FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOur New Pod 180 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our New Pod 180 2017
    Posted: 22 May 2016 at 12:58pm
Howdy folks,

Drove to Amarillo yesterday and picked up our new R-Pod Model 180 (2017). We purchased from Custom RV at Exit 76 on I-40. What a great experience dealing with these fine people. The service technician took 3 hours on the walk thru to go over everything with us. So much to ingest my head is still swimming. lol.  So excited to have it now and cannot wait to head to Yellowstone in 2 weeks, for a 3 week trip. I went ahead and had a stabilizer bar added in case of sway. I do have a couple of questions since I'm towing with a 2013 Tahoe.

1. I notice the RPM has increased to around 3000rpm when towing the R-Pod. I am guessing this is due to the weight of the Pod??

2. It came with a 20lb gas bottle, do you think we should have another mounted?

3. I noticed my gas mileage dropped off quite a bit, but driving back to Lubbock we had 30mph head wind all the way. But hey with gas prices so cheap right now not to worried about that.

4. I still don't fully understand the gas hot water heater, on knowing when it is full?

any help with my questions would be appreciated, and or any other advice on towing and setting up. Thank you folks. Bill
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 3:05pm
FWIW, a few answers to you questions:

1. The increased RPM is due to your engine working harder. Some is due to weight, but the majority is due to wind resistance. Pulling any camping trailer is like pulling a parachute.
  2. A second gas bottle depends on you usage. A single gas bottle will last a long time, especially if you are not using the gas heater much. The advantage of a second bottle is it allows using an automatic change over regulator. With that you'll never run out of gas without warning.
  3. Gas mileage. See #1.
  4. Turn on a hot water faucet and wait until it runs steadily without sputtering. It is now full.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 4:28pm

Congratulations on your new Pod!

+1 on everything Charlie wrote.

I believe your Tahoe has the same engine/transmission as my Silverado - 5.3L V8, 6 speed transmission. 3K RPMs sounds a little high. Do you have and use "Tow/Haul" mode? Also, do you know your rear axle ratio (mine is 3:42). Expect about 11-12mpg (+ or -) when towing.

The second propane tank is nice. Although one usually last me for most of the season, when it does run out, I just switch to the other. I never run out and I can refill the first at my convenience.

Enjoy Yellowstone!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 4:37pm
Congrats on your new 180! Enjoy!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179