R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFlip Foot for jacks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flip Foot for jacks
    Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 9:25pm
 I was looking at the Fastway flip foot for the tongue jacks. I understand that it flips out of the way when raised up and automatically flips down when lowered...

BUT, can anyone tell me if it "locks" rigidly to the tongue jack tube when supporting the trailer weight? It looks like the tongue tube is "locked" inside a channel, that's great. BUT is it also locked from the front to back? If you were parked on a perfectly flat surface, and did NOT use wheel chocks (for example) and the jack was down on the ground supporting the trailer, could the trailer be rocked and would the foot fold or collapse? I can't tell from YouTube videos or online pics.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 9:31am
From what I understand, when the foot is in position, it is "locked" as you say. My 179 did not come with one. When I called about it after seeing the brochure for the 2016 R-Pods stating that it was standard equipment, I was told that my 2016 R-Pod's serial number was 400 units prior to when they made it standard. i was quite disappointed that I actually got a 2015-1/2 R-Pod instead of the 2016. However, I ended up getting a Husky flip foot that is manually deployed and uses a heavy locking pin to switch from stowed to deployed. After shortening the extension tube, I have found that it works quite well on my driveway which, from its slope, would not have allowed the Fastaway flip foot to operate. I would have had to use a block and left the foot folded anyway.

The YouTube video I saw indicates that when the Fastaway foot deploys, the whole tube lowers into the foot until the through bolt seats at the bottom of the channel. This means that the tube is locked inside the foot, and should be quite stable. It should not only prevent side-to-side movement but also front-to-back movement. It should not collapse. However, I would still use wheel chocks, even on a "perfectly flat surface."
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 10:36am
That's what I was looking to hear I was concerned that the foot might have the capability of collapsing or moving when the load was applied to it . I just wanted to know and be assured that it is rigid thank you
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 10:00pm
I have the Husky Brute Super Foot. It does not have the automatic action of the Fastaway. I would have preferred to get the Fastaway, but the Husky works well also. I do get concerned that the pull pin might not hold, much as you have concerns about the Fastaway holding. I think both will be okay. I still chock the wheels though, even on level ground.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 5:58am
 Yes, of course the wheel chocks will get used when camping. I was using the example of no chocks to get an idea of how rigid the foot is in a forward/backward state. On a level surface, the tongue tube alone on a block of wood will hold the camper. It is a rigid tube. I wanted to know if the foot had some mechanism for rigidity when it folds down. 

Thanks to all.
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 2:28pm
What I would really like is a way to lock the trailer brakes when parked. The breakaway connector is not a viable option as it would then leave the brakes energized at all times which would neither be good for them nor the battery.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Westgl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 5:19pm
the flip foot is slotted on both sides so it locks into position, once the flip foot moves down far enough in the slot to lock up.

I tested it by pulling a little while still hooked up, it will not flip once jacked up and in that slot. Once you relieve pressure off of the flip foot by raising the jack then it move up the slot and out of the locked position, and presses against a collar that starts the flipping of the flip foot backwards toward the rear of the coach
2010 RAV4 V6
2017 RPOD 179 Hood River Edition
Dual 6 volt Batts
Dual propane Tanks
Batt Disconnect
Bed leg extension
Dinette modification
Renogy 100w solar
Motorcycles several currently
bmc1105 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 7:35pm
Just returned from our first outing in our 2017 R-Pod 172. We recently traded up from the 2009 R-Pod. First time setting the camper up and guess what! I had to completely remove the flip foot in order to get the jack stand firmly set. The hitch assembly was too close to the ground and there was not enough room for the flipjack to turn down and become firmly seated on the ground. Taking the the unit back to the dealer next week to have the hitch reconfigured.    So whether the flapjack locks is a good question, but first you must consider is it even going to be a viable option given the terrain and hitch height.
Brenda
Westgl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 7:42pm
Humm I noticed my flipflop was very tight the first few times I used it until it broke in now it's no problem
something to consider making sure you pick a good flat site may be important
2010 RAV4 V6
2017 RPOD 179 Hood River Edition
Dual 6 volt Batts
Dual propane Tanks
Batt Disconnect
Bed leg extension
Dinette modification
Renogy 100w solar
Motorcycles several currently
Westgl View Drop Down