This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Why an r-pod Owners Forum?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why an r-pod Owners Forum?
    Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 3:52pm
You may need something more than the 3000 lb towing capacity.  Lots of advice and knowledge here on the forum concerning that.  
four peas
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 9:01pm
2010 Ford Explorer is rated between 3500 and 7115 lbs depending on axle ratio installed and class of hitch.  I expect other model years have similar ratings.  Many of us with 3500 pound rated vehicles don't have any major issue, but many people find they "hit a wall" above 55 mph, but this isn't really related to the tow rating and more about engine power.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 12:22am
Here are a couple of websites that might help you determine if your vehicle is equipped to handle the Rpod safely.

http:///changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/vehicle-towing/maneuvers/dead-weight-towed-weight.htm/printable

Something to keep in mind...The best way to look at it is to take each and every maximum rating and make sure you are under every one of them. Especially after you are loaded, fueled and ready to get on the road. Often, the only way to do this is to load up your rig and head for the nearest truck stop with a scale. Weighing your rig and understanding the weights you get are key to a safe outcome.  Exceeding any of the weight ratings of the RV or the tow vehicle is nothing more than a negligence lawsuit waiting to happen. If it's proven that you exceeded the manufacturer's ratings in any way, it can easily be argued that constitutes negligence on your part in the event of an accident.

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

podpeople View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podpeople Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 12:56pm
I checked my manual and it appears as though it is of the same rating as the 2010 Ford Explorer. I think I should be okay. it says 8500 lbs GCWR and GTW is 3500 lbs.
BIG BEAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BIG BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 11:44pm
i would just like to say. that even the i have a surveyor and not a rpod. i have been treated very well here. i like the people and the camping stories. and i would like to thank this forum, for people like myself. are not the norm here so to speak. will be hitting an eastern round up soon, with the alien craft. looking forward to meeting a bunch of you guys.
LIFE DOESNT WAIT. ENJOY IT. THE ALIEN CRAFT 2011 SURVEYOR SPORT TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
Char View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Char Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 3:56pm
hi my husband and I  are in search of a very light weight rv and have been looking at rpods as well as camp light, aframes an white water retro.  We like the rpod 172 so we could at least have 1 grandchild sometimes.  We are coming from a pup weighing Gvwr 1900 lbs. our TV is a 2009 Hyundai Santa fee limited with factory tow package, 6 cy 3.3 liter. Front wheel drive. Max weight is 3500 lbs max hitch 350.  For you experienced rpod owners would we be able to tow the 171 or 172 without issues.  Do you like your rpod, does it have a lot of wind resistance, any real issues.  Thanks so much.  I will look forward to any input:). 
Char View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Char Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 4:10pm
hi my husband and I  are in search of a very light weight rv and have been looking at rpods as well as camp light, aframes an white water retro.  We like the rpod 172 so we could at least have 1 grandchild sometimes.  We are coming from a pup weighing Gvwr 1900 lbs. our TV is a 2009 Hyundai Santa fee limited with factory tow package, 6 cy 3.3 liter. Front wheel drive. Max weight is 3500 lbs max hitch 350.  For you experienced rpod owners would we be able to tow the 171 or 172 without issues.  Do you like your rpod, does it have a lot of wind resistance, any real issues.  Thanks so much.  I will look forward to any input:). We also need advise on this and I am not sure where to post, sorry do not know much about forum stuff used to facebook groups
Jpntime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jpntime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 10:30pm
 I have a 171 and pull it with a Jeep Wrangler four-door with a 3500 pound tow  rating it feels very safe in the wind doesn't move it around too much but it definitely slows you down and if you want to drive over 55 to 60 with the small engines they work very hard  I have taken some long trips with it and no complaints at all stopping starting Hills or anything and love the fact I can almost Park in any campsite that you can put a tent 
Love to camp
2014 171
GorgePod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GorgePod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 10:46pm
This has become my "go to" forum. I don't know how any others there are, but the FR one is rather generic. I think rPods are unique and attract a certain type of person. "Normal" campers don't seem to get it.

My only gripe is that the mobile experience is less than great. If I had the ability, I'd offer to help.

Hopefully you are still getting the information sent on upcoming products. I love new and creative stuff.
TGIFRIDAY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TGIFRIDAY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 2:26pm
I am new to this. I am trying to do the introduce yourself, but can't figure out where to enter any info. Is is possible I didn't do my settings correctly when I set up my profile? Just want to be able to post and ask questions. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>