R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpreadsheet for Rpod & Tow Vehicle Loading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spreadsheet for Rpod & Tow Vehicle Loading
    Posted: 20 May 2016 at 4:23am

To help with loading my Rpod and tow vehicle I have created an Excel spreadsheet to analyze the loads for each. Further down in this posting you can download a compressed copy of the spreadsheet.

In the screenshots below, notice the Vehicle Capacities section, where there are some inputs for vehicle weights and capacities. Any cells that are shaded should not be changed, since they contain formulas for computing a value based on the contents of other cells. For both camp trailer and tow vehicle you’ll see values for cargo capacity, actual cargo load, and remaining cargo capacity.

The Loading Summary section gives total loaded vehicle weights, tongue weight, camper axle weight, % of GVWR and % of cargo capacity. These numbers will change to reflect the loads supplied in the Vehicle Loading section. The sub-section "Tow Vehicle Weight Distribution" is used to verify that axle loads do not exceed GAWR. Enter the front axle % weight, and the rear axel % is calculated. Front and rear axle loads are then calculated and can be compared to GAWR for each axle.

The Vehicle Loading section is where actual weights of load items are supplied. Each of these load weights is shown in the Weights column. Then each load is applied to either the camper or the tow vehicle by copying to the appropriate column. Several items might be needed more than once such as passengers, personal items, kayaks, etc. Other items may be needed in less than the full amount (i.e. fresh water). This is taken care of in the multiplier column. For example if only 7-1/2 gallons fresh water is loaded (25% of 30 gallons), the 25% multiplier is applied to the full weight (251 lbs.) giving 63 lbs. actual load. Totals for trailer and tow vehicle cargo loading are shown at bottom. The same totals show up as Cargo Load in the Vehicle Capacities section.

It is interesting to see how things change in the Load Summary section as load items are moved from tow vehicle to camper or the reverse. Tongue weight is transferred from the camper axle to the tow vehicle. With the loading that I have applied my tow vehicle is close to being maxed out concerning GVWR (94%). About all that could be done is load the camper with fewer items or transfer more load from tow vehicle to camper. Also I’ll need to determine weights on front and rear axles of the tow vehicle to see if they are within the GAWR for these axles. This can be done at a public roadside scale. With that information the percent weight distribution (front/rear) can be adjusted. It might be advisable that I get a more capable tow vehicle, something like an F150 pickup with V8. But I'll see how the present setup works out. I'm glad we got the lightest Rpod.

This spreadsheet has helped me determine best load distribution between camper and tow vehicle. Otherwise I would just be guessing. My tendency would have been to put too much cargo in the tow vehicle. With over 500 lbs. of available load capacity in the TV, the GVWR could easily be exceeded with the addition of tongue weight. Still to be determined is how to arrange load in the trailer to get a 10% tongue weight.

In the spreadsheet any of the cells that are not shaded can be changed to reflect actual load items, weights and other specifics for the camper and tow vehicle. If there are any errors or faulty logic, please let me know so these can be corrected. I have found it useful to have different versions of the spreadsheet reflecting different kinds of outings with different load items. I hope this spreadsheet will be of use for those with Rpods or other trailers.

Later edits:

Here's the latest version of the spreadsheet:

uploads/5337/Camper_&_Tow_Vehicle_Loading_-_GSSP.zip

I've been working on adjusting some of the layout of the spreadsheet, some of the input weights and their distribution. To view the screenshots below I have found it best to reduce the screen's magnification so that the entire screenshot is shown without having to scroll left and right. With a Mac use Command-minus. I believe with a PC it is Control-minus. 

There have been some adjustments to the hitch loading in that some of the hitch weight is being carried by the camper tongue, which lessens the load on the tow vehicle. Also for fun I adjusted the % weight distribution (front/rear) of the tow vehicle to see what distribution would max out the GAWR (rear) for the tow vehicle. Here are a couple of screenshots showing the latest iteration of the loading analysis. 

Below is the latest loading for the camper and tow vehicle.

It appears that my Toyota RAV4 tow vehicle is barely capable of towing my new Rpod camper. I don't like getting this close to the maximum GVWR. But it is what I have to work with right now. It will help having a 269 HP V6. Before embarking on my first trip to the Golden State Star Party near Mount Shasta, California, I'll have all of the tow vehicle's fluids changed - transmission, 4x4 transfer case, rear differential, etc. Even with the transmission cooler installed I'll need to keep an eye on coolant temperature when climbing over the Siskiyou Mountains from Oregon into California.

Best Wishes to All!

Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 7:54am

Thanks for posting.

I'm going to need some more coffee before digesting that many numbers, however.
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 3:40pm
Thanks for your reply, David. I'm still digesting the numbers myself. Forest River quickly responded to an e-mail question by saying the unladen camper weight includes the propane, but not the battery. So the camper load will be decreased by 32 lbs. Most all of the weights in the vehicle loading input section were gotten by use of a 25 lb. platform scale or bathroom scale for the heavier items. 

The main thing to watch for is that the maximum weights (GVWR) for either vehicle are not exceeded. Also the limits for tongue weight and tow vehicle axle loading (GAWR) must not be exceeded. Another thing to be aware of is the tongue weight is not included in "Cargo load" for TV load in the Vehicle Capacities section. So "Remaining capacity" must exceed tongue weight.

