R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing with BMW X3 of X5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with BMW X3 of X5
    Posted: 22 May 2016 at 8:51am
I've never heard of this system. The only way I could see that the X3 could proportionally control the trailer brakes is by using accelerometer sensors already int he vehicle for the stability control system to use. Could they have coded the ECU to detect the accelerometer readings and how would the control the varying electrical signal to the trailer brakes? Sounds sketchy. I would get proof before trying to tow the R-Pod. If it doesn't active your trailer brakes at all, you will really put some wear on the X3 brakes. Not safe.

What is the max tow rating for the X3? Max tongue weight limit?  I assume a V6 engine?

EDIT: Found 3000 pounds tow limit for the AWD version?

Thinking about it, if there is no trailer brake controller, what will control the trailer brake signal?? This sounds odd. I've seen 1650 lbs being the max trailer weight for un-braked trailers on many vehicles. Over 1650 lbs should have it's own braking system controller by a brake controller tied into the tow vehicle braking system.

Try www.bimmerfest.com forum to learn about your X3 capabilities, they will have more info than the R-Pod forum Good Luck.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 8:22am
i pick up my Rpod on Monday.  I have a 2015 BMW X3.  BMW installed the OEM transport system.  It's a slick design and when the system is not in use its nearly invisible.  Is anyone else towing with this system.  I am told the seven pin as a controller is wired and will recognize the trailer brakes when the trailer is plugged in.  The car was reprogrammed so when I brake the car I will brake the trailer.  In addition the dynamic traction control will compensate for any sway of the trailer and the back up cam now has a handy feature that guides lining up the SUV to the trailer for hitching.  So all this "sounds" terrific but I haven't been able to hook something up.  When I read about traditional brake controllers they are in the car.  BMW tells me this system is integrated and programmed into the car.  Reprogramming the car the was two hour process.  I have this horrible fear I will show up to get my Rpod and something will have gone wrong.  Has anyone used this system?  I did get all this information from the head BMW service manager.  Is it really possible all this is "integrated" and I plug in the trailer an go?  I'm hoping this is the case. BMWsare smart cars and the cost was $1600Embarrassed.  Couldn't find anyone else to do the work who would touch it.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345