R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReading Light Wiring Installation???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reading Light Wiring Installation???
    Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 10:35am
On a 177 pod---I'm considering install of 12v LED reading lights above bed pillows on our main bed.
Lots of fixture choices out there but needs to be something that doesn't make for a head banger situation!
Also needs to be soft light that is for reading only-unlike the bright LED's in our 2016 Pod.

I know how to do the work from a skilled trade basis, but what I don't know is the best way to run the wiring in a Pod? I suppose one route is up through from the floor and then you'd have the wires exposed to view above the bedding. Has someone done this job?
FWIW, yes, I did search...
Thanks in advance.
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 10:38am
Cheaper, easier choice might be clip-on LED lites sold in book stores, e.g., MightyBright.com.

Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 11:24am
Right, bring it in from the rear corner, lots of 12v power options to tap there. If you have the zamp wire tap those cuz they run straight to the battery. If you bring wire in from the corner you can conceal it pretty well by running up the seam where the roof meets the wall. Keep the wire size as small as allowable and consider using shrink tubing over the wire to match the interior better. Some electronic stores carry 36" or 48" lengths of various sizes and colors. Better yet, if you can get some twin lead, (cuz you are going to need a ground as well) with a nice off white or beige cover, that would be even better. Good luck Sir!

P.S. Try not to tap power feed that run to control boards and stuff like that...never really know how that may affect an appliance.  

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 3:12pm
I bought some cheapo LED battery lights(in shop lights at wally) that I'll use before I actually run any wire or mount a light. I'm now leaning toward continued use of my Wally world LED headlamp-it runs a long time and handy to have on tow vehicle anyway. 
TigerPawd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 8:03pm
We have used peel and stick "hocky puck" LEDs.  You can get them at BB & Beyond or Wally World.  I installed ours at dusk to be sure they would shine on our reading material.

Just be sure to change the batteries (2xAA) yearly to keep from getting a corrosion problem.  Sitting in the sun for an extended period can take a toll.

Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 9:54pm
There already is 12v up there to power the rear ceiling light and the antenna amplifier. I tapped into that line.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:46am
My cheapo LED's are magnet or they have a hook on the end that folds into the case, not pucks as they are sold as shop lights at wally world. I think they were $2.38 each. They can hang on something around the window that's already therein some fashion. Whats good about the headlamp solution is your bed buddy can go to sleep w/o bother from the late reader.
 Post Reply Post Reply