R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed12 Volt Outlet Mod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 Volt Outlet Mod
    Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 10:59am
All,
I added a 12 volt outlet next to the power panel yesterday in my 2015 178. In searching this forum, I found examples of others that have done this on other models. The pictures shown on other mods were to connect the positive to the empty fuse slot and the negative to the negative DC strip on the back. FYI, there is no negative strip any more on the DC side other power panels on newer Rpod models. There is one on the AC side, so that is what I used and everything seems to be working. I was not aware that the AC ground is the same as the DC ground but it works and kinda makes sense.
2016 R-Pod 178
2015 Pathfinder Platinum AWD
Wife, Child and Dog on adventures
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Oliveman

All,
I added a 12 volt outlet next to the power panel yesterday in my 2015 178. In searching this forum, I found examples of others that have done this on other models. The pictures shown on other mods were to connect the positive to the empty fuse slot and the negative to the negative DC strip on the back. FYI, there is no negative strip any more on the DC side other power panels on newer Rpod models. There is one on the AC side, so that is what I used and everything seems to be working. I was not aware that the AC ground is the same as the DC ground but it works and kinda makes sense.

Not clear what bus you're tying into. The AC wiring should have two buses: One with white wires and one with bare wires. The one with white wires is AC neutral, not ground. You should NOT hook any DC wiring to this. That is dangerous. The bus with bare wires is ground. You may connect DC grounds to it. It is also connected to the trailer frame.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 7:38am
The 12V negative buss bar is not actually mounted in the distribution panel.  On my 2016 179, it is attached to the floor behind a messy bundle of wires.
Oliveman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 10:28am
Thanks, for the help. They have hidden the 12 volt ground bus pretty well on the 178. If I ever have a leak under the shower area, I will probably find it. For now, I will go with AC ground = Dc ground = Frame of Pod
2016 R-Pod 178
2015 Pathfinder Platinum AWD
Wife, Child and Dog on adventures
 Post Reply Post Reply