R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRear window leaking on 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear window leaking on 179
    Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 5:24pm
I picked me up a Torx screwdriver today to check all the screws holding the window in. More than half of the screws were loose. Some really loose. After i tightened them really tight i ran a bead of quality caulk across the top and down the sides of the window. Not the bottom. I won't no how successful i got until it rains again. We are in a state park right now, so no hose to try it out. They are calling for rain in two days. I'll post then how my results came out. I would suggest anyone with a 179 to check those screws, even if they have not had a problem
Pmorris1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 10:42am
Just wanted to update my water leak. It is still leaking after I tightened the screws and recaulked. When I returned from my camping trip I had my wife use the hose to spray the window outside while I watched inside. The water is dripping from the top of the window frame on the inside. I measured the distance from the side to where it was dripping. Went outside and used my measurement . It came to where there is a vertical joint in the outside window frame. Are all the 179 rear window frames made with this joint? Seems the frame should be a solid piece, not have a seam. At least the joint or seam should be at the bottom not the top. Maybe my window was installed upside down. Any feedback 
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Pmorris1

Just wanted to update my water leak. It is still leaking after I tightened the screws and recaulked. When I returned from my camping trip I had my wife use the hose to spray the window outside while I watched inside. The water is dripping from the top of the window frame on the inside. I measured the distance from the side to where it was dripping. Went outside and used my measurement . It came to where there is a vertical joint in the outside window frame. Are all the 179 rear window frames made with this joint? Seems the frame should be a solid piece, not have a seam. At least the joint or seam should be at the bottom not the top. Maybe my window was installed upside down. Any feedback 

This is a good question for your dealer.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 11:34am
+1 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Pmorris1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 3:07pm
The dealer I purchased it from will not answer any questions because they told me it is now two months out of warranty. All they will say is bring it in and will repair it for a price. I ask forest river if they would cover the repair under warranty. I was turned down. I wish I had never purchased this Rpod. What terrible quality control. They no of problems and they keep building them the same way year after year. That panel below your fridge that hides some wiring, it's held on with two screws which strip out and the panel falls off. Going down the road that panel vibrates, and moves because it's not secured at the bottom. They should use like a piano hinge at the top to hang it so all the weight and movement isn't on the two screws.the screws don't even screw into wood. 
Nugget View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 9:21pm
We are really new owners and have not had any leaks...yet. When we picked up our 179 a couple weeks ago I was surprised that all of the caulk has been finished with a human finger. Having always been boaters we know that the finger method leaves a very thin surface on the edges. This thin edge very quickly starts to fail and spreads into the joint. There are very inexpensive caulk tools that will make a perfect caulk bead that will last.

I plan on removing all caulk with 3M caulk remover, one area at a time. Probably about 10 hours of work.

As for the window, It should be set with polybutal . It does not appear to be? Polybutal will not leak if properly installed, even with the curved surface.

Other than that we love the unit and look forward to years of dry camping.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 7:10pm
If it has been leaking during the warranty period and you did nothing then I would wonder why?  If it didn't start leaking until the warranty period is up then how is it the manufacturer's fault?
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 11:21pm
Mine also has a vertical joint at the top right (looking at it from outside), and does not leak. Are there horizontal slots on the outside frame? Are they at the top or bottom? They should be at the bottom. If they are at the top, then the window was indeed installed upside-down. Check also to make sure they are not clogged. They are to drain any water that may get into the frame. If someone caulked the bottom of the window, these might have gotten plugged, which would prevent water from draining.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pmorris1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 12:15pm
Let me get this straight. So your saying forest river only has to build an Rpod with enough Quality to last for 12 months. Then at 14 months we the consumer just except poor quality. 
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 12:35pm
No. He said that if it was leaking during the warranty period, you should have taken it in to the dealer and had it fixed. It does not matter if it is a new car, a new boat, a new computer, or a new travel trailer. Once it is outside the warranty period, repairs are your responsibility.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>