R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Mods:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 77>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote deroosje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Your Mods:
    Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 8:41am
Anyone remove the entertaiment center out of the 176?  would like to get rid of both top bunk and entertainment center to make a bigger bed but don't know what wiring is in the entertianment center.

MOD NOTE. Since you asked the same question twice, I deleted the 2nd one.
dcard44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dcard44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 10:55am
How did you secure the dispenser in the wet bath? I have a 177, same bathroom and would like to add that too.
dcard44
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 10:21am
Hi everyone,

I've been busily working on making my 2016 172 "mine." So here's a first round of posted mods:

1. I removed the dinette table opening up the space and making more of a "living room" feel; this really made the pod feel bigger. I have a folding table to use when its needed.
2. I replaced the back cushions (that were too far back into the slope to be comfortable anyway) with piles of pillows and made bright covers for them.
3) I covered the valences in a coordinating fabric until I get to replacing those window covering altogether.
4) I removed the dark brown back curtain that blocked all the light and made a fabric roll-down shade to replace it.
5) I opened the under-dinette storage to be accessible without lifting the cushion and added storage bins.

I've got a couple of nice pictures of all of this but I can't for the life of me figure out how to post them here.Ouch

Julie
Julie
shande61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote shande61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 10:46am
Hello everyone.  We have a 2016 RPOD 171.  I am building a wooden cabinet to install over the window above the bed.  It will be curved to match the ceiling. I want to attached it to the ceiling and wall above the window.  From what I've found the walls are made from tubular Aluminum.  Any ideas on how to best locate these?  Another assumption is that the roof is wood.  Is it solid wood?  From front to back.  Thank you all for any insight.  We love our RPOD.  
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 11:04am
shande81, you can find the frame using a stud good quality stud finder.  It will pick up both metal and wood.  As for the construction of the roof, I believe it is framed with 2x2's perpendicular to the walls that are attached to the aluminum wall frame.  inside is fiberglass insulation and it's covered with a big single sheet of fiberglass that extends from the bottom front of the trailer over the roof and to the bottom real of the trailer.  There are some videos of the fabrication of the rPod that you can take a look at that will give you a very good idea of the basic structure.  

By the way, welcome to the board and congratulations on your new acquisition.   
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 11:15am
Take a look at this construction video:

The flat section of the roof and the walls are framed with 1 inch square AL tubing. The curved roof sections contain wood stringers. I wouldn't recommend trying to attach anything significant to those, there's not much strength there. 

If you have a cool humid morning you can often see where the structural members are are because of condensation differences.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 12:27pm
I built a shelf that goes across the bed on my 179 - the walls are really not strong at all, you can only use extra-short molly bolts as the veneer skin is very thin. I built mine out of 1/8" underlayment plywood and 1/2" milled hemlock (Lowes carries it) which is strong and very lightweight. I wouldn't plan on anything that weighs more than 20-25 lbs loaded. We use ours for clothes in plastic baskets. 
mhfnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mhfnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 9:11am
I made a couple mods to my 179 I thought I'd share:

- I added an electronic igniter for the stove top burners. Only $12 and fairly easy to do.  Drill holes for the igniters and mount the push button on the cabinet panel. The most difficult was to position the igniter rods far enough away from arching to the burner then bend in the rod at the end right to the point gas exits the burner. No more needing to use a butane lighter!

- To significantly reduce drafts to make sleeping more comfortable and improve energy efficiency, I also caulked around the bed platform with clear caulk, put foam weather stripping under the strips supporting the plywood, and added screws in the corners and mid-way of the plywood (6 screws vs only 2 from the factory) to improve the seal of the plywood to the weatherstripping. Total cost about $10.

- My Apple iPhone 8 makes a great video player as it has 256 GB of memory and I can download shows/movies from Netflix and Amazon Prime to watch on the Rpod TV with HDMI input. To do this you need the Apple lightning to HDMI adapter (only one that works with protected content). You also need a 12V DC to AC converter to power the TV when only on battery and install a 12V cigarette lighter socket to power the converter, which I installed up by the TV spliced into the entertainment system 12V power to power it. I also put a combo USB port/12V socket by the bed so I can charge my iPhone and 12V vacuum I also carry. It is mounted on the bed platform next the AC outlet and spliced it into the 12V used for the furnace.
Here are a list of the items.

- I also added a wireless back-up camera I posted in this forum at the link below.

boater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote boater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 11:17am
Hi , Boater here , we just completed installing the Forest River supplied 4 inch Lippert Axle raise kit on our 2018 178 . Unit has 15 inch tires and Lipppert torsion axle .  Just love the lift kit results  ,, good clearance , and do not feel we need new step unit. ( have single step) . Of course had to have the sway control / hitch system we use re done to facilitate the raised height . Also I will add 4 inches of blocks/ pads under the 4 trailer stabilizer jacks just so they do not go down so far .  After the initial kit  cost from Forest River , the  install was $250. re do sway bars $65 . Plan ahead however to find a dealer or service company to install the lift kit . Many are not familiar and will not do it . Took 2 weeks to get the kit from Forest River and they were extremely helpful . 
We not feel we are ready for National forest campgrounds , boondocking and any gully’s for surprises that come our way . 
lms1958 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lms1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 1:42am
I looked at the Amazon link for the 

Grill Igniter with Spark Plug Wire

and it says that it requires a AA battery.  Where is the part of the igniter that has the battery, and do you have to take the stove apart to replace the battery?

2018 Hood River 189
2012 Toyota 4 Runner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 77>