R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPowering The Fridge Underway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powering The Fridge Underway
    Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 10:02pm
We had a great, but short, trip last month, Phoenix to Durango and back. The real objective of the trip was to learn about RV travel first hand. We're going to rent a few models of the R-Pod before we decide on buying. That's where we are.

On the trip we had issues with keeping the fridge cold while traveling. Never did solve it. Seems to be a difference in opinions about using battery power or propane power while on the highway. What is correct? One person tells us, kinda in low tones like it was a dirty little secret, "Keep the propane cracked open a little to get to the fridge, but don't let any law enforcement people know!".
Huh?
Another person had the opposite opinion. "OMG!! Don't EVER do that!"
And another.... "Yes, it's best to use propane anytime you are not hooked up to power. And yes, that includes while traveling on the highway.

So... forgive me if this is one of those "Newby" questions. We are total newbies and appreciate the valuable experience living on the forum.

What are the best/rightest/smartest things to do?
BB
"Life Is A One Lap Race!"
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 10:18pm
If you do a quick search of the forum, you will find this is a hotly discussed topic. Some results of previous threads:
1. Propane is more efficient than 12v and will keep the fridge cooler.
2. Almost all larger RV's run propane all the time on the road.
3. It's a good idea to shut off the fridge when at a gas station.

If it's been as hot in Phoenix as I've heard, then then fridge is going to struggle no matter what. If it's 90º+ outside, it's going to be hard to get the temp down into the 40ºs inside. That's been my experience anyway. Also, only put prechilled items in the fridge and keep the door shut as much as possible.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 10:22pm
I use propane when on the road all the time.  The only time you need to turn it off is when you pull in to a gas station to refuel.  The new style propane tanks have safety shutoff valves inside the tank so if there was a huge gas leak it would automatically shut off.  The tiny flame that the refrigerator uses inside of the combustion area really poses no threat of burning down your RV.

There will be people on here telling you never tow with propane turned on.  That there are burned out shells of RV's scattered all over the highways because they used propane.  I think its a bunch of BS....  Just ask yourself when was the last time you saw a burned out shell of an RV along the roadside?
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 10:38pm
While it is a subject of contention, if we did a poll, I'll bet that at least 80% of the folks here use propane when they aren't connected to shore power, including while driving.  With the protection devices built into propane tanks themselves in addition to those in the refrigerator itself, it's very safe to do so.

And the likelihood of it even being an issue at a gas station is close to nil.  For anything to happen, the minimal gasoline vapor escaping from your vehicle while you're filling up would need to a good 10-15 feet horizontally and up somewhat (keeping in mind that gas vapors are heavier than air), in an open environment, to the vent of your refrigerator, ignite, and then race all that distance back to your fuel nozzle and ignite it as well.  Virtually 100% of gas station fires are caused by static electricity or some other source igniting the vapors within inches of the fuel.

It's not absolutely 100% safe (nothing is), but you're literally about 10,000 times more likely to get involved in an auto accident while towing your Pod than you are to encounter a problem with running your propane while driving or even filling up.

If you're really concerned about it, just turn the refrigerator off before filling up, remembering to turn it back on when you leave.

If you want to run your refrigerator on 12 volt, you'll almost certainly need to have the power line running to your Pod from your tow vehicle upgraded as the lines are seldom of sufficient gauge to power the refrigerator.  Otherwise, you'll wind up with a dead battery, which causes long-term harm to the battery itself.

Regarding law enforcement, I have not even heard a rumor of an office asking whether they were running their refrigerator on propane while driving.

The only time I've ever heard of a problem with this is below.  It appears that the guy somehow sprayed the outside of his RV where the refrigerator vent is, and the gasoline ignited.  Even the local fire inspector wasn't sure that the refrigerator running on propane was the cause of the fire.  With hundreds of thousands of RVs on the road, and a large number of them doing this all of the time, I think we can safely say that running your refrigerator on propane while driving is safe.
http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20100325/ARTICLES/100329598
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 10:45pm

Sometimes you do see a burned out camper. Saw this one on our last camping trip, but don't know how it started. Very scary looking. Glad we weren't camping near it when it happened.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by shroomer

Sometimes you do see a burned out camper. Saw this one on our last camping trip, but don't know how it started. Very scary looking. Glad we weren't camping near it when it happened.

I really don't mean to be rude, but unless we at least have a good idea of the cause, it's really not relevant.  The fire could have been caused by open candles being burned with no one inside or a faulty lithium ion battery (now those can be REALLY dangerous); we just have no idea.

Houses catch fire, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't heat with natural gas or propane.  People get electrocuted, but we use electricity all the time.  Traffic fatalities are a major source of loss of life, yet we think nothing of jumping in the car to go run an errand.  We understand the risks and accept them.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 12:32am
They put gas water heaters in garages, mounted above the floor because gasoline vapors are heavier than air and so sink to the floor.

The National Fuel Gas Code (Z 223.1 – 2006, Section 9.1.10.1)
Installation in Residential Garages
a. Appliances in residential garages and in adjacent spaces that open to the garage and are not part of the living space of a dwelling unit shall be installed so that all burners and burner ignition devices are located not less than 18 in. (460mm) above the floor unless listed as Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant.

The only restrictions I've read about with operating propane on the highways is in tunnels. (all back on the East cost and Texas)
GENERAL COMMENTS:
Tunnels that go down hill have restrictions to stop and make sure propane is turned off. Tunnels that rise slightly have no restrictions.
Virginia tunnels go down under the water. Propane is heavier than air and in theory could pool in the very bottom of the tunnels. So you need to stop and tell an inspector they are turned off.
Most tunnels that go thru mountains have a slight rise to the middle. That's why you don't have to stop for most of those tunnels.
http://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/propane-tanks-in-tunnels.html
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 12:21pm
I tow with the fridge on battery, mainly because it's one less thing I have to remember to take care of in those situations where propane needs to be turned off.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by JandL

They put gas water heaters in garages, mounted above the floor because gasoline vapors are heavier than air and so sink to the floor.

The National Fuel Gas Code (Z 223.1 – 2006, Section 9.1.10.1)
Installation in Residential Garages
a. Appliances in residential garages and in adjacent spaces that open to the garage and are not part of the living space of a dwelling unit shall be installed so that all burners and burner ignition devices are located not less than 18 in. (460mm) above the floor unless listed as Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant.

The only restrictions I've read about with operating propane on the highways is in tunnels. (all back on the East cost and Texas)
GENERAL COMMENTS:
Tunnels that go down hill have restrictions to stop and make sure propane is turned off. Tunnels that rise slightly have no restrictions.
Virginia tunnels go down under the water. Propane is heavier than air and in theory could pool in the very bottom of the tunnels. So you need to stop and tell an inspector they are turned off.
Most tunnels that go thru mountains have a slight rise to the middle. That's why you don't have to stop for most of those tunnels.
http://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/propane-tanks-in-tunnels.html

Fascinating post. The part about garage heaters confirms what Techntrek's been saying for years. Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and tend to stay low. The part about tunnels East and West also interesting. I never stopped to think about going under rivers vs going up through mountains. Of course we all know Propane pools in basements  and can be ignited by sparks or matches Disapprove

I travel with the fridge on Propane with no concerns, but my 7 cu fridge gives me no other option.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 7:56pm
We are now entering our 6th year with our 177.  Almost always the fridge is using propane.  The only exception is when we happen to be at a campground that offers electric.  Since we boondock the majority of the time, propane is what we use.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>