spent in watertight / nearly airtight enclosed spaces with these kinds of batteries and systems (merchant marine). As far as I'm concerned it's a non-issue in scenarios like this, at least as applies to me and mine. Smile
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 5:26pm
Nicely done on the mods dbrimm! I have to say I would not be comfortable with flooded cells inside a Pod locker. I spent a few years and more than a few tens of thousands of miles driving boats (yachts) and always had more engine room ventilation than what the Pod affords. Anyway, nice job!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 77>