R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpreadsheet for Rpod & Tow Vehicle Loading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rustler View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spreadsheet for Rpod & Tow Vehicle Loading
    Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 12:41am
Originally posted by jimcarpin

Thank you so much for all the work you put into this. I am just getting started acquiring an R-Pod and tow vehicle and this spreadsheet puts my mind at ease regarding how much gear I can bring with me and not exceed limits. Thank you again. I see you added a few items to your screen shot. I will add some of them to the spreadsheet. I have deleted the telescope.

Jim I'm pleased you found the spreadsheet to be of use. As you have shown one can easily modify the cargo list and weights to match your own circumstances. Determining the tongue weight was easier than expected. My bathroom scale reads up to 350 lbs. So as I loaded cargo in the Rpod, the scale kept track of tongue loading, ending with 325 lbs. This is within the tow vehicle's maximum of 350 lbs. with loading being 11% of trailer weight. To get this I had to load quite a bit of cargo on the rear queen bed. Evidently the Rpod 171 is a bit heavy on the tongue. Also quite a bit of the telescope's weight was forward from the axle. Only the telescope's optical tube was on the rear bed.

On the way to my first campout the trailer was weighed at a public roadside truck scale with total weight of 3000 lbs. Also the tow vehicle weighed around 4500 lbs. with 52%/48% front-rear loading. This kept the Gross Axle Weight loading well within limits. This is all in line with what the spreadsheet had predicted. So it is a good tool to keep loads within safe limits.

Best wishes for you with your new Rpod, Jim. I have really enjoyed my new 171. First trip was by myself, so towing was a bit stressful. But the RAV4 was easily up to the job. Going from sea level crossing five 4000-foot passes was a breeze. Keeping the speed to 55 on flat grades and 50 climbing the hills helped keep the strain down on the tow vehicle. Next week my wife and I will be taking the Rpod for a weekend on the Oregon coast. While we live on the coast we'll be going further north.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
jimcarpin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 9:27pm
Thank you so much for all the work you put into this. I am just getting started acquiring an R-Pod and tow vehicle and this spreadsheet puts my mind at ease regarding how much gear I can bring with me and not exceed limits. Thank you again. I see you added a few items to your screen shot. I will add some of them to the spreadsheet. I have deleted the telescope.
JAC
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 2:20am
I've continued to use my spreadsheet for determining loads for trailer and tow vehicle. At the end of June I'll be taking my first long trip with the camper. One question that has come up in my mind is how to determine the tongue weight. I know they recommend that around 10% of the camper weight should be supported by the tongue. But how can you measure that? One can assume there is weight on the tongue since the camper isn't doing a wheelie when the stabilizer jacks are retracted. But how can one prevent overloading the tongue?

One solution I've come up with (but as yet not tested) involves using a regular 250 pound bathroom scale. I can support the tongue jack on a 3 foot long 2x6 board, one end of which is supported by a block of wood on the ground, the other end supported by the scale. If the tongue jack is at the 1/2 way location on the 2x6, then the scale will read 1/2 the tongue weight. So when I get 300 pounds tongue weight, the scale will read 150 pounds. 

Has anyone come up with a better way to measure tongue weight short of getting a 350 pound capacity scale? Does my plan seem like it would work?

In any case here is the latest iteration of my loading summary:

Here's the loading plan:

Comments and suggestions would be welcome.

Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 10:57pm
I'll try to do so. It may take a few days before I can get a round tuit.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 10:36pm
It will be interesting to see the results of your loading analysis. Could you post a screenshot of how it all turns out?

For some of the load weights I just estimated. But this afternoon I disconnected the battery and weighted it. This dropped the weight from 55 lbs. (my estimate) to 40 lbs. actual weight. The battery box is plastic - so very light. I should have weighed that too.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 10:14pm
I've only begun to look at it. I did adjust for the battery weight since I use two 6V batteries. They total to 121 lbs. I need to add the weight of the cases and my locks also, but I would need to take them off and weigh them. At least they are built of anodized aluminum, so they are not as heavy as they would be if I had made them from steel. Smile
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Russ,

Thanks. This spreadsheet loads in LibreOffice just fine for those of us who don't own Microsoft Excel.

