R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing with BMW X3 of X5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with BMW X3 of X5
    Posted: 22 May 2016 at 8:22am
i pick up my Rpod on Monday.  I have a 2015 BMW X3.  BMW installed the OEM transport system.  It's a slick design and when the system is not in use its nearly invisible.  Is anyone else towing with this system.  I am told the seven pin as a controller is wired and will recognize the trailer brakes when the trailer is plugged in.  The car was reprogrammed so when I brake the car I will brake the trailer.  In addition the dynamic traction control will compensate for any sway of the trailer and the back up cam now has a handy feature that guides lining up the SUV to the trailer for hitching.  So all this "sounds" terrific but I haven't been able to hook something up.  When I read about traditional brake controllers they are in the car.  BMW tells me this system is integrated and programmed into the car.  Reprogramming the car the was two hour process.  I have this horrible fear I will show up to get my Rpod and something will have gone wrong.  Has anyone used this system?  I did get all this information from the head BMW service manager.  Is it really possible all this is "integrated" and I plug in the trailer an go?  I'm hoping this is the case. BMWsare smart cars and the cost was $1600Embarrassed.  Couldn't find anyone else to do the work who would touch it.  
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 8:51am
I've never heard of this system. The only way I could see that the X3 could proportionally control the trailer brakes is by using accelerometer sensors already int he vehicle for the stability control system to use. Could they have coded the ECU to detect the accelerometer readings and how would the control the varying electrical signal to the trailer brakes? Sounds sketchy. I would get proof before trying to tow the R-Pod. If it doesn't active your trailer brakes at all, you will really put some wear on the X3 brakes. Not safe.

What is the max tow rating for the X3? Max tongue weight limit?  I assume a V6 engine?

EDIT: Found 3000 pounds tow limit for the AWD version?

Thinking about it, if there is no trailer brake controller, what will control the trailer brake signal?? This sounds odd. I've seen 1650 lbs being the max trailer weight for un-braked trailers on many vehicles. Over 1650 lbs should have it's own braking system controller by a brake controller tied into the tow vehicle braking system.

Try www.bimmerfest.com forum to learn about your X3 capabilities, they will have more info than the R-Pod forum Good Luck.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 9:48am
It has been very difficult to find answers.  I basically got the same information from the parts guy when I ordered the parts, my service advisor when I took the car in for the installation and the top service manager when I called yesterday (fearful this might not be everything I need).  I will check bimmerfest.  It has been very difficult to find anything online.  I will have an absolute "fit" with BMW if I am hung out to dry tomorrow.  Reprogramming the "brain" of the car accomplishes brake control.  I don't know enough to know how.  Car tows 3,500 pounds.
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 10:34am
"Reprogramming the "brain" of the car accomplishes brake control"

I believe that may be an incorrect statement.
I surmise it simply alters brake bias and traction control in your vehicle for better drivability if you are towing a light trailer with surge (not electric) brakes.

Found this post from another X3 owner on a different board:

2016 X3 Xdrive 28i with dealer installed tow package
For those of you thinking about towing a trailer with your X3, I just picked mine up from the dealer with the BMW tow package installed...It was $2000.00, out the door. Im towing a 6X10 utility trailer loaded with band equipment. The X3 has no issues pulling the trailer. The hitch is barely visible and looks completely stock. It comes with a removable arm that connects to the hitch receiver in seconds and it comes with a pair of keys to lock it to deter theft. In accepts both 7 pin round and 4 pin flat trailer light plugs. The plug hardware looks factory too. When a trailer is plugged in the BMW detects it and alters brake bias and traction control for better drivability . The back up alarm is disabled but the rear camera still operates and also gives you a trailer hitch view so you can back your X3 up to the trailer without someone guiding you or having to get out and look...there are red and green lines superimposed on the camera screen to assist you with a perfect hook up...

My suggestion(s):
1. Buy and install a brake controller such as the prodigy: https://www.etrailer.com/bc-2015_BMW_X3.htm. They have lots of information on installing.
My Pathfinder came with factory installed tow package, and I still had to install a controller.
2. My understanding is that there may be two different oil cooler types depending on the region where the car is sold. One with an auxiliary radiator, and one that is cooled by an oil/water heat exchanger.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829777
Not sure what the limitation is of not having an auxiliary radiator is, but they usually aid in cooling the transmission better when towing up mountainous terrain. If you are towing on flat highways this may not be an issue at all.
3. You did not mention which Rpod model you were purchasing. If it is one of the smaller models (171/172), you may be OK, but I would still recommend a Weight Distribution Hitch, and travel light (including fresh water tank empty).

Hope this helps, and someone please chime in if I have misstated anything on this post.
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 11:06am
Originally posted by johnmaci

"Reprogramming the "brain" of the car accomplishes brake control"

I believe that may be an incorrect statement.
I surmise it simply alters brake bias and traction control in your vehicle for better drivability if you are towing a light trailer with surge (not electric) brakes.

