R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHitch popped off ball!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitch popped off ball!
    Posted: 30 May 2016 at 11:53am
So we are just leaving the beach yesterday and merging onto the highway, when we hit a dip at the expansion joint the hitch popped right off the ball. I know the hitch was engaged, and there was a lock through the hitch lever. This is not me making some noob mistake, I am and engineer who has designed all manner of machines. I know the whole thing was engaged properly, because I have been showing my wife how to connect the basic hitch - in the event she needs to move it around while I am on a business trip etc. On this trip we did the connect both times, and double checked each others work - the hitch was engaged for sure. Before going on the highway we hit all kinds of bumps on the backroads, it would have popped off long before if the hitch was not engaged. The only thing I can assume is the adjustment bolt loosened up after less than 300 miles, or was never adjusted right in the first place. My buddy tows his snowmobiles and said he has seen it happen more than once out on the highway during peak season, now I know to test the hitch connection by jacking it up higher than the truck sits.Confused
Rodpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 11:55am
I'm assuming you are using a 2" ball?

2016 R-Pod 179
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 12:08pm
Yes. I know this for sure, because the size is printed on top of the ball. Like I said I am an engineer who has designed textiles machinery the size of a small house, as well as robotics refined enough to handle delicate silicon wafers. I am 47 and by the time I was 13 could do all my own work on my 80cc bike, and had a rollaway full of tools. I am not a person who makes mistakes when it comes to mechanical things. I can say with 100% certainty this thing was hooked up right. The only thing that makes sense is the adjustment issue. When the downpour stops, I am going to jack it up to see if it pops out.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 2:24pm
Scary! I will go and check ours as well. I always raise the hitch when connected in order to get the Equal-i-zer bars in place. I would think that it would pop out then if it were not engaging properly.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 2:35pm
Another argument for using an Equalizer/E2 type WDH. It not only tests the ball engagement, but also exerts a force to keep it engaged while travelling. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 2:36pm
The irony is that I blew off installing the WDH, it would have been the initial setup and time consuming. I was only doing ~90 miles each way and my Tahoe is a beast, I had to prioritize time for other things (plus I live on one of the tallest hills in the eastern half of MA, I need to drive about 10 miles to find a large level parking lot). Oof, had I set it up this would probably not have happened...6,000 WDH spring pressing down would have kept the 2,500 trailer from popping off. The old adage is true, you do truly learn something new every day...just not usually by dropping a fiberglass missile onto the highway!

edit: AMEN Charlie, AMEN! I advise all noobs get a WDH similar to the E2. Money well spent, I am certain the WDH would have save my arse in this situation. I have nerves of steel, but having that damn thing thing pop off on the highway left me more "rattled" than I have been in decades...seriously, 24 hours later and it gives me the shivers when it suddenly pops into mind.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 2:43pm
Did the chains catch it, or did the hitch hit the road? What happened to your R-Pod? I was always taught to cross the chains underneath to catch the hitch if something like this should happen.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 2:57pm
The chains did their job, and saved the pod! I remembered to cross them when hooking up, it seemed to reduce the sway. The tip of the tongue never touched the ground, because the flip foot is a BEAST. It hit the ground at highway speed, and got dragged for at least several hundred feet until I could pull over. It was flipped up, so it literally gouged the pavement like and ice cream scoop. It is battered and bruised, scraped to hell and a bit warped...but the foot is working just fine...build that stuff like it is meant for war...'Murica!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 3:01pm
WOW! I'm glad it ended up being okay. To be safe, I would think it prudent to replace the foot. 
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 3:06pm
That is the plan, get a new foot on before the next trip. Plus, I won't need a blowtorch to remove the pavement which is permanently fused inside of it...right now the pod is "leveled" with the stuff in there...until the next hot day when it sags!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>