Thanks for your comment Stephen. Another thing to remember is, according to Forest River, any batteries are not included in the unladen vehicle weight shown on the camper's road side sticker. So that load must be included in the camper column. Let us know how the spreadsheet works for you.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 9:31pm
Russ,

Thanks. This spreadsheet loads in LibreOffice just fine for those of us who don't own Microsoft Excel.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Rustler

Hi Rpod Owners,

To help with loading my Rpod and tow vehicle I created an Excel spreadsheet to analyze the loads for each. Here are some screenshots showing the spreadsheet for an Rpod 171 HRE and Toyota RAV4:

<Screenshot>

Notice the Vehicle Capacities section, where there are some inputs for vehicle weights and capacities. Any cells that are shaded should not be changed, since they contain formulas for computing a value based on the contents of other cells. For both camper and tow vehicle you’ll see values for cargo capacity, actual cargo load and remaining cargo capacity. 

Also seen is the Loading Summary section, giving total loaded vehicle weights, tongue weight, camper axle weight, % of GVWR and % of cargo capacity. These numbers will change to reflect the loads in the Vehicle Loading section, shown below.

<Screenshot>

The Vehicle Loading section is where actual weights of load items are supplied. Each of these load weights is applied to either the camper or the tow vehicle in the appropriate column. Several items might be needed more than once such as passengers, personal items, kayaks, etc. Other items may be needed in less than the full amount (i.e. fresh water). This is taken care of in the multiplier column. For instance for fresh water with only 7-1/2 gallons loaded (25% of 30 gallons), the multiplier is applied to the full weight (25% of 251 lbs.) giving 63 lbs. actual load. Totals for trailer and tow vehicle cargo loading are shown at bottom. The same totals show up as Cargo Load in the Vehicle Capacities section.

It is interesting to see how things change in the Load Summary section as load items are moved from tow vehicle to camper or the reverse. Tongue weight is transferred from the camper axle to the tow vehicle. With the loading that I have applied my tow vehicle is close to being maxed out concerning GVWR (95%). About all that could be done is load the camper with fewer items or transfer more load from tow vehicle to camper. Also I’ll need to determine weights on front and rear axles of the tow vehicle to see if they are within the GAWR for these axles. This can be done at a public roadside scale. With that information the percent weight distribution (front/rear) can be adjusted. It might be advisable that I get a more capable tow vehicle, something like an F150 pickup with V8. But I'll see how the present setup works out. I'm glad we got the lightest Rpod.

I am pleased how this spreadsheet has helped determine best load distribution between camper and tow vehicle. Otherwise I would just be guessing. My tendency would have been to put too much cargo in the tow vehicle. With over 500 lbs. of load capacity available in the TV, the GVWR could easily be exceeded with the addition of tongue weight. Still to be determined is how to arrange load in the trailer to get a 10% tongue weight.

In the spreadsheet any of the cells that are not shaded can be changed to reflect actual load items, weights and other specifics for the camper and tow vehicle. If anyone would like a copy of the spreadsheet, send me a private message with your e-mail address. I'll send you a copy. If there are any errors or faulty logic, please let me know so these can be corrected. I see one error already. The % of GVWR for the camper should be based on total camper weight (including tongue weight), not net axle weight.

I hope this spreadsheet will be of use for those with Rpods or other trailers.

For any who would like to work with this spreadsheet using their own data I've included a compressed copy of the spreadsheet:

I had wished to be able to upload the actual Excel file. But the forum doesn't allow uploading that file type - only a compressed zip-file is allowed. So just unzip the file using your favorite file decompression program. Then open the file in Microsoft Excel and edit to fit your own circumstances. Change the camper and tow vehicle weight ratings. Then edit the list of load items and their weights to match what you carry with you. Copy these weights to either the camper or tow vehicle column. Results of the analysis are shown in the Loading Summary section. Just a reminder that the shaded cells contain formulas. So these are best left as is unless you know how to edit the formula. The unshaded cells can be edited to fit your situation. 

Another point to keep in mind is that according to Forest River propane is already included in the unladen vehicle weight. So in most cases you don't include that weight in the camper weight column. But if the propane tanks is for example 1/2 full you could include a negative 50% multiplier for that item. Just a small point to help the analysis be a bit more accurate.

Comments and suggestions would be welcome.

Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
Pea Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 11:05am

lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>