R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRunning the fridge while driving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running the fridge while driving
    Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 1:38am
Just picked up our 182G and are getting acquainted with it.  I'm curious about running the fridge while driving.  I've heard conflicting things about running the fridge of 12V battery power while driving.  Some say my tow vehicle should be able to keep the R Pod battery charged while it runs the fridge, and others say the fridge will draw faster than my tow vehicle can charge, leading to a dead battery after several hours.  While technically possible, running the fridge on propane while driving doesn't seem to be a good idea and was clearly discouraged from the dealer.  

Any experience with this?  Suggestions?  Besides a big cooler and lots of ice?  

Thanks!  
Alan & Kristi

Brown Family on the Move
R-Pod 182G
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 6:38am

Welcome to the group!

Most every rig you see going down the road is running the fridge on propane. The problem with running the fridge on 12 volts is that the wiring harness going back to the Pod's battery has too small of a conductor and DC drops quickly with distance. The fridge draws more amps than is delivered by the tow vehicle.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 6:42am
Welcome to the group! We run out refrigerator while traveling all the time.We will usually plug it in at home for a day or two before we head out and then run it on the battery between locations.
You just need to keep track of the outside temps. It will definitely effect how well your fridge will maintain temp. If it is really hot out, it can drain your battery fairly quick.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 6:56am

We always run the fridge on 12V when driving.
podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:39am
We always run the fridge on propane when driving.
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:09am
As you see, opinions vary to the extremes on both sides. So I'll restate arguments for propane:

1. Propane is absolutely safe while driving. Modern propane bottles have built in safety valves to restrict flow in case of line rupture. The flow will actually be stopped if a rupture occurs.
  2. Running the fridge on 12V while driving will hog most or all of the charging current available from the towing vehicle (TV). At best the battery charge will only be maintained; at worst the battery will be discharged as you drive.
  3. All refrigerators larger 5 cu ft do not even have a 12V option. They must run on propane while traveling or not at all. This means most of the RVs you see on the road are running the fridge on propane.
I think you'll find most PODers run on propane while driving, switching to 120V when shore power is available.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:11am
I was originally of the school of just running the reefer on electric while traveling, as in the past running on propane was considered dangerous.  However, I have been won over with traveling with the reefer running on propane.  I don't recall ever seeing a news article describing any disasters from traveling with the reefer running on propane.  Have been camping with our Pod since 2013 and delighted with it.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
alansbrown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:27am
Thanks to everyone for all the quick replies and thoughtful perspectives.  And for making us feel welcome in the forum.  I'm relieved that running on propane while driving isn't nearly scary as my dealer tried to make it out to be.   I get their caution (an overly sensitive world of ever-evolving liability) but the arguments you all laid out make sense.  Thanks again for the thoughtful replies!

Brown Family on the Move
R-Pod 182G
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
BuckeyePod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:32am
Originally posted by alansbrown

Thanks to everyone for all the quick replies and thoughtful perspectives.  And for making us feel welcome in the forum.  I'm relieved that running on propane while driving isn't nearly scary as my dealer tried to make it out to be.   I get their caution (an overly sensitive world of ever-evolving liability) but the arguments you all laid out make sense.  Thanks again for the thoughtful replies!

Safe while driving and recommended over 12V, however, always a good idea to shut it off if pulling in to fuel up at gas station and turning back on before hitting the road.  
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:40am
We are "ambicoolers". Have gone both ways over the years.. Our tv does send about 30A to the trailer.

Running on 12v in scorching temps, 7 hour pull to a pod rally, arrived with fridge at 36F, battery fully charged. So know ours will do fine on 12v. Our Airstream doesn't have a 12v option, like nearly all rigs out there, so it runs propane. As pointed out before.. you can either believe all those bigger TT's are running down the road with warm beer and spoiled bacon... or that running on propane just isn't as dangerous as some would claim. Most bigger class C's and A's run the fridge on 120v and just run the genny. 95% of the hours on my dads on-board are traveling, not camping.. and even then, he only runs in 120v if he thinks propane availability or supply might be an issue.

As a side note, our little fridge's use very little propane. If that was all you had running/using, no one would call you a liar if you said it ran 6 to 8 weeks on one 20 pounder.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>