Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCharging battery while connected to tow vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charging battery while connected to tow vehicle
    Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 10:35pm
While enroute to our destinations, we have been switching the fridge over to DC. Our last trip was over 5 hours and when we arrived, the battery was dead. I assumed that the battery was charged by the tow vehicle and clearly it is not (at least in my case). There seems to be mixed info when Googled... Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

What is everyone else's experience with this, and does anyone run off propane while driving long distances?

2016 r-pod 180
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 11:10pm
Unless we're connected to shore power, we always run our refrigerator on propane.  Many, many folks here do the same.  With the safety equipment in place, this is not at all a dangerous practice.  I've never even heard of a rumor of anyone having a problem with running propane while driving.

Most tow vehicles do not have sufficient gauge wiring to provide as much power to the Pod's battery as the refrigerator draws, and the difference drains the battery.  So yes, your TV is probably charging your battery but just not enough to compensate for the refrigerator.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Patriot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 6:09am
Good to know. Thx for the info
2016 r-pod 180
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 6:19am
Originally posted by WillThrill

Unless we're connected to shore power, we always run our refrigerator on propane.  Many, many folks here do the same.  With the safety equipment in place, this is not at all a dangerous practice.  I've never even heard of a rumor of anyone having a problem with running propane while driving.
Most tow vehicles do not have sufficient gauge wiring to provide as much power to the Pod's battery as the refrigerator draws, and the difference drains the battery.  So yes, your TV is probably charging your battery but just not enough to compensate for the refrigerator.

+1.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 6:23am
 I've been using propane 100% while traveling for a couple years now. Many refrigerators are 2 way, either propane OR 120VAC only in many campers. So it would be impossible for those people to run 12VDC while traveling, so it makes sense that our 3 way fridges are fine to also run in propane mode while traveling.

I know on ferries, you are usually required to shut of the propane tanks while crossing.  Then either 12VDC or leave the fridge door shut for the crossing.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 8:18am
What is your tow vehicle? We run on 12v always when towing, no issue. Did 11 hours a week ago, ice cream was still frozen and fridge still 35F when I got home. As always. It depends on the tow vehicle. Many are capable, but not properly prepared from the factory, as they need a relay or fuse installed.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 8:40am
We travel with our fridge on battery all the time. The one key I notice is that hotter it is outside the faster the battery will drain. We travel from Vermont to Cape Hatteras in the fall and the battery stays nearly at full charge (16 hr drive done in 2 days) but when we went to Miami and the Keys, in hot humid weather, it couldnt keep up and would drain right down in 3-4 hours.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Patriot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 12:18pm
My tow vehicle is a volvo xc60. Hitch and wiring were installed at the dealer. This kind of confirms what I got from Google that it works for some vehicles and not others. I'm happy running on propane going forward while driving as long as that's safe. I will check with the dealer to see if there is some way to get it to work with my setup.

2016 r-pod 180
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 1:11pm
If by dealer you mean the Volvo dealer, he can check/confirm your TV is equipped to charge the TT battery when the engine is running. Even if it is the best that can happen is it will maintain the charge with the fridge on 12V and that may take adding a heavier wire to the Volvo. Running the fridge on propane is by far the best solution. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 3:06pm
Yup, it probably only has 12 gauge wiring to the Bargeman, that is the usual setup both for factory and aftermarket installations.

It needs at least 10 gauge, preferably 8 gauge.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>