Found this post from another X3 owner on a different board:

2016 X3 Xdrive 28i with dealer installed tow package
For those of you thinking about towing a trailer with your X3, I just picked mine up from the dealer with the BMW tow package installed...It was $2000.00, out the door. Im towing a 6X10 utility trailer loaded with band equipment. The X3 has no issues pulling the trailer. The hitch is barely visible and looks completely stock. It comes with a removable arm that connects to the hitch receiver in seconds and it comes with a pair of keys to lock it to deter theft. In accepts both 7 pin round and 4 pin flat trailer light plugs. The plug hardware looks factory too. When a trailer is plugged in the BMW detects it and alters brake bias and traction control for better drivability . The back up alarm is disabled but the rear camera still operates and also gives you a trailer hitch view so you can back your X3 up to the trailer without someone guiding you or having to get out and look...there are red and green lines superimposed on the camera screen to assist you with a perfect hook up...

My suggestion(s):
1. Buy and install a brake controller such as the prodigy: https://www.etrailer.com/bc-2015_BMW_X3.htm. They have lots of information on installing.
My Pathfinder came with factory installed tow package, and I still had to install a controller.
2. My understanding is that there may be two different oil cooler types depending on the region where the car is sold. One with an auxiliary radiator, and one that is cooled by an oil/water heat exchanger.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829777
Not sure what the limitation is of not having an auxiliary radiator is, but they usually aid in cooling the transmission better when towing up mountainous terrain. If you are towing on flat highways this may not be an issue at all.
3. You did not mention which Rpod model you were purchasing. If it is one of the smaller models (171/172), you may be OK, but I would still recommend a Weight Distribution Hitch, and travel light (including fresh water tank empty).

Hope this helps, and someone please chime in if I have misstated anything on this post.

I'm very nervous about tomorrow now. I bought a 180.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 11:42am
I too am a skeptic. Any control of the trailer brakes should have some indication of the trailer brake activation and a means of applying the trailer brakes manually. Add on brake controllers such as the Tekonsha Prodigy series provide a display of operation and a lever to apply the trailer brakes. I would demand some positive proof that the trailer brakes are actually being controlled by the X3. This will be difficult or impossible from a dealer and I'm not sure how I would be satisfied. Some printed claim in factory documentation or an owners manual specifically mentioning electric trailer brakes might do it, but not a salesman's claim. Lacking that you might have to add a brake controller. You do not want to find out the hard way there is no control of the trailer brakes. A call to etrailer.com might help. They have a lot of experience/expertise in towing and might tell you whether you need the external controller and harness. I also agree with johnmaci that you will want a WDH. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 11:44am
Your Rpod salesperson did a poor job of working with you to ensure you were able and ready.
1. I would hold off on picking it up tomorrow unless they have brake controllers in stock, and can properly connect one to your vehicle.
2. They should also have, and be able to setup a weigh distribution hitch (WDH) for you while you are there (should only take an hour or so). A WDH is not a pre-requisite, but makes handing much better IMHO.
3. They must walk you through setup, use, and takedown several times until you are confident. Take videos of their steps for future reference.
My salesperson drove with me as a passenger while he adjusted my brake controller explaining each step, then allowed me to do the same while he watched. Same for connecting and disconnecting the WDH.
4. If you have the time, I would book a local campground and practice backing in (parking), and setup/takedown while near the dealership. I did that when I drove from MD to Ohio and ensure it all worked as advertised.
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 1:07pm
My last thought is that it is possible that once a trailer is hitched, I can control braking though the I drive system.  That would totally make sense since much of the vehicle is controlled through I-drive.  I'm losing hope.  LOL.  Dealer is fairly close so I guess I can drive there and come home, leaving the r-pod if I have too.  Paid for the darn thing last week.  I had a BMW loaner car when I paid for the Rpod because BMW had mine for the transport system install.  I have relied on the "word" of three folks at BMW.  It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 1:46pm
I don't own a BMW, but I'd be surprised the I-Drive would control trailer braking. It appears to be entertainment, navigation, and communication. Your answer will have to come from the auto side, not the camper side, of the hitch. Either BMW or someone like etrailer.com. I would not expect the RPOD dealer to know the specifics of BMW. I would like, but not expect, the dealer to admit "I don't know".
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

I don't own a BMW, but I'd be surprised the I-Drive would control trailer braking. It appears to be entertainment, navigation, and communication. Your answer will have to come from the auto side, not the camper side, of the hitch. Either BMW or someone like etrailer.com. I would not expect the RPOD dealer to know the specifics of BMW. I would like, but not expect, the dealer to admit "I don't know".

I plan on stopping by the BMW dealer and hopefully find out what I need to know.  Keep in mind the head service manager told me over the phone my braking would work......interesting situation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>