Topic ClosedGlad I took 2 spares

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glad I took 2 spares
    Posted: 25 May 2016 at 9:25pm
I keep forgetting to mention my adventure this past weekend.  We drove to Ocean City, MD for a Girl Scout campout, and ended up with a blowout on the way down.  Wouldn't have known but someone flagged us over.  I started changing it on a side road and within a few minutes a local cop showed up.  Apparently an accident occurred just behind us and they thought we were somehow involved.  Nothing came off of the tire so I don't think there was any relationship, unless we hit some debris which took out the tire and got kicked up in the air.  I can only hope not.  Took longer than it should have to get it done since I had to jack it up a few times getting blocks set right, but I had all the tools and my girls helped.  Yes, I checked all of the tire pressures and lug nut torque before we left, I do every time.

Fast forward to the way home.  Lots of rain so lots of traffic backups.  Older daughter had a migraine so we had to stop 3 times so she could yak.  Also stopped for lunch.  And a 2nd blowout.  Same side, it probably was weakened when the first one blew, or the possible debris came into play, who knows.  Again we wouldn't have known but someone flagged us over.  A few minutes in - here come the state troopers.  Nothing bad this time, just a welfare check.  Although I felt a bit offended because while I was under the camper getting the 2nd spare off they asked my wife and girls if they felt safe.  We can only assume it is SOP to ensure I wasn't holding them hostage, or something.  Anyway this change went faster since I had some practice 2 days earlier, yay.  Made it the rest of the way home ok.  4 hour trip ended up at 7 hours with everything happening on the way home.  And yes, I checked everything before we left OC, AND we had just made a stop 5 miles earlier and I did my usual rounds kicking tires before we got on the road again.  Both times I can only assume the tires were normal until they suddenly weren't.

Took it to my local mechanic on Tuesday for 4 new shiny rubber boots.  I knew the tires didn't look great before we left but I figured I had time to wait until after this trip.  My bad.  What really irks me is the tires weren't that old and had less than 10,000 miles on them, but the tread was badly worn after a trip last summer.  The tires on our pod wore much better.  Heck, the tires that came with this camper wore better, I only replaced them because they were at the 6-year mark.  My wife took pics of the tires so I'll have to post them later.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by techntrek

...they asked my wife and girls if they felt safe.  We can only assume it is SOP to ensure I wasn't holding them hostage, or something...

So the cop was obviously a forum member who knew you, huh? Star

Ok, so what sneakers did you have on that thing?

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 7:35am

Yes, it was good that you took 2 spares! Please pass along the brand of the crummy tires, as it would be good info. I know that you keep a close eye on your tires, as do I so, I'm blaming the tires.

In regards to the LEO, I would not take it personal. Being stopped on the side of the road/highway is NOT safe, even when you have flashing lights on top of your car! (lots of video on You Tube) Typically, when I was in that position, I would ask the party(s) something to the effect - if they had things under control and would they be OK if I left and continued with my patrol (did they need any assistance from me - have dispatch call a wrecker, AAA, etc.). You may have been busy struggling with the tire so, he asked the others. In my neck of the woods, assisting disabled motorists was neither required or forbidden (just a "goodwill" thing, as long as they were not in the traveled portion of the roadway - a hazard) so, there was no SOP.
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 11:08am
Your saga reminded me to review my tires.  We have a 2013 171, amd I incorrectly assumed the tires were probably manufactured the previous year. Lo and behold the manufacture date was the 50th week in 2010.  Overdue for replacement.  They have about 10K miles on them and still look good. but your story has prompted me to have them replaced immediatley.  I would suggest that all who have an older Rpod, check the manufacturing date and replace them if they are 5 years old or older.  Also, have the spare replaced and have all the tires balanced prior to installation.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 11:35am
Just did some armchair shopping and spoke with my local Discount Tire store.  They suggested a Lauffen tire made by Han Kook.  A 6 ply 235/78R15 MS, will cost $328. for three tires installed.  Before I purchase them I would ask if anyone had any experience with these tires, or could recommend another brand.  I have always preferred Michelin, however for a light duty trailer, three tires would run over $400.  Seemed a little extreme.  Any other suggestions, recommendations, etc.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 12:36pm
We purchased Maxxis 8008 and have had good experiences with them for the last 3 years. they hold air and don't leak. I have seen no apparent cracking, tread delamination or bulging.  As I recall, they cost about $115 per tire before balancing and mounting.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
ChooChoo54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 1:47pm
Hi Camper Bob,
Interesting that the Michelin products sell for a higher price than the Laufenn products. Not a surprise to me. Seriously, does it make sense that and entry level product offered as a budget tire by a multinational maker of tires is a fair comparison, dollar for dollar, with a high end, technically advanced, premium tire brand? I see the comparison of the acquisition cost, ($328 vs $400), as a bargain if you can get Michelins for only $72 more. To me, it's a $72 decision, not a $400 decision.

For the life a trailer tire experiences, and the importance of each tire on a two wheel trailer, it would seem the premium product is the better choice. Not all tires are created equal. They are not all just round,black, and rubbery. Stop for a moment and ask yourself, "what is the best tool for the job?" The Discount tire people are among the best in the business, but if I had one of their guys tell me the Laufenn tire is a better tire for all the things a trailer wants, I'd call him on it. Simply not valid thinking.

Please don't take offense at my thoughts. I have a passion for tires, and like a lot of older guys, I don't lack an opinion. What I seem to lack is the ability to keep it to myself!
BB
"Life Is A One Lap Race!"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 6:27pm
Thanks for your input.  I share your thoughts on premium products.  Hence, all of my vehicles for the last 50 years have been equipped with Michelins.  Best decision I have made.  My thinking is as follows,  with a light duty vehicle, getting minimal mileage each year, my thought was a lower priced tire would suffice.  If it was our tow vehicle, certainly another story.  My families life depends on them.  Although certainly priced at a premium, for me, the decisiion is a no brainer.  I have recommended to my sons to replace their tires with Michelins.  That is my story and I'm sticking to it.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 9:20pm
fwunder - HA!

David - yeah, I shouldn't take it badly, but add in a too-long trip, traffic and stress and it didn't sit well at the time.  I was happy they stopped.

Both - ok, I'll have to check later on the new brand but they definitely LOOK a lot better than the ones I had before (as good as the ones that came on my pod).  About $350 for four mounted and balanced including tax.  As for the !@#$ @#% #$^ tires that detonated they were Taskmaster.  Never again!  One difference I look forward to, is the new tires are radials where the originals and the Taskmasters were bias.  I'm hoping for improved ride comfort like the pod.

Camper Bob - my pod's tires were at the 5 year mark and somewhere near 20,000 miles but still looked good.  A little wear on the inside tread but I would have only ended up replacing them due to age and not wear.

My TV will be up for new tires next year.  Not looking forward to that bill, probably north of $700 in the end.  I will be sticking with the Goodyear ATS that came with it, I've been very happy with their performance although they are a bit loud.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 9:28pm
Ouch!! One of the brands mentioned by Discount Tire were Goodyears.  Might take a look at those also.  That being said, isn't your new trailer a bit heavier and one or two axles?  Looks are certainly deceiving.  Mine look like new, however,  but they have gone past their expiration date.  I did ask if I would get any credit for my spare which has never been on the road.  His response was, " if they are the same date as the ones on the axles, they would just dispose of it."  I wonder how many of us Podders are aware of these concerns.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>