R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp Installing 12 Volt Outlets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Installing 12 Volt Outlets
    Posted: 22 May 2016 at 11:57pm
All:

Twelve volt electrical newbie here.  I need to install some outlets in the 176.  I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.  These will mainly be used for charging cell phones and other such devices (which also makes me wonder whether I need to change out fuses for higher amps).  There are three areas that I would like to place them.  I do have dual batteries.

One is right next to the bunks, which I believe I have figured out since the converter is right there.  I plan to run new positive wiring straight into one of the unused slots, and the ground to the grounding block screwed to the floor.  Probably use a 15 amp fuse.  Sound about right?

The other two are the ones I need more assistance with as I have read to just use existing wiring.  Which wires do I need to tap into, and how?  I am planning to use Scotch Locks unless there is another way.  I have attached pictures and would appreciate someone telling me which wires to tap into.

Near the tv.  On the 176, this is the wall on the left as you enter the trailer.  Trying to tap into the antenna power for an inverter.  Would it be the two wires with the capped connectors?  The one in front of my hand and the other connected to the blue wire in the background?

And in the rear of the trailer, on the right as you face the back.  This is where the heater and hot water are located.  Too much for a novice like me to figure out.  Which wires do I tap into?

I have more pictures if necessary.

And any other input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  This forum has been a lifesaver.

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 7:40am
IMO your best bet is to run new wiring to all new outlets, especially if you plan to power higher current devices like an inverter. Using existing wiring is OK for cell phone chargers, but inverters and computers should be connected to an unused fuse slot, even if it means drilling a hole here and there. Don't be afraid to drill through the floor and run under the trailer. Use wire loom and cable clamps underneath and caulk the holes around the wire, but be careful to miss the water tanks. Use #12AWG wire and a 15A fuse.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 8:28am
As Charlie suggests, I think it's best to run new wires. Here's a thread describing how I added a couple of my four outlets. Hope it helps!

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4680&KW=breaker&title=more-wiring-options

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply