R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDrain bleach water

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drain bleach water
    Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 2:59pm
Another newbie question. After you sanitize your freshwater tank- where do you drain it?  I don't want to just drain it down my gutter. I was thinking I could go to some rv dump site, but are they just setup for the big waste hoses?  I want to just pull the drain plug on the bottom of the tank.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 3:05pm
You could get a funnel and a piece of garden hose. Cut off one end of the hose and insert the funnel into it. Then just drape the hose into the dump hole and pull the plug with the funnel underneath. Store the hose and funnel with your sewer hose if there's room. The hose assembly never touches the drain, so there are no issues with microbes getting back into your fresh water tank.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 3:18pm
Assuming you used the normal 0.5-1.0 cup of bleach to a tankful there should be no problem draining it almost anywhere, including the street gutter. If you dump it on a paved driveway apron just wash it down afterwards to prevent bleaching of the drive. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 6:33pm
i drain mine right on my grass, have never killed it in fact its the greenest i have!!!!   hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 6:54pm
I would be surprised to learn that the proper concentration of the POD sanitation ratios is higher than most pools that drain into a residential system. I'm not saying to wrongs make a right, I just don't believe that at the highly diluted ratio of 1.2 cup to 36 gallons of water is an environmental concern. I way pull the plug and let it fly!  
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
DennisTx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 7:17pm
Light, heat and organic matter accelerate the rate of decomposition of sodium hypochlorite. Take from the MSDS, "Biodegradation (In water): Reacts rapidly with organic matter, e.g. sewage, soil, leading to ultimate reduction to chloride. Photodegradation (In air) : In water, under photolysis, sodium hypochlorite with concentration of13-18 mg/L, has a half-life of 12 min. at pH =8 . This increases up to 60 min. with pH decreasing."  Long story short, if the bleach has done its job then it should already be partially degraded in the tank. Once it hits the air, and more importantly sun light, it will break down pretty quickly.

2011 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
2016 R-180
PodDude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 8:26pm
Thanks guys - I live on the river so I'm sensitive to this kind of thing.
PodDude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 12:04am
Wow I decided to include my hot water heater tank in the sanitation process. I then ran each faucet 2 minutes and the shower head about 1 minute. After all that the freshwater tank was p well empty, gauge on the last bar. So I kind of feel like I'm sanitizing my grey water tank rather than fresh!I topped the fresh off anyways. I guess I could add bleach to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply