R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Lighting furnace - Event Date: 25 Jun 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mylopez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Lighting furnace
    Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 8:32am
Do you have to manually light furnace or does it have an electric starter?  (R-Pod 178)
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ToolmanJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 9:02am
 You should only have to set the thermostat to heat and have the setpoint higher than ambient. And make sure the propane tank valve is open and there is propane. Also make sure there is battery power available or be plugged into 120VAC power. The furnace won't run without some electricity for the fan and thermostat.

Before firing up the furnace, make sure to light the gas burners on the stove for a short time, this gets gas flowing out to the furnace quicker (if it's in the rear of the R-Pod).
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
mylopez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mylopez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 9:13am
What do you mean by  higher than ambient"?  Sorry for all the questions, but new at this.
WillThrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote WillThrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 10:37am
Originally posted by mylopez

What do you mean by  higher than ambient"?  Sorry for all the questions, but new at this.

In order for the furnace to turn on, you have to adjust the temperature on the thermostat to a temperature higher than what it currently is.  Also, be sure to change the setting to 'furnace'.

You don't have to be plugged into shore power for the furnace to run, but if not, you'll need your battery to be connect to the Pod.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ToolmanJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:28pm
If it's 78°F in the camper already, you would have to turn the thermostat up to at least 79°F to get the furnace to turn on. Ambient temperature is the actual air temperature.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
mtdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mtdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 12:02pm
I have a newbie furnace question too. With the camper plugged in to 120 and gas on, I adjusted the thermostat in furnace mode to higher than ambient temperature. The blower for the AC unit came on but the furnace did not. Why is this? Is the AC unit also a heater? When I do the same thing with the camper not plugged in the furnace does come on and heat.
2011 R-Pod 176
2009 Chevy Suburban 1500
WillThrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote WillThrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by mtdave

I have a newbie furnace question too. With the camper plugged in to 120 and gas on, I adjusted the thermostat in furnace mode to higher than ambient temperature. The blower for the AC unit came on but the furnace did not. Why is this? Is the AC unit also a heater? When I do the same thing with the camper not plugged in the furnace does come on and heat.

When you are connected to 120 volt power, the fan in your AC unit will run continuously while the furnace is set to 'on'.  The furnace itself, which is below the bed in our 177, only runs when it senses that the ambient temperature is at least 1 degree lower than what the thermostat is set for.  In my experience, it can take it several minutes to start the furnace though.

When you are not connected to 120 volt power, the furnace will still run, and it has a small blower of its own, but the big fan in your AC unit will not run.

The furnace uses far more propane than anything else in your Pod and also uses a fair amount of battery power when you're not connected to 120 volt.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
mtdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mtdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 3:26pm
Okay, I see. That thing about having the AC unit fan running continuously while the furnace is set to 'on' is an annoying option. Is there a way to change that?
2011 R-Pod 176
2009 Chevy Suburban 1500
CharlieM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CharlieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by mtdave

Okay, I see. That thing about having the AC unit fan running continuously while the furnace is set to 'on' is an annoying option. Is there a way to change that?

On the thermostat set the fan mode to auto.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
mtdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mtdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 4:01pm
Ah, nice. Thanks
2011 R-Pod 176
2009 Chevy Suburban 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>