R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing with BMW X3 of X5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with BMW X3 of X5
    Posted: 22 May 2016 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Jewel59

I plan on stopping by the BMW dealer and hopefully find out what I need to know.  Keep in mind the head service manager told me over the phone my braking would work......interesting situation.

After I had signed the purchase agreement my Toyota service manager assured me the TRD supercharger would be available for the 2104 Tacoma. His parts guy said it wasn't. That was a deal breaker and I stopped  the deal. They found a 2013. Bottom line, Toyota dropped the supercharger that year and never did offer it. I would ask for better documented proof than his opinion. Ask him to demonstrate the visual indication the trailer brakes are being engaged. Ask him to demonstrate the manual braking capability. Without a manual capability it's extremely difficult to set the brakes and to determine they are even working. Manual control is also essential if you get into an extreme sway situation. Automation can only go so far. Seek a second opinion.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 6:38pm
Another question to ask is "Is it a true proportional controller where the trailer brake signal is proportional to deceleration?" Reading Bimmerfest makes me wonder. At one time it was just a pulsed signal.

BTW, I saw your query on Bimmerfest. A good place to start.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 7:10pm
The one thing I do know is the BMW dynamic traction system compensates for trailer sway.  From what I've read on this, it seems to do a very good job.  I just dug into the box that the hitch and ball were in.  There is a one page sheet.  One this sheet two things jump out:

1.  Do not use weight distribution equipment
2.  BMW North America does not supply an approved electrical brake controller.  BMW recommends that you only use parts that have been tested and approved by BMW.

OK number two is ridiculous.  I need answers needless to say.  I have a garage full of supplies for my R-pod.  I want it home!  I've always been one to like learning something new, guess I sure am.  
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 7:23pm
Controlling trailer sway from the vehicle is iffy. I know newer vehicles claim to do this, but the jury is still out. On the WDH prohibition, that's probably due to unibody construction. I had the same issue with the 2010 Pilot. I used an E2 WDH with no problem and great improvement in the ride.

The BMW brake controller statement is consistent with other posts on Bimmerfest. I hope folks on that forum can shed light for you. I would also call etrailer.com and ask their experience. I see no reason why you can't use the Prodigy P3, but you might have to hard wire it in. Most cars/trucks since early 2000s have a brake control connector as part of the factory harness. Just plug and play if you can find it. Etrailer should be able to help.

I hope you are realizing the wonderful resource forums like Bimmerfest and this one can be. There's lots of chaff to sort through, but it's well worth it. Cool
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Controlling trailer sway from the vehicle is iffy. I know newer vehicles claim to do this, but the jury is still out. On the WDH prohibition, that's probably due to unibody construction. I had the same issue with the 2010 Pilot. I used an E2 WDH with no problem and great improvement in the ride.

The BMW brake controller statement is consistent with other posts on Bimmerfest. I hope folks on that forum can shed light for you. I would also call etrailer.com and ask their experience. I see no reason why you can't use the Prodigy P3, but you might have to hard wire it in. Most cars/trucks since early 2000s have a brake control connector as part of the factory harness. Just plug and play if you can find it. Etrailer should be able to help.

I hope you are realizing the wonderful resource forums like Bimmerfest and this one can be. There's lots of chaff to sort through, but it's well worth it. Cool

If I have to add a controller I'm pretty sure I'm going the route of the RF prodigy.  I'd rather not have the unit affixed to my dash and the ease of installation and not getting entangled with anything electrical in a BMW is likely good.  Costs more, but I like the ease of installation.  
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 7:34pm
....my hopes are being dashed of taking my r-pod to show next weekend )-:
Hunter Kirk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 7:48pm
So I had a similar situation with my previous TV. I had a BMW X1, yes an X1, when I went to pick up my pod the first time the brake controller would not work, I was using the Prodigy wireless controller. After 2 weeks and countless visits back to the R-Pod dealer, consulting with VW of America and Tekonsha it was determined that the wire harness that was on the BMW that we tapped into was incorrect. We installed a different harness and everything worked like a charm.

I would not tow without the WDH, I would not trust the BMW system to compensate for the sway. I would go with the Prodigy, it will solve all your problems.

As for the towing capacity, the BMW x1 that I had was not even rated to tow here in the states, however the European one was, same frame, same engine, same transmission, but it has 4500 pounds towing capacity and up to 6k with WDH. Yea surprise there. Let me tell you the looks I was getting from people on my way up to Alaska in the middle of April in a BMW X1 towing an R-Pod. Priceless, but I never had any problems and the X1 towed like a champ, never had any issues with power.

I have since upgraded to a VW Touareg.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 7:49pm
I certainly emphasize with you. Angry Trailer fever is strong stuff.  Many folks have had good luck with the Prodigy RF unit, but I think it requires certain signals be available on the rear 7 pin connector. Again I would discuss with Etrailer and Tekonsha if you can reach them. Keep us informed as you progress Smile .
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Hunter Kirk

So I had a similar situation with my previous TV. I had a BMW X1, yes an X1, when I went to pick up my pod the first time the brake controller would not work, I was using the Prodigy wireless controller. After 2 weeks and countless visits back to the R-Pod dealer, consulting with VW of America and Tekonsha it was determined that the wire harness that was on the BMW that we tapped into was incorrect. We installed a different harness and everything worked like a charm.

I would not tow without the WDH, I would not trust the BMW system to compensate for the sway. I would go with the Prodigy, it will solve all your problems.

As for the towing capacity, the BMW x1 that I had was not even rated to tow here in the states, however the European one was, same frame, same engine, same transmission, but it has 4500 pounds towing capacity and up to 6k with WDH. Yea surprise there. Let me tell you the looks I was getting from people on my way up to Alaska in the middle of April in a BMW X1 towing an R-Pod. Priceless, but I never had any problems and the X1 towed like a champ, never had any issues with power.

I have since upgraded to a VW Touareg.

Wow, I upgraded from the X1 to the X3.  My husband now has the X1 😀  I didn't think it could tow a thing.  The X3 is rated to 3,500 pounds.  Glad the X1 worked.  Did you have trouble pairing the RF controller?  I've read that can be an issue with German cars.  
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Jewel59

Originally posted by CharlieM

I don't own a BMW, but I'd be surprised the I-Drive would control trailer braking. It appears to be entertainment, navigation, and communication. Your answer will have to come from the auto side, not the camper side, of the hitch. Either BMW or someone like etrailer.com. I would not expect the RPOD dealer to know the specifics of BMW. I would like, but not expect, the dealer to admit "I don't know".

I plan on stopping by the BMW dealer and hopefully find out what I need to know.  Keep in mind the head service manager told me over the phone my braking would work......interesting situation.

I stopped by BMW today.  The x3 has been reprogrammed to handle the dynamics of towing.  It does not have any type of control that will engage the electronic brakes of the trailer.  BMW says if I am towing within the limit the car will successfully stop the car and trailer and compensate for sway.  According to BMW I do not need an additional brake controller but I could add one if I want more security.  Most people add hitches but don't reprogram a car to respond to the dynamics of towing.  They said go for an RF brake control as messing with the wiring of a BMW is potentially problematic (if I add one).  The RPOD guy is now calling my service guy at BMW to see what he can discern.  In the mean time I'm having the RF prodigy overnighted.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>