Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Maiden Voyage - Event Date: 10 Jun 2016 - 25 Jun 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: The Maiden Voyage
    Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 8:09am
Wife and I took the new R-Pod 180 on its maiden voyage recently, starting out in Eastern PA and working our way out to the Rocky Mountains.  We'd only had it about a month and we're new to the entire concept of RVing, so it was quite an adventure for us.  Confused  After driving all day thru the Pennsylvania mountains and onto the Ohio turnpike, we were pleasantly surprised to learn that several of the service plazas on the OH turnpike have an RV lot for overnighters, complete with hookups and a dump station.  Smile  We drove across the prairie over the next couple days on I-80, boring for most people but since I grew up in Iowa, it was refreshing for me.  As we climbed out of Nebraska and into Colorado, I was keeping an eye on an ominous looking storm brewing to the south, when all of a sudden a large tornado takes shape right before my eyes, just as the "shelter in place" alerts started going off on our phones.  Star  Although I'm not recommending it, I now know that the R-Pod can do about 90 mph in case it becomes necessary for any reason.  Wink  We spent time in Rocky Mountain National Park, then on to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, and finally up to Glacier in Montana before we pointed it back towards the east and worked our way home.  We had a great time and the Lilly Pod  --as we sometimes call it because of the Frog and Lilly Pad emblem on the side-- did great generally speaking.  Our only pod issue was the Jensen TV screen.  It seemed to have a mind of its own and only worked intermittently. Angry  The 19 inchers are pretty cheap nowadays (less than $100), so I'll probably just replace it with something better for the next voyage.  Everything else on the R-Pod worked as good or better than expected.  For finding campgrounds, we used several resources including a phone app (android) called RV Parks that was pretty useful.  Of the many lessons learned, we decided we'd try to avoid campgrounds that are mostly permanent residents.  It's not that they are bad places, or bad people, but it just wasn't the experience we were looking for.  (We enjoy meeting other travelers and things like that.)  We also found that checklists were pretty useful (after pulling onto a highway and noticing that the hand rail was still deployed.)  Cry  To sum it up, we had a blast and are already planning our next trip in September.  

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 8:24am
Sounds like a great trip!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 8:27am
Congratulations on your successful maiden voyage and welcome to the forum. We have a 179 that we picked up in December. Our maiden voyage was from North Carolina to Las Vegas (older daughter and family) and San Tan Valley, AZ (younger daughter and family.) We stayed mostly at truck stops on that trip. Most of the rest areas we saw did not have hookups and some specifically prohibited overnight stays. It is good to know Ohio is an exception.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 9:25am
Congratulations on your maiden voyage! Exciting, isn't it? Good to know about the Ohio turnpike. Is it a toll road?
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
DawgLady View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 10:01am
Enjoyed your post. We are leaving Saturday for a 3 week trip out west to Tetons, Badlands, Custer State Park, Frontier Days in Cheyenne Wy. I have been researching fior campgrounds that are in parks so will not have to pay much for campsites. Most of them say first come first served and I am concerned about having a camp site each night. Did you have any problems finding places? I also have 116 R 180 and love it!!
Dawg Lady
2016 R-180 "Lizzy"
Georgia
Trotwood View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 3:21pm
Thanks for the feed back everyone! The Ohio Turnpike is a limited access toll road. Essentially, the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76) connects with the Ohio Turnpike (I-80/90) which connects with the Indiana Turnpike which feeds into the toll roads coming out of Chicago. So you can drive from Philly to Chicago without ever leaving the toll road. It's very efficient and fast, but obviously not very scenic. You can pay cash but they also use EZ-pass, which is an electronic toll charging system that reads a little transponder hanging on your wind shield. It's worth getting EZ-Pass if you use it often. A lot of the bridges and tunnels on the east coast are toll also. (They charge for everything out here.) I'm afraid the next question will be, "how much does it cost?" I confess that I don't really know. The Incredible Amazing Cowgirl (my wife) pays that bill. As for overnighting at the service plazas on the turnpike, it looked like only Ohio offered those and it was only certain service plazas, not every one. They were nice tho. We used one going out and another coming home.

Dawg Lady, we did Frontier Days a few years ago. You'll have a blast! We usually didn't have problems finding campgrounds, but we didn't limit ourselves to parks. For Frontier Days, I'd try to make arrangements ahead of time as that event draws a lot of campers into the area. You can always camp an hour or so away and drive to cheyenne each day.

Glad I found this forum. It's full of nice folks and lots of good info.
DawgLady View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 4:25pm
Thanks for advice. Maybe we will meet on the road one day ☺️
Dawg Lady
2016 R-180 "Lizzy"
Georgia
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 5:26pm
Thanks, Trotwood, for the Ohio turnpike info!

Happy trails!
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
JHoffman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 9:49pm
I'm with you on the camp grounds with permanent residents, most of them seem to have golf carts and I hate golf carts!  For me it ruins the camping atmosphere when there is a steady stream of golf carts flying past my camp site making noise and stiring up clouds of dust.
2016 176t Rpod the "Hoffpod"
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
 Post Reply Post Reply