R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Not Charging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Not Charging
    Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 1:06pm
I called WFCO tech line. Guy said to disconnect the battery then turn on all/most dc loads in camper, while also connected to shore power, then check for dc output from convertor to the battery both at the convertor, with panel cover removed and at the battery itself. Also possible is a dead cell in my battery which I doubt as my charger is designed to detect such issues. The convertor runs in parallel with the battery and puts out enough dc volts to charge the battery while in camper's in use.
Fingers are crossed to avoid buying a new convertor. The warranties are only to the original owner.
I just checked the battery with a load tester and it seems OK but still could have a cell that vibrates apart? The pods convertor does what it's supposed to do at the panel and at the battery connection.
battery is an Exide deep cell one year old.
It's possible that my battery was so discharged that it "made me think" I had another issue or- the dead cell thing...?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 1:36pm
If you do have to buy a new converter, don't buy the WFCO replacement..

Much Better..
NoDak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 8:42pm
Is that a direct fit replacement, or is some surgery needed?

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 9:33am
It's "supposed to be" a direct fit. It isn't what used, but is the same "guts". I had to remove the back of the WFCO box to fit mine, but it was bought for another camper and would have been stand alone in it..
MDPaddlersPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 4:33pm
Can anyone tell me what voltage the converter is supposed to charge to?  On shore power overnight I am getting a battery voltage reading of about 12.5. The battery is less than a year old.
MDPaddlersPod
2017 RPod 179
2002 Silverado1500
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 7:42pm
If the converter is on, you should be seeing 13.5V or so.. If not, the battery could be bad.

The most basic battery test is to charge it fully, disconnect it, let it sit at least 6 hours, then measure it's voltage with a multmeter.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 7:55pm
The converter should put out 13.2-14.4 volts. You don't say but I'm assuming the 12.5V is measured at the battery with the converter plugged in. If true my guess is the reverse polarity fuses in the converter are blown. The converter has two high current fuses to protect the converter from a reversed battery. They will blow if the battery is ever connect backwards even for an instant. You can test the fuses with an ohmmeter or by disconnecting the battery and plugging in the converter. With the battery disconnected a working converter should power the lights and fan. If not, and all the circuit breakers are on, it's probably the reverse polarity fuses. A fully charged battery should read 12.6+ volts with no load.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12