Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew owners 179 with questions - Event Date: 20 May 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New owners 179 with questions
    Posted: 20 May 2016 at 12:49pm

For you the Ram or F150 would be great. I'm a Ford man, but still on the fence Ecoboost vs 5.0L. Ecoboost is Ford's attempt to meet Government MPG mandates and still retain performance. The cost is more complexity and shorter engine life. In that respect the Ram may have an advantage. When towing there's no substitute for cubic inches. The F250 would be way overkill for a Pod. 

Charlie, I agree on the complexity, but shorter engine life,I can't find any thing that supports that. At 110,000 mile and not a problem engine wise,also owners with the same but newer have had the same experience. I have friends with the f150 with a v/8 getting the same mileage as I do. The dealer I bought mine from let me test drive with my rpod on hills and that sold me on the eco boost.
      Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Craneman

For you the Ram or F150 would be great. I'm a Ford man, but still on the fence Ecoboost vs 5.0L. Ecoboost is Ford's attempt to meet Government MPG mandates and still retain performance. The cost is more complexity and shorter engine life. In that respect the Ram may have an advantage. When towing there's no substitute for cubic inches. The F250 would be way overkill for a Pod. 

Charlie, I agree on the complexity, but shorter engine life,I can't find any thing that supports that. At 110,000 mile and not a problem engine wise,also owners with the same but newer have had the same experience. I have friends with the f150 with a v/8 getting the same mileage as I do. The dealer I bought mine from let me test drive with my rpod on hills and that sold me on the eco boost.
      Moe

Like I said, I'm really on the fence here. I like the idea of the turboboost and the engine certainly does have impressive specs. That said I still believe getting more HP out of a smaller displacement must require more revolutions and/or more force, leading to more cylinder and bearing wear. It may be too soon to really see the long term longevity effects, but I'm open to arguments. Overall I see and industry trend to higher and higher RPM ratings for smaller and smaller engines. Some are now being rated at 6000+ RPM. That can't be good for longevity. Look at where the Diesels run. BUT, I'm keeping an open mind, what's left of it. I'd still like to own a 150 someday.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 4:40pm

I hear Ford is bringing back the Ranger(2017?), with a turbo-diesel, to "one up" GM's Colorado/Canyon diesels. It might be interesting.
B&K-Joslin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 5:21pm
I have a name and phone number at home for a man that sells a window for the R-Pod door. Frank told me he is selling about 10 Windows a day for R-Pods. The total cost is $129.50. As soon as I return home, I will send it to you.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 5:26pm
I'm not so worried about turbos. The improvements in metallurgy and lubrication technology should greatly increase the reliability when used in gasoline engines. The Army has run turbos on diesels for decades. The technology isn't new, but it certainly has improved.

I expect my Escape with 2L Ecoboost engine will hold up well. I really would rather have gotten a small Diesel. I saw a video with a British version of the Escape (Kuga) that had a Diesel. I really would like it if Ford were to bring the Diesel over here.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 5:31pm
Charlie, Long time owner of a F-150.  A 1994 model, standard cab, long box 4-speed stick w/OD to boot.  As of today the 5.0 L V-8 has 302,000 miles and still kicking.  Not pretty to look at with all the rust (salt) and dents from all the deer kills (31 so far) but is still dependable.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by jato

Charlie, Long time owner of a F-150.  A 1994 model, standard cab, long box 4-speed stick w/OD to boot.  As of today the 5.0 L V-8 has 302,000 miles and still kicking.  Not pretty to look at with all the rust (salt) and dents from all the deer kills (31 so far) but is still dependable.

302K miles on the standard engine is not surprising to me. The question is what condition would a 3.5L EcoBoost be in at 302K ?
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 8:02pm
That is an excellent question.  I know people that have the Ecoboost but the only one that has significant miles is my Toro rep. who drives a F-250 V-8 and that has 175,000 on it so far.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 9:51pm
Hi B&K-Joslin! Would you please email me the contact info for the door window guy? Thank you!

birderdiane526@gmail.com
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
grand beaver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 9:07pm
The jury is still out on the Ecoboost twin turbo technology as it's only been in the F150 since 2011. My 2014 F150 3.5 Ecoboost has been powerful, quiet and smooth except for a solenoid replacement for the trans at 19k miles. It has the perfect tow rating, power delivery and payload to haul the GrimPod (as were calling her now) The mileage is exaggerated as mine has a lifetime average of 15.6 (empty) over about 15k miles. The mileage plumments to 11 ish when towing but that's fine with me as I am never "that guy" who holds up traffic when crossing the Cascade Mtns here in Oregon. The smaller displacement 2.7 Eco which has been available since 2015 with it's higher MPG may even be a better choice for pulling our sized trailers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>