R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDump Valve Modifications

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dump Valve Modifications
    Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 3:48pm
I've read here before that some folks have combined the two drain lines into one dump valve, thus to ease the dumping to one stop. FWIW, I've never owned a trailer before that had a dump, so it's a new chore for me.
I'm no pro plumber but I always do my own and plumbed each house I've built so really looking for how to avoid a pitfall here, not the basic piping procedures. I looked at the two drains and would seem obvious the gray water would need to run forward to the black drain pipe, which is larger. My Model 177 has axle risers so there appears to be plenty of room to make a drain pipe run forward. Slope is a concern that I don't know how to deal with here? Ideas?
I tried the search function on this and gave up on terms to describe this modification!
Thanks in advance! Mike
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 9:53pm
You would still want to have separate valves. If you are camping at a campground with full hookups, you would want to open the gray water valve but leave the black water valve closed until the tank is at least 3/4 full. If you pull into a dump station, you would want to dump the black water first, then the gray water to clean out the drain hose. You could use a simple Wye for this. Camco has one.If you could figure out a way to use rigid pipe instead of flexible tubing, it could work. Otherwise, two short sections of flexible hose from the connectors to the wye and then your main hose to the drain would work.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 10:40am
The R-pod has one flex hose in the tube mounted under my battery (I assume so because I've never opened the tube, as yet) but with this Camco "Y" fitting, as shown in your Walmart link, you need two flex sewer hoses. Where does the 2nd hose get stored? Can two hoses cram into that tube?
FWIW, I'm a skilled trades gut but obviously a greenhorn on this dumping thing!
Thanks for your time in reply!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 2:36pm
There is a thread on here somewhere about how someone did this.  Keep searching.  They did a good job.  (it may have been on that other rpod forum though).  It was all done with rigid pipe.  I thought about doing this, but dumping black and then grey water with two separate operations just really isn't that much trouble.  You don't have to move the pod at the dump station and you'd still have to open and close the black tank valve and the grey tank valve in sequence.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Kantuckid

The R-pod has one flex hose in the tube mounted under my battery (I assume so because I've never opened the tube, as yet) but with this Camco "Y" fitting, as shown in your Walmart link, you need two flex sewer hoses. Where does the 2nd hose get stored? Can two hoses cram into that tube?
FWIW, I'm a skilled trades gut but obviously a greenhorn on this dumping thing!
Thanks for your time in reply!

I would look at the storage tube. Mine did not come with a hose. The only length that will fit is a 10' length. I found out when I had purchased a 15' hose and tried to fit it in there.  Angry If yours came with a hose, I would be surprised.

You can purchase hose and fittings separately. That way, you could make two short hoses to the wye. The longer hose could fit in the carrier and you could either leave the short hoses and wye (with a cap) connected, or take them off and put them in a plastic box. I store the elbow and my hose that is used for the black water flush in one to keep them separate from my fresh water hose and filter.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 8:58am
I bought our 2016 Pod used from people that took it on a 13 day trip then health issues caused them to sell. I'm looking today in the tube but suspect they had a hose cause they dumped the tanks and flushed them before selling to me. Thanks! Mike
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 10:54am
Okay. I didn't know you had purchased it used. In that case, it is likely that there is a hose in the tube. That will save you some money. It really isn't hard to move the hose between the black and gray water connectors as needed. I also carry a box of nitrile gloves (from Harbor Freight) to handle the hose. I then peel the gloves off and throw them away. That keeps any potential drips from the black water tank off of my hands.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:42am
I looked at a few Valterra valves for sale on ebay, then looked again at the OE setup. I think the smart thing is to use the camper (this winter as we never camp in summer) then decide if spending $ & time is worth the effort. Yes, I know the gloves thing, I keep thick & thin ones, both in my shop toolbox plus i've rode my bicycle past many other folks dumping in RV parks. Never envied them either but we are now fully vested in a bigger trailer, so here ya go!
We put the cover on yesterday-came with the camper but I still need a new set of wheel covers. I do have my new spare cover on the front spare location.
 Post Reply Post Reply