Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Dealer Reviews and Comments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedC & T Trailer, Bozeman, Montana

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: C & T Trailer, Bozeman, Montana
    Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 1:56am
I had the misfortune to have the converter in my one-month-old R-Pod fail while in Yellowstone en route from Maine to Denali.  I had the good fortune to encounter Ken (owner) and Bob (technician) at C & T trailer.  They did not have a converter to replace the failed one, but Bob diagnosed the problem rapidly.  I asked if there were any work-around that would permit us to continue our trip and he said that attaching a battery charger while hooked up to shore power would recharge the battery.  When Ken was making out my invoice (which was beyond reasonable in amount), I commented that I would have to cancel my 3 days of boondocking in Denali, the high point of my trip.  He said people don't get things fixed because they SHOULD be covered under warranty, but, how much had I spent on the Pod to begin with? And how much on the trip so far?  And wouldn't it be worth it to pay for the converter out of pocket to complete the journey as we originally planned?  THANK YOU, KEN!  I saw the light.  We then commenced to look for some place that had a converter and could install it before we reached Denali.  See additional comment about really wonderful Bulletproof Trailer in Fairbanks.
Thanks for all the fish.

R-Pod 180
2006 Ridgeline
2013 Polaris XP850
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 8:04am

Glad to hear of your positive experience with that dealer. I would have told you much the same....go to Walmart and buy a battery charger to use when you have hook ups, jumper cables for when you do not (assuming you are not carrying a generator).

The converter: (1) charges the battery(s) and (2) supplies 12 volt power - when hooked to commercial power (to reduce drain on the battery(s)).

By all means, go on to Denali. I would, if in your position, and would probably wait until I got home to fool with the converter.

Safe/happy travels.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 8:25am
+1  enjoy your trip!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
DaveC3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 8:31am
I have lost two converters in my new 180.  I also lost money by having to leave a prepaid camping site to get the first converter replaced.  The second failed two days later, it took out the battery.  I got a new battery at Interstate batteries, the new battery ran down almost immediately until I pulled the two fuses on  the converter.  As suggested, I bought a battery charger for the remainder of the trip.  We came home two weeks earlier than planned to take it to the dealer we bought the unit from.  During the trip I contacted a couple of dealers but they could not get to it for one to two weeks.

I have been in the service industry for all my working life, I understand that a dealer can not drop everything to take care of your problems.  However, I also do not expect to lose two converters within two months of owning the trailer.  I hope the third will do the trick. RV converters are not new technology, maybe Forest River got a bad batch from their supplier.

We still enjoyed our trip and the R-pod even though it was cut short. 
2016 R-Pod 180
2015 Ford Explorer Limited
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 12:20pm

Sorry to hear of your problems. Converters are not "new" and, in my experience, are pretty reliable. I tend to agree with your suspicion that FR may have received a bad batch from WFCO. Also, WFCO could have received a bad batch of components from their supplier. It's hard to say. Just one little diode (for instance) could be marginal and when it fails, the whole unit doesn't work.

I'll cross my fingers that the third time is the charm for you.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 8:55pm
Maureen I would talk to your dealer about getting reimbursed from FR for the converter you paid for out-of-pocket.  

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
scentralmt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 12:28am
Did you know there was a R Pod dealer in Bozeman, right along the interstate.  Bozeman Ford and RV.  Not sure if they would have helped, but just letting people know there is a dealer in Bozeman.
Curtis
2014 177
2001 F150
Maureen4664 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 1:16am
Thanks for the counsel about seeking reimbursement from Forest River.  I've sent the invoice and receipt for payment to them and will see what happens.  (We couldn't go to the Forest River dealer in Bozeman because it was Memorial Day weekend and they were closed.). And Denali was as wonderful as I hoped.  And the Alcan Highway between Alaska and Whitehorse, Yukon, is absolutely magnificent!
Thanks for all the fish.

R-Pod 180
2006 Ridgeline
2013 Polaris XP850
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 8:15am
Sounds great, do you have some pictures to post?
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply