R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRunning the fridge while driving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running the fridge while driving
    Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:41am
I can speak only for my Nissan Frontier it will not maintain the battery while driving if the fridge is on 12 volts. While I have the same misgivings as some others about running on propane while driving the only restriction I can find in the manual is that the propane must be off while fueling the TV.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
M0tl3y View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 1:24pm
I run it on battery, but check your setup to determine how adequate it'll be.

- I've got one vehicle, with factory tow package wiring, and it doesn't keep up with the load and the trailer battery will eventually die.
- I've got another vehicle, with aftermarket wiring, and it runs the fridge and keeps the battery topped off.

(Both are Toyota, and both have 130A alternators, so it comes down to wiring gauge, as others have stated)

Although propane is safe to travel/tow with, it is illegal to have it running while at the gas station. I've never heard of it being a problem, but understand your risk.
The 178 club
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

As you see, opinions vary to the extremes on both sides. So I'll restate arguments for propane:

1. Propane is absolutely safe while driving. Modern propane bottles have built in safety valves to restrict flow in case of line rupture. The flow will actually be stopped if a rupture occurs.

Not quite sure what you mean here.  We experienced a propane leak (traced to a line)  and the bottle did not stop the flow.  I guess some kind of technology exists that can do this, but I've never seen it.  However, I've used propane for well over 50 years for cooking, heating and refrigeration and feel that it is one of the safest fuels around.  We still use 12V for the fridge when under way
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 8:42am
Originally posted by sailor323

Originally posted by CharlieM

As you see, opinions vary to the extremes on both sides. So I'll restate arguments for propane:

1. Propane is absolutely safe while driving. Modern propane bottles have built in safety valves to restrict flow in case of line rupture. The flow will actually be stopped if a rupture occurs.

Not quite sure what you mean here.  We experienced a propane leak (traced to a line)  and the bottle did not stop the flow.  I guess some kind of technology exists that can do this, but I've never seen it.  However, I've used propane for well over 50 years for cooking, heating and refrigeration and feel that it is one of the safest fuels around.  We still use 12V for the fridge when under way

I agree and could have been more exact. If the leak is small, in the order of a fridge or stove burner, the gas will continue to flow at the low rate. However, if the leak is sudden and catastrophic like in a crash, the flow will be stopped. That's why the flow can sometimes be interrupted if you open a newly filled and reconnected bottle too fast. Doesn't happen every time, but can occur. The main risk with Propane is that it's heavier than air and can puddle in low confined basements. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 4:41pm
Thanks for the clarification, Charlie
Enríquez View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 7:59pm
Dear R-Poders,

Just starting our second season on a 172. Before leaving town on an overnighter, I charged up the battery and left the cord plugged in for a few days. Fridge got nice and cold.

Then we took to the road, and when we got to our destination, battery was almost completely dead. Didn't even make it through the night.

Next day coming home, noticed that even with a two hour trip, the battery didn't charge up at all.

Did I forget to flip a switch or something? Is there something wrong?

Any advice more than welcome.

Enríquez, from Burque (Albuquerque)

Enríquez
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Enríquez

Dear R-Poders,

Just starting our second season on a 172. Before leaving town on an overnighter, I charged up the battery and left the cord plugged in for a few days. Fridge got nice and cold.

Then we took to the road, and when we got to our destination, battery was almost completely dead. Didn't even make it through the night.

Next day coming home, noticed that even with a two hour trip, the battery didn't charge up at all.

Did I forget to flip a switch or something? Is there something wrong?

Any advice more than welcome.

Enríquez, from Burque (Albuquerque)

How many times has the battery been left to go dead? Since you say you "charged up the battery", does it sit, hooked up to the pod, but pod not plugged in when not in use?

Do you know for sure your tow vehicle is sending a charge to the pod?

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 8:53pm
Yup, sounds like either the charge line is sized too small.  True for most factory and aftermarket installations which all use 12 gauge when you need 10 or 8, I've shown the voltage drop numbers here many times.  Or there is no charge line.  It is easy to upsize the line or add one.

But, I always recommend propane on-the-road.

As for filling up at a gas station with the fridge on, it isn't something to worry about.  Gasoline has a narrow flammability range and any fumes that escape are quickly diluted, and as mentioned above it is heavier than air so it hugs the ground while the flame is 2 feet above the ground..  That said, all modern cars and trucks have built-in vapor recovery systems to prevent the fumes from escaping (the gas pump vapor recovery systems are being phased out because of this).  How many gas station explosions do you hear about on the news?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Enríquez View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 8:55pm
Any suggestions on how I check if a charge is being sent in from the tow vehicle?

Thanks for such a quick answer!

Enríquez

Enríquez
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 9:20pm
There are several things you can check with a digital voltmeter. With the engine running and the 7 pin Bargman disconnected, check between pin 4 and pin 1. You should see 13+ volts. The voltage should disappear when you turn off the engine.

Next, with the engine running, the trailer connected and everything in the trailer off including the fridge, measure voltage at the battery terminals. Again you should see 13+ volts. If both these tests pass your TV and TT are wired correctly. Please note that, as Techntrek and others have said, running the fridge on 12VDC while driving is marginal at best and may totally discharge the battery at worst.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>