I find the spreadsheet to be quite enlightening as to how to load both camper and tow vehicle. It can easily be modified to fit other combinations of  vehicles. Just change the weights and load limits for both vehicles. Also the labels for items of load and their weights can be changed to fit any circumstance.

All the best to you and Dixie ("the wolf").
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 9:04pm
Preakness tomorrow and I'm practicing making Black Eyed Susan's. I don't see any provision for Maker's Mark, Effen Vodka, sour mix and orange juice. Let me practice making a few mnore and see if I can crunch those numbers for you!

Cheers!

fred

P.S. That really is impressive work!
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 9:24pm
Was there beer on the list?
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 7:27am
Originally posted by fwunder

Preakness tomorrow and I'm practicing making Black Eyed Susan's. I don't see any provision for Maker's Mark, Effen Vodka, sour mix and orange juice. Let me practice making a few mnore and see if I can crunch those numbers for you!

Cheers!

fred

P.S. That really is impressive work!

Depending what you do with them after practice making them working the spread sheet may become real simple and quick.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Pea Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 11:05am

lol
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Rustler

Hi Rpod Owners,

To help with loading my Rpod and tow vehicle I created an Excel spreadsheet to analyze the loads for each. Here are some screenshots showing the spreadsheet for an Rpod 171 HRE and Toyota RAV4:

<Screenshot>

Notice the Vehicle Capacities section, where there are some inputs for vehicle weights and capacities. Any cells that are shaded should not be changed, since they contain formulas for computing a value based on the contents of other cells. For both camper and tow vehicle you’ll see values for cargo capacity, actual cargo load and remaining cargo capacity. 

Also seen is the Loading Summary section, giving total loaded vehicle weights, tongue weight, camper axle weight, % of GVWR and % of cargo capacity. These numbers will change to reflect the loads in the Vehicle Loading section, shown below.

<Screenshot>

The Vehicle Loading section is where actual weights of load items are supplied. Each of these load weights is applied to either the camper or the tow vehicle in the appropriate column. Several items might be needed more than once such as passengers, personal items, kayaks, etc. Other items may be needed in less than the full amount (i.e. fresh water). This is taken care of in the multiplier column. For instance for fresh water with only 7-1/2 gallons loaded (25% of 30 gallons), the multiplier is applied to the full weight (25% of 251 lbs.) giving 63 lbs. actual load. Totals for trailer and tow vehicle cargo loading are shown at bottom. The same totals show up as Cargo Load in the Vehicle Capacities section.

It is interesting to see how things change in the Load Summary section as load items are moved from tow vehicle to camper or the reverse. Tongue weight is transferred from the camper axle to the tow vehicle. With the loading that I have applied my tow vehicle is close to being maxed out concerning GVWR (95%). About all that could be done is load the camper with fewer items or transfer more load from tow vehicle to camper. Also I’ll need to determine weights on front and rear axles of the tow vehicle to see if they are within the GAWR for these axles. This can be done at a public roadside scale. With that information the percent weight distribution (front/rear) can be adjusted. It might be advisable that I get a more capable tow vehicle, something like an F150 pickup with V8. But I'll see how the present setup works out. I'm glad we got the lightest Rpod.

I am pleased how this spreadsheet has helped determine best load distribution between camper and tow vehicle. Otherwise I would just be guessing. My tendency would have been to put too much cargo in the tow vehicle. With over 500 lbs. of load capacity available in the TV, the GVWR could easily be exceeded with the addition of tongue weight. Still to be determined is how to arrange load in the trailer to get a 10% tongue weight.

In the spreadsheet any of the cells that are not shaded can be changed to reflect actual load items, weights and other specifics for the camper and tow vehicle. If anyone would like a copy of the spreadsheet, send me a private message with your e-mail address. I'll send you a copy. If there are any errors or faulty logic, please let me know so these can be corrected. I see one error already. The % of GVWR for the camper should be based on total camper weight (including tongue weight), not net axle weight.

I hope this spreadsheet will be of use for those with Rpods or other trailers.

For any who would like to work with this spreadsheet using their own data I've included a compressed copy of the spreadsheet:

I had wished to be able to upload the actual Excel file. But the forum doesn't allow uploading that file type - only a compressed zip-file is allowed. So just unzip the file using your favorite file decompression program. Then open the file in Microsoft Excel and edit to fit your own circumstances. Change the camper and tow vehicle weight ratings. Then edit the list of load items and their weights to match what you carry with you. Copy these weights to either the camper or tow vehicle column. Results of the analysis are shown in the Loading Summary section. Just a reminder that the shaded cells contain formulas. So these are best left as is unless you know how to edit the formula. The unshaded cells can be edited to fit your situation. 

Another point to keep in mind is that according to Forest River propane is already included in the unladen vehicle weight. So in most cases you don't include that weight in the camper weight column. But if the propane tanks is for example 1/2 full you could include a negative 50% multiplier for that item. Just a small point to help the analysis be a bit more accurate.

Comments and suggestions would be welcome.

Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 9:31pm
Russ,

Thanks. This spreadsheet loads in LibreOffice just fine for those of us who don't own Microsoft Excel.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Russ,

Thanks. This spreadsheet loads in LibreOffice just fine for those of us who don't own Microsoft Excel.

Thanks for your comment Stephen. Another thing to remember is, according to Forest River, any batteries are not included in the unladen vehicle weight shown on the camper's road side sticker. So that load must be included in the camper column. Let us know how the spreadsheet works for you.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>