R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSetting up trailer alone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting up trailer alone
    Posted: 19 May 2016 at 2:56pm
Welcome to the group and sure you will do fine, that's the advantage of having a small camper it makes things easier. I agree with David- " weird guy with a wolf " gets easier with "time/practice".
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 2:38pm

Congratulations and welcome to the group!

You should do just fine. I travel alone with my dog 100% of the time. The worst part is lining up the tow vehicle and trailer. This gets easier with time/practice. Some purchase a camera (but not me).

Most everything else doesn't require super-human strength, or a genius IQ (thank goodness). Level your trailer, side to side, with leveling blocks before unhitching - just back up onto them and then "chock" the wheels. Level front/back using the tongue jack when you unhitch. The stabilizers are not difficult, just a lot of turning the crank. There is an attachment for cordless drills that can be used, if desired.

So, can you do it alone....YES! If you have any particular questions, just ask!
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 2:12pm
You will be perfectly fine doing the unhitch and setup on your own, more time consuming than anything else.

Getting the camper back on the hitch will require a helper at first. Most importantly so you get the socket and ball aligned when backing up, and sometimes you need a second set of hands to slide the camper an inch or so for final alignment. Eventually most people can learn to back the truck up quite literally by feel, when it makes contact with the trailer. Sliding the trailer can be done solo too, with such a tiny camper it is more a matter of technique than strength. 
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 2:08pm
Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by dr.becky

You will do great.  My husband and usually travel together and one person tackles the indoor stuff and
 one the outdoor stuff, independently.  We laugh when folks have tiny dogs in huge rv's.  As we have a huge dog in our tiny trailer, 120 lb Bernese Mountain dog.  He does great, just sleeps by the door and has yet to steal anything off the table that is at his nose height.  

Oh my, that is a big dog.  Chihuahuas are definitely a good size for the r-pod.  My husband only occasionally comes to shows so mostly I'm on my own (which is fun)!
dr.becky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 12:42pm
You will do great.  My husband and usually travel together and one person tackles the indoor stuff and
 one the outdoor stuff, independently.  We laugh when folks have tiny dogs in huge rv's.  As we have a huge dog in our tiny trailer, 120 lb Bernese Mountain dog.  He does great, just sleeps by the door and has yet to steal anything off the table that is at his nose height.  
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 12:37pm
Hello- I just purchased a new 2016 R-pod 180.  I show chihuahuas and the main purpose of the trailer is to take to shows (and avoid hotel costs).  Shows are typically at fairgrounds and agricultural centers that provide camping facilities.  My question is this, how easy is it to unhitch and level the R-pod on you own? I consider myself a fit, active, strong and capable 51 year old woman.  Can I do this on my own?  It's kind of to late to back out as I've paid for R-pod and will pick it up Monday.  I'd like an honest appraisal of how many do the set up alone.  (since I know some people are laughing, yes it's good thing I show chihuahuas with such a small trailer